Re: Project: X

i like this idea for locking it up

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...17046#12117046

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Hauntd ca3 View Post
    that is a fuckin mega project dude!!!
    have you thought bout using gen3 prelude 4ws set up?
    locking the steering so it dont move will be the interesting bit
    welding the rack up solid might work alright or some way of sticking some bolts thru therack housing and thru te rack itself.
    that just gave me an idea. thank you.

yea.. what i was actually initially thinking was that was just gonna weld a bracket around the input shaft and then weld it to the sub frame... i checked the tie rod ends and the rack itself... there was no play that i could physically detect, so i don't foresee any issues doing it that way... but things change right.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-09-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    yea ... that will be pretty much my last resort if my initial ideas fall through lol.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

^^^^ -- thanks to my bro-in-law for the material... those little strips of metal are frigin awsome
    i should be able to patch up most of the fender gaps with those

^^^^ -- car is able to support its own weight again... tomorow i will be finishing up here and then putting it on the ground so i can roll it around.... i want to move it closer to the garage. i would have gotten more done but the welder was being a prick... probably something to do with the 80ft extension cord i had it running through
    i have a 220v professional arc welder.. i think i might give that a shot over the mig tomorow for the heavier gauge steel.

i'm kinda working on a video as well.... not sure what i'm going to make of it... but i will post it when i'm done with it.

i didn't get back from the wrecking yard until noon or so... so i didn't get as much done as i hoped... plus with it being mothers day tomorow.. i had a bunch of running around to do.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 LX-i hatchback (for sale!) / 1992 LX sedan / 2009 Fit (the beater) / 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Ok, this is cool as hell...

And to all that doubted my S13 idea... THIS is the same concept. Vector's skills are undoubtedly far superior to mine, but otherwise, the idea is the same.

I really can't wait to see this completed.

-Mike- AIM = deevergote
    www.cb7tuner.com
    www.cd5tuner.com

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

tomorow looks like its gonna be raining. that blows because there would have been me an another guy that can weld better than me working on it... but looks like it will have to wait till mon or tues. however if its not raining, i will be working away at it.

Vehicle
    1989 4-Door Honda Accord DX/LX

Dude...seriously, if you pull this off your a god among the 3g community!!! I have never seen anything like this undertaken before on our cars. This car wil truely be a 1 of a kind. Kinda wish the Hondamino hadn't been destroyed...cause that car and yours are the most unique i've seen yet.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

unfortunately no work got done today being mothers day an all and teh fact it rained pretty much.. i will be back at it tomorow tho.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

hardcore dude when u wanna sell it let me know

took a whole year but i got the 100th post
    yet only took a month to get the 200th
    Dec. 05-Dec. 06
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei
    CAH pops rice-a-roni in his pants!

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by race12001 View Post
    hardcore dude when u wanna sell it let me know
    i will keep that in mind, altho i think if i were going to sell it, i probably should have done that before mating it with another car haha

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    ps... i made it this far... and i realized how much i hate the brakes on the 4g.... they work fine.. but a bitch to change. good thing i dont have to do it often, trying to find a way to convert them to drop off rotors.
    You can use Acura CL hubs, thus will solve your problem for good :p

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

the 4g breaks still have lots of meat on them... probably will last quite some time... i wont worry about it for now.

update on its way.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

^^^^ -- temp lockdown on the ps rack with vice grips.

^^^^ -- just finished alot of what i couldnt on the weekend, did some more bracing and did some welding on the front of the clip as well.

^^^^ -- by the end of the day i was able to put it back down on the ground, has no problem supporting its current weight. i even jumped on the back of it and while i was inside.... no funny noises or anything moving that shouldn't. haven't put my coil overs yet so its like 12" off the ground haha.

i wont stop there tho.. i'm going to completely box in the frame rails in the back and try to build a box around the front of the clip as well. the points underneath the car where the old trailing arms bolted to are still there, i will be using those a support as well on the front of the clip.

before i sat the car down on the ground.. i slotted a piece of aluminum L channel on both sides and set it on top of the upper control arm nuts to make sure that it didn't just fold into itself when it was put back on the ground. i measured before and after... the strut towers didn't budge from there current position.

i would have done more work, but i ran out of wire for my mig welders.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-12-2008 at 08:36 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

that was fast, cool too.. you make it looks easy lol. i think i'll use up all my very limited bandwidth in this thread

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Project X: RWD Hatch

considering i'm only putting in 2-3 hours a night of actual work... i think i'm doin alright..

can someone change the thread topic from "Project X" to "Project X: RWD Hatch"

please and thankyou.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

no update today as its pissin rain out

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I believe there should be a big 3geez community gathering so everyone can experience the feel of a rwd 3gee.

P.S. How long is the clutch cable going to be?!
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    I believe there should be a big 3geez community gathering so everyone can experience the feel of a rwd 3gee.

P.S. How long is the clutch cable going to be?!
    no cable for me.... hydro.

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

didnt get a whole lot done today as i wasnt feelin to good... but never the less i got some more weldin done... i think i can start on the front of the sutframe now, i went over some of the old welds as i didnt really trust them when i was welding through the 80ft extension cord. but now it works like a charm.

^^^^ -- alittle more re-enforcement on the rear of the subframe.
    i will be going over alot of these welds with a wirewheel and grinder to clean up the welds and check them and then patch what ever needs patched...then get it ready for paint.

^^^^ -- put the coilovers in on the back of the car. i seem to have misplaced the ones for the front of the car so i couldnt set the whole thing down lowered
    thats with the coils set to the lowest possible setting.

i also took this vid here. i didnt have a spring compressor lol.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-14-2008 at 08:52 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Re: Project X: RWD Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    considering i'm only putting in 2-3 hours a night of actual work... i think i'm doin alright..
    I definitely agree.
    What is with the flux core wire though?
    Also, I am really curious, what is your background? It takes more than just balls to attempt a project like this, I know that..

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Re: Project X: RWD Hatch

well.. what if i siad i had pretty big balls... and ya mix that with some comon sense, and then some experience and math... well you get a project like this...
    since i dont know the outcome of this project, right now i'm building it one step at a time assuming the next piece will just fall into place... so far its working for me...

the absolute part i'm being anal about is the subframe and how its being welded in, if i screw that up... then this whole project will fail. but since i'm going overboard with the whole support thing, i dont see that being a problem... everything else will be a piece of cake once this part is done.. and its becoming very close to done. i literally dropped it from about 1ft to see what would happen.... and it bounced alittle.. thats it. nothing bent or moved(thank god)

flux core wire?.. what about it... it works awsome when its plugged into an adiquate 110v outlet. i cant afford a gas welder let alone the gas it needs to work properly, so i picked up a 90amp mig welder for like 100 bucks or somthing on sale. thats what i've been using for all my projects. i originally bought it for doing exhausts.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-14-2008 at 09:22 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle

I was just wondering if your background was mechanical engineering, or something along those lines, guess not.

As far as the flux core, have you welded with a mig before? I know you can afford it, the mig conversion for my lincoln wirefeed was only a few hundred, and the co2 refill is only like 20 something bucks. That cylinder lasts me forever, too. The mig is just so much cleaner, you can see what you're doing so much better, there's no real smoke to breathe if your base metal is clean, and you have more control on thinner metal, (although still nowhere near the control you get with a tig).
    With something like what you're doing where the fab quality is so key to the integrity of the entire project, there is no way I wouldn't be anal about the welding. Not that you can't get the same quality, but it is a lot more work with the innershield wire. Just something to consider, I'm pretty sure if you can buy/rent/borrow one, you won't regret it. You'll probably never use flux core again..

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

it was pretty bad when i first started.. kinda gave me that omg what am i doing with this cheap pos, not thinkin about the extension cord was going through.

now that i'm working off a diferent outlet with a 20ft cord thats made for small welders it actually works like a dream.. i know the splatter is bad and it doesnt look as clean, but it does get the metal nice and hot and it all goes together pretty smooth and clean compared to before.

as this is my first major project with this car.. i can tell you that if i like it.. i will spring to get a decent welder for my next project.

SEi User
    Vehicle

Yeah, we're sort of in the opposite places..maybe if I hadn't spent that couple grand on my last welder, I'd actually be able to get something done on my car, who knows.
    But I'd never even consider doing what you're doing, I'd be too afraid of some drunk idiot totaling my car right after I got it driving, and then getting literally nothing from the insurance company. Insurance companies I've talked to do Not insure or pay for modified cars, to them every mod you do only decreases the value of the car. Even if you have a stated value policy, they will still find a way to get around paying you anywhere near the actual or stated value of the car. (Progressive told me that I could pay for a stated value, but then if the car was totaled, they would re-appraise it themselves, and most likely only give me a small percentage of what I'd been paying on. ) Every single time I pick up a tool or spend a dollar to work on my car, that is always in the back of my head. I just tell myself that if that happens, I'll just take most of my shit, drop it in a civic and have a lighter, faster car anyway. Maybe the laws are different where you live, hopefully they are. Here, you're legally required to have insurance, but the insurance companies can do pretty much whatever they want. Must be sweet for them, lol.
    Anyway, good job on your project, and if you get any spare time, you should stop by a welding store and try out some equipment, you'll see what I mean..

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

well as far as insurance goes... i'm not to worried about it here, i have a 1997 teg and mods are in my sig. i've kept every single receipt for that car since its worth more than the 3g... the 3g will only be of value to anyone else who knows what the car will be capable of in the end result.

the insurance companies here regardless of what kind of car you drive.. will try and pay as little as possible unless you bitch hardcore at them..

if my integra gets writen off you can be assured that i will get 4-6g's for it as i have logged and kept reciepts for everything that went into that car. will i get pack what i've paid for it? probably not(about 8k into it inc cost of car) but since my record is clean its only fair that i try and get as much back as possible...

if the 3g were to get writen off?... well they can say whatever, i will still bitch alittle... i will take what i need out of the car... they can have it and i will build another one. ofcourse its worth more with the proper VI paper in order right. there are loop holes here to get this thing to pass, and i will try just so i have them.

i'm not doing this to make money off of it or put lots of money into it, i'm doing this because i want to learn more and test my skills. i want to be able to show up at a race track and have the tech official shit his pants....its been more than rebuilt.

i dunno if the places around here will let me try the welders out... doesnt hurt to ask tho.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-15-2008 at 12:13 PM.