Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Vector - 1988 DX - RWD Accord

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Re: Project X: RWD Accord

Better late than never, pics as promised... i have steve coming back over this weekend hopefully to finish up the welding. meanwhile i'm going to start working on the other stuff that the motor needs to run.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

looks good!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

i love it!! i expect to see videos of it doing a skid or something in a week from now lol :P
    Last edited by A18A; 05-29-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Looking sweet! You have lots of room to put a nice big turbo in there!
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX-i

man i know u dont need to be told it looks good but when u get done with it u need to post a vid doin a donut

took a whole year but i got the 100th post
    yet only took a month to get the 200th
    Dec. 05-Dec. 06
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest89sei
    CAH pops rice-a-roni in his pants!

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Hatch LXI, 01 Aurora, 76 chevy truck

so is this one of them sleeper types, remaining stock as possible outside or you goin full out custom? that'd be kinda neat, huh? like a S2000 interior or somethin crazy like that.
    "If one has not failed, then one has not challenged himself.." -Ferdinand Porsche

wow... just wow... looks good man..
    one day I'll return.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord 2.0i-16 | '89 Accord 1.6 STD | '84 Opel Ascona

Needs some real dark tinted back windows

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by russiankid View Post
    Looking sweet! You have lots of room to put a nice big turbo in there!
    right now i do... until i put the firewall in.

Quote Originally Posted by race12001
    man i know u dont need to be told it looks good but when u get done with it u need to post a vid doin a donut
    yea... probably the first thing i will do with it, if the open diff will let me haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 86nlife2go
    so is this one of them sleeper types, remaining stock as possible outside or you goin full out custom? that'd be kinda neat, huh? like a S2000 interior or somethin crazy like that.
    complete stock on the outside. even most of the 3g interior will remain except for the cluster which will have to be modified for electronic speedo and led fuel level.

Quote Originally Posted by Naf's Asdf
    Needs some real dark tinted back windows
    i dont think i will bother tinting as it will have carpet/vinyl over everything. i'm debating on even putting in a window on the top of the cover so you can see the valve cover/intake manifold from the back window.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-29-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Vehicle
    1982 VW Scirocco, 1995 Acura Integra LS. Previously Owned: 1989 Accord LXi, 1991 Civic DX

Wow..finally the pics ive been waiting to see. Looks like she sits in there very nicely, i hope theres little to no issues getting everything to work

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteLXI View Post
    Wow..finally the pics ive been waiting to see. Looks like she sits in there very nicely, i hope theres little to no issues getting everything to work
    i'm pretty sure i'm past the hard part lol... everything else should be a breeze.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

sweet

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

haha that h22 looks mighty minter in there cant wait to see it cut some O's

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

SWEET!
    2004-2011?

2ndGenGuy

Now your car will have a frunk!

LX User
    Vehicle
    2006 350Z 89 Sei 5 speed

This is very very interesting, can't wait to see how it turns out. Great work man!

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

That's fuckin cool. Guy (the guy who hates my car, and painted it) says the only way he'll ever like my car is if I do what you did with a turbo'ed V6.

Anyways, a few questions:

Wheel and chassis alignment. All that welding will shrink and distort stuff. Have you developed adjustability into the suspension so your wheels will end up in the right places? We all know that bad alignment means a bad handling car. How did you locate things like suspension angles precisely?

CVSE. I don't know how they are in the Okanagan, but in the Kootenays they become real bastards in the springtime. I've gotten tickets for fucking stupid shit like my factory exhaust, which the roadside inspector moron didn't recognise, several for the 33x12.5-15 tires on my toyota, cracked windshields, a tear in my drivers seat, etc. I could only imagine what they'd do if they saw your car.

Exhaust and road noise. You're engine bay is now in your interior, and things that move like the CV shafts and exhaust can't be sealed up due to movement and heat. How are you going to keep out the road spray and not gas yourself while driving? The Hemi under glass has a firewall between the engine and the cab, with a window in between.

Rust prevention. I recommend turning up the heat and running a cap over all of your welds. It'll be easier now that there is a bead there already, it won't burn through as much. Plus you'll seal pinholes and burn out any leftover flux from the fluxcore. I've done tons of this work before, trust me, you want to run over some of your initial welds again, For the sake of strength and appearance, please do it. Also, you should head over to Lordco and get several tubes of Pro-form PF 206 (I think is the number) seam sealer. Run a bead of this over all of your joints. Tell them you're with the Kootenay Mopar Club and get a 30% discount over list price.

Anyways, sounds fast. I'll race you someday when I move back to Castlegar.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    That's fuckin cool. Guy (the guy who hates my car, and painted it) says the only way he'll ever like my car is if I do what you did with a turbo'ed V6.

Anyways, a few questions:

Wheel and chassis alignment. All that welding will shrink and distort stuff. Have you developed adjustability into the suspension so your wheels will end up in the right places? We all know that bad alignment means a bad handling car. How did you locate things like suspension angles precisely?

CVSE. I don't know how they are in the Okanagan, but in the Kootenays they become real bastards in the springtime. I've gotten tickets for fucking stupid shit like my factory exhaust, which the roadside inspector moron didn't recognise, several for the 33x12.5-15 tires on my toyota, cracked windshields, a tear in my drivers seat, etc. I could only imagine what they'd do if they saw your car.

Exhaust and road noise. You're engine bay is now in your interior, and things that move like the CV shafts and exhaust can't be sealed up due to movement and heat. How are you going to keep out the road spray and not gas yourself while driving? The Hemi under glass has a firewall between the engine and the cab, with a window in between.

Rust prevention. I recommend turning up the heat and running a cap over all of your welds. It'll be easier now that there is a bead there already, it won't burn through as much. Plus you'll seal pinholes and burn out any leftover flux from the fluxcore. I've done tons of this work before, trust me, you want to run over some of your initial welds again, For the sake of strength and appearance, please do it. Also, you should head over to Lordco and get several tubes of Pro-form PF 206 (I think is the number) seam sealer. Run a bead of this over all of your joints. Tell them you're with the Kootenay Mopar Club and get a 30% discount over list price.

Anyways, sounds fast. I'll race you someday when I move back to Castlegar.
    i know the welds look like shit now, but i got the gas mig coming back on sunday, so hes gonna finish that up for me.. it will look alot better once its done...

as far as inspections go.. they can stab it all they want... there will be no holes or visible rust under the car when its done, it will look like its meant to be. in other words i will be taking it to a designated inspection facility and asking them to look it over... if they think it will pass.. then good i will pay the fee, give me the papers so i have them.

the suspension alignment and welding was measured and eye balled after.. it was tacked in.. checked with wheels on, tacked some more... then checked again.. after a certain point i just had steve weld in the rest because the car could support its own weight already at this point.

the car will have a fire wall or hump that covers the engine and will be covered or vinyled and interior side dynomated and exterior probably rock guard or rhino guard type stuff. i would like to put a window over the valve cover/intake manifold, but now coming to think of it might not pass inspections with it. noise, gassing myself aint gonna happen. the exhaust... will be made to be quiet.. the quieter the better.. i'm so over loud exhausts.. even the lightly modified ones get to loud for my liking like what i have on my integra. it will be 4-2 layout.. i want to hear the intake over exhaust.. thats the sound i want.

thanks for the tip on the seam sealer, wasn't sure what i'd use for that. i was just going to do alittle primer and rock guard underneath the back of the car and carpet/moded stock interior.

as far as an update of what i did today....

well i spent a good 2 hours looking for my shifter cables, i finally found them coiled up with my cb7 wiring(weird place).. but i layed it all out, the cables i was going to use as extensions arent long enough, so i'm just going to find another set of 4g/5g accord/lude cables and throw a short shift swivel in the middle.
    my throttle cable end is wrong on my extension for that, so i have to find somthing else.

electrical, well found out that my obd1 integra plugs are different than the plugs for the ob1 lude engine wiring, so i'm going to make a new wire set from the cb7 front clip i had, its ob1 so its all good.
    Last edited by Vector; 05-29-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

cool. should be easy to wire the wiring sicne most wire colours in hondas are the same.

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

great job man, that looks really great

i'm amazed that you are actually doing this, at all!

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX-RWD

update:

did a mock up on the cooling system today, i have a pretty good idea on how i'm going to run it. i scored 20ft of 1-1/4" alu tubing for like 5 bucks from a local recycler... damn good price compared to anywhere else i've called for it. i cut up misc coolant hoses to get the bends i need. nothing is forced together.. its how it sits nice and slack... just gota bolt'er down.

i am not going to bother taping or runing a line for the heater core, i'm just going to install an electric element in the heater box. that will be nice when it gets cold out. instant heat

I started working on the shifter, but i have to find another set of 4g accord/lude cables as the second set of cables i am using from the shifter have the wrong ends on them.. and they are alittle to short for my liking.
    Last edited by Vector; 06-01-2008 at 05:22 PM.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

sweet!! looks cool

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

great idea
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    2010/Honda/Civic Si

I've read your whole thread and man you are doing awesome. The rear should have as much alignment adjustability as the front (would they charge you for 2 alignments at a shop for that car?). I had one thought for the fire wall: Use a bolt down system for it so you can remove it for easy access to the engine to do work. Sealing that would be a problem. Either way you will have a ton of room to work with compared to the engine bay of most cars. This car will become a beast with a built motor. It should lay down some decent 1/4 mile times too. I wish I could see it in person.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I like the cooling pipe idea. Maybe you could put some type of ducts in the back that could allow heat to escape from the engine area to prevent a lot of heat.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)