Thread: My car is acting up.

Bass Man

My car is acting up.

Yep... It's one thing after another with this thing!

To start, I did the complete Vac removal like this:

And manual secondaries and took the choke out

I also have an Accel Super Stock coil, NGK Spark plugs (gapped to .045" (This problem started a day after I gapped them from ~.035")), and a flex-pipe back exhaust.

2 days ago I noticed my car would die if it got under 1300 RPMS warm, so I went on about the day...

Yesterday, it was doing the same thing, but I noticed that if I am cruising in any gear, and go from 10% throttle to 40% throttle, I can make a hesitation about twice a second, but if I go over 45%, it smooths out, and if I go below 40%, to drives fine, but I can't let the clutch out and not give it gas to keep it idling...

I plugged the vacuum line (yea, that's right, the ONLY vacuum line) and it did the same thing... Checked my spark plugs... They looked absolutly perfect, and also did a compression test... #1 162lbs #2 158 lbs #3 160lbs #4 180 lbs

Also checked my wires, cap and rotor... All were fine...

Now that I look at it, I might need to re-gap my spark plugs, but what I don't get, is there are a lot of people who gap their plugs to .050" and get away with it...

Here is a curve ball for you all; when I was doing my comp. test, I unplugged the coil wire from the coil and turn the car over, and while I was, it sparked like this: "Pow, pa pa, Pow, pa pa, Pow, pa pa" Like one wasn't firing.
    Last edited by Bass Man; 04-27-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: My car is acting up.

wow, that was hard to follow and I really tried
    you answered your own question about the gap, no way would I run over 42 on anything myself, it will cook your electrodes essentially cutting the plug life three fold. Besides, with the current blends of gasoline it is a wonder if we wont have to start using glow plugs of some sort.. LOL
    Did you retain our solenoid in the middle rear of the carb>?
    How about PVC vaccuum, which the diagram does not show, brake booster ?
    How sensative is the secondary mod? you may have it opening at the wrong time.
    About a dozen other things that could be going on here. YOu can run more advance in the dist. with the stage 3 too. How did you handle the EGR, It may need to be blocked off completley. Float level?

Bass Man

The solenoid is in the back of the carb.
    Don't know where the PVC would be.
    I can open the secondaries at 55% throttle.
    I still have vacuum advance, and I hope I am only pinging, cuz it's got a knock something fierce.
    The EGR is still there, only thing I did was pull the Vacuum off.
    And I did think about the float level, and it was at about 1/4 bowl, so I started messing with some screw and I even'd it out... Nothing changed.

You think it has to do with my gap, huh? Even with the 42,000 volt coil?
    Last edited by Bass Man; 04-27-2008 at 07:04 AM.

Bass Man

Well, I regapped my plugs to .041"... Made it drive better for a second, then started back on pissing me off.

It will idle fine if I keep it about 1500 for a second, but when I stop at a stop sign, I have to repeatedly blip the throttle to keep it running, and if I hold the pedal down to a certain point, it likes to jump as if I had warped rotors...

Bass Man

I thought it might have been the venturi tubes (NOT the boosters, they are tight) so I took the top hat off and was amazed what was inside!

Gas!! and ONLY gas! No gunk, whatsoever! So I grabbed an almost empty can of "Engine degreaser", took the nozzle thing off, inverted the can, and pressed the tube into all the holes I needed to clean out... Worked pretty good I must say!

I put the tophat back on and took the secondary filter out... I don't think it was stock, cuz it was a Fram, so I put my air blower in the "Out" side and let 'er rip... Nothing but gas...

I have doubt it is a fuel filter or pump, cuz apart from idle and a certain spot in my throttle, it doesn't feel starved of gas...

I also re-gapped my plugs BACK down to .038... Didn't change a thing.

I know my Coil is fine, cuz I shocked the crap outta myself pulling all 4 wires, checking if any 1 plug made a difference...

Does my recent lack of oil pressure have anything to do with this?? I don't think these are hydrolic lifters...(It's at around 9-11 lbs at idle, 50lbs first start, 20lbs when it hesitates at 40% throttle, and 50lbs at 5.5kRPM)

If the A20A1 DOES in fact have hydrolic lifters, then it will all point to my oil pressure.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I about to call bullshit Bass, dam dude... wth
    you just posted about racing somebody but your car is not running right?
    and you do know that the car does not have lifters it is OHC dude.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

getting 12 v at that solenoid in the back o das carby?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Advance the timing and verify that the vacuum advance is working with the way your vacuum lines are routed. Use a timing light if you have one to see if its advancing when you up the rpms.

Fuel in the carb hat like that could be to much fuel pressure or the accelerator pump has gone wild and dumping fuel.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Bass Man

I was checking my timing last night and noticed it would retard and advance at a pretty odd pace, unless the difference in vacuum bewteen 900-1100 is that obvious.

Bass Man

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I about to call bullshit Bass, dam dude... wth
    you just posted about racing somebody but your car is not running right?
    and you do know that the car does not have lifters it is OHC dude.
    We weren't trying to idle the fastest... My car runs fine if it isn't idleing or at 40% throttle. I still have manuel secondaries, and when I floor it, my car GOES.
    Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    getting 12 v at that solenoid in the back o das carby?
    I'm sure I am, but I will check today.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    We weren't trying to idle the fastest... My car runs fine if it isn't idleing or at 40% throttle. I still have manuel secondaries, and when I floor it, my car GOES.

call that V-tuck

Bass Man

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Fuel in the carb hat like that could be to much fuel pressure or the accelerator pump has gone wild and dumping fuel.

wp
    Well, I noticed a lot of "moist" in my air box.

Bass Man

V-tuck?

Bass Man

Got it fixed!! Just like new.

The RED is where I had it going, and I put "14" on the "B" of the Jet controll module. Not to confuse people, but I took the Air Jet controller off a long time ago, and I put vacuum to where "B" used to go.

I'm thinking I need to but that Controller back on.