1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: Project X: RWD Accord

does it go yet?

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    does it go yet?
    with the shitty weather being around i didnt have much time to do work, plus i'm low on funds..

i've ordered and have to pick up today:

clutch master/slave cylinders.
    brake line with ends.

what i need to pick up:

steel rod 8guage should do the job.
    misc heim joints for shifter links.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

so today in the pissing rain, i went to the wrecking yard and found another set of shifter cables with ends out of a 90 accord, and some 8mm hardened ready rod.... maybe now i can finish the shifter mechanism. clutch resivour.. blah blah.

also grabbed misc fittings and hoses for the clutch system as well.

also picked up a new clutch master cyl.

that hose that goes from the body of the car to the transmission for the clutch slave cylinder, i can get a new one for $45 .. .wtf..

also for the shifter cables i phone honda before i went to the yard... my price was something ridiculous like $550 or something plus tax~!

so i went to pnp and found pretty much every thing i need.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Hatch LXI, 01 Aurora, 76 chevy truck

PNP ftw! All the salvage yards around here are tryin to go 95 or newer. gay. I'm screwed. Your car is gonna be hotter than a whore on dollar days man, one of a kind!
    "If one has not failed, then one has not challenged himself.." -Ferdinand Porsche

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

found a SFC-VTEC Boxer series for 60 bucks locally with the harness.

yea i know i know.. blah blah.. its probably a piece of shit, and i might blow my motor up if i do it wrongly.. but i got this so i could cheat.. since i'm running the f22 ecu. i will just use this to run the vtec and get some half ass fuel management out of it as well lol.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

While I admire the creativity, that really is a halfassed way of doing it. $60 for that controller, and a pain in the ass to make it work properly (with the obvious risks involved)... or $60-$100 for a P13 ECU that will run it properly. You could probably find a cheap P13 on CB7tuner quite easily.

That, or as I mentioned to you previously... just get a P28, chip it, and run a custom tune. I can send you one of my maps easily enough.

However, knowing you... and seeing your B series swap, and now this gargantuan task... you just want the challenge, don't you?

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    so today in the pissing rain, i went to the wrecking yard and found another set of shifter cables with ends out of a 90 accord...
    90s have a slightly different shifter setup than the 91-93 models. I'm not sure if that just goes for the shifter itself, or if the cables are different as well. Since you've relocated everything anyway, it probably doesn't matter... but if the cables present a problem, that might be your answer.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

lol i dont even care anymore, i just want the car finished so i can get it out of the driveway....

yea i know its a half assed way of doing it, but if it works and good it will be the only half assed way lol... i will make it right eventually, just want to see how many people rag on me for this setup before i do hahaha. technically on paper and in my mind, there is no reason a setup like this couldnt work.. hell i could wire the vtec to the iab secondaries and it would probably work lol.

i'm going to add some other things like vac/boost guage, a/f guage. so i'm not totally going in blind. i want to add a oil pres guage to but dont know where to tap from yet.

as far as the shifter cables are concerned... i'm sure i will figure it out haha. i really really need to get some more pics of the car and what i've done so far... just have become so lazy and unambitious for some reason.
    Last edited by Vector; 06-19-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    lol i dont even care anymore, i just want the car finished so i can get it out of the driveway....

yea i know its a half assed way of doing it, but if it works and good it will be the only half assed way lol... i will make it right eventually, just want to see how many people rag on me for this setup before i do hahaha. technically on paper and in my mind, there is no reason a setup like this couldnt work.. hell i could wire the vtec to the iab secondaries and it would probably work lol.

i'm going to add some other things like vac/boost guage, a/f guage. so i'm not totally going in blind. i want to add a oil pres guage to but dont know where to tap from yet.

as far as the shifter cables are concerned... i'm sure i will figure it out haha. i really really need to get some more pics of the car and what i've done so far... just have become so lazy and unambitious for some reason.
    update update update

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

He's probably at the beach mackin on all the hunnies, thats where im headed
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

so is this a project dead now??? it seem like he was gettin a lot of work done on it quickly, then he stopped
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    so is this a project dead now??? it seem like he was gettin a lot of work done on it quickly, then he stopped
    wow.. some faith you have.... jk

no its not dead... i just hit a lazy streak.. as a matter of fact i have a small update coming.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

worked on the shifter linkage, its been a real bitch to get motivated out and work on it with the heat wave we're having....

it looks pretty rough, but actually works pretty well, i was able to tighten the throw of the shifter, feels nice and tight. i will be revising this design.

i was able to fab up the link on the spare tranny i had layin around.

now that i have a bunch of shit out of the way i can resume the project. i will be at it tomorow.
    Last edited by Vector; 07-02-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: no reason

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

jesus that looks complicated as

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

all that mechanism does is reverse the direction of the cables.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

haha thats pretty smart. but looks compliocated as!

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

updated pics, shifter assembly on the transmission pretty much complete..

all i can say is it feels good to be back at it again. i will be changing the pivot points of the arms so they turn smoother.

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

as far as i remember about the stock shift cable locations, wont your shift pattern be reversed the way you've set it up?

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

no, it would be reversed without this mechanism in place...since the shifter box is now in front of the transmission the direction of the of the cables to keep the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern. it needs to be reversed otherwise you will end up with 1st gear being reverse lol

i did not like the feel of this design over time as i played with it more it felt flimsy and weak, so i scrapped it and started over with a completely different design. something allot more robust and and stronger. the new setup uses 1 17mm bolt that has 2 sets of arms on bushings, the bolt is now secured through a 2 piece bracket rather than a 1 pc... it is also now 1000 times easier to take off the transmission since the bolts are now on the outside of the bracket rather than the inside, i will post pics sometime in the morning of the new design.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

i am so glad to see that we have people on here who aren't afraid to do what others think is impossible. and that shifter linkage is awesome, i hope you didn't throw the other one away, thats art, at least hang it on your shop wall.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

wow, that there is pure genius at it's finest. imagine the look on the tech's face when you show up at honda for their free 40-point inspection (whenever they're having that again...)

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

the new shifter assemble is in the car and installed with cables. the shifter box in the front of the car is temporarily mounted just so i can get a feel of where i want it permanently... i got some video of the shifter assembly working through the gears. unfortunately the batteries died in my camera shortly after so i have to go out and get new ones before i can get them off the camera.

gonna go see a movie tonight, when i get back i will put up pics and video of the shifter linkage installed and working. i have to say the new design shifts allot smoother and feels way tighter.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

alright, got the pics but i gota retake the video because for some reason it turned out distorted and messed up

anyways. here they are.

i gota modify the body around where the cables come into the car so i can bolt up that rubber seal to stop junk from coming in.

the extensions that goto the shifter from the cables are long and i would like to make them stronger as they flex a little when they are beat on. i ill probably add guides so they stay straight.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

oh thats cool

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

thaaaaaaaanxxxxxxs

i gots more stuff coming, i bought a set of lightweight yonaka seats from a buddy, they were only used for a couple days before he got nailed with a vi, he bought them new. also bought stuff for the clutch system. now i just gota find my line bender so i can run my clutch line..

not sure what i'm goin to work on next, probably get the mastercyl installed for the clutch..