Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom bumpers.

2ndGenGuy

Re: Custom bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post
    Well,i compared the head pattern and is the same as my Accord EL head/engine,but yes,the intake and exhaut manifold is different as well as the camshaft and carb,thats why i purchased the whole thing,head,intake & ehaust manifold,camshaft and carburetter to make everything fit just right. I´ll post the result of this swap soon.
    It's REALLY REALLY REALLY close. The studs are only off by a few millimeters. Get a headgasket for the 81 and put it up to the 82 cylinder head. You'll see the slight difference.

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Unhappy Re: Custom bumpers.

Brother...u r damn right.. i compared the heads ant there is a difference in 3 of the head bolts,they r off only 3 milimeters...i just ask WHY!!???...i got 2 choices now:1º- I have the whole quintet engine,i can just swap the engine... 2º- Try to keep trying to make it work between my quintet head and my accord block modifying something. ;( in any case i want more horses!!! hahaha
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    '78 Honda Civic with Accod Motor

its not just those three studs though. Look closely at the ports btw the 79-81 heads and the 82-83 head. The entire sequence btw the intake and exhaust valves are off, making for an entirely different cam, etc.

Very few parts swap over between the years. They really should have called it an EK1 and and EK2.

2ndGenGuy

Brother...u r damn right.. i compared the heads ant there is a difference in 3 of the head bolts,they r off only 3 milimeters...i just ask WHY!!???...i got 2 choices now:1º- I have the whole quintet engine,i can just swap the engine... 2º- Try to keep trying to make it work between my quintet head and my accord block modifying something. ;( in any case i want more horses!!! hahaha

You should just swap the whole engine. The bottom end between the 81 and 82-83 engines won't make any difference. The power gain, I'm pretty sure is in the head in that one. The 82-83 EK1 engine is the most powerful of the early E series motors. I think it would wake up quite nicely with a cam and a big carb setup (as redr2 has in his Civic).

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Exclamation Re: Custom bumpers.

Thats right ppl,thanks for the feedback. Well,my dilema is that i brought a brand new crankshaft,pistons and rings for my Accord EL engine,thats why i want to use my Accord block,unless all this stuff can be installed in my Quintet EL engine,they are both 1.600 cc,so i suppose my new crankshaft and pistons would fit ok. In this case,i can just swap the engines. I think i need to ask my parts dealer if they are the same.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Thats right ppl,thanks for the feedback. Well,my dilema is that i brought a brand new crankshaft,pistons and rings for my Accord EL engine,thats why i want to use my Accord block,unless all this stuff can be installed in my Quintet EL engine,they are both 1.600 cc,so i suppose my new crankshaft and pistons would fit ok. In this case,i can just swap the engines. I think i need to ask my parts dealer if they are the same.
    I think the earlier bottom end bits should still work - though I believe '82-3 had fractionally higher compression ratio due to different pistons otherwise interchangeable with 79-81.
    Late '80 the flywheel/crankshft bolts went from M10 to M12 with a slightly bigger diameter end to the crank -different oil seal.. carried through into '82-3 models.

Dragging things back onto topic....

I figured I may as well drag in these pictures from an older topic on the forum:
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54239

Of a 1g Accord apparently fitted with 2g Integra bumpers for anyone who might be interested in trying such things.

Last edited by 79cord; 07-03-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

that is pretty cool.. even has a nice vtec swap

the rear end reminds me of an ae86

2ndGenGuy

That's the one I was thinking of when you started this thread, but I couldn't remember where it was. It's got some sort of sideskirts on it too. Whoever fitted those did a pretty nice job. The rear one especially looks like part of the car. I would have left the grille black though, and maybe added some chrome strips on the bumpers, or had some black trim around the car to kinda tie everything together.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

that red 1g looks awesome. the rear bumper sticks a bit far out for my liking, but it's still cool. those round bumpers suit them alot better than 2nd & 3rd gen accords

Vehicle

Just to show this concept isn't dead yet. Some teaser photos.
    Though I have been distracted by other things since I still have to modify the bumpers & make up new mounts.
    The fact the bumpers coach bolts are AGAIN turning in their holes to make removal difficult another factor & why I couldn't 'mock-up' the front bumper easily.

Holden / Isuzu Gemini
    '84 BMW 5-series rear.

Was a little worried more delicate bumpers might make the Accords chunky styling look like a fat girl wearing a Bikini, but I think it gets away with it well.
    Even though the Tooling/Assembly fixture hole & depression on the lower rear 1/4 might be exposed slightly by the little Gemini bumpers.
    Last edited by 79cord; 08-13-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

i say the gemini one looks good

oh yeah

i really LOVE that^^

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I like that BMW bumper, shortened to fit of course.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

2ndGenGuy

Yeah the 5 series bumper would look good if you shortened it right up to the fender line. I like the longer bumpers, the short ones look like something is missing from the car, since there is no trim or moldings back there...

Vehicle

2ndGenGuy Re: Custom bumpers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I like the longer bumpers, the short ones look like something is missing from the car, since there is no trim or moldings back there...
    I might agree with you if my car still had its side trim mouldings, but since it doesn't...

Besides I'm more used to seeing the car with the older style small bumper ends, & as you noted, as soon as you start to visually link the bumpers to the car it becomes more obvious when they're a fair distance from the body. As seperate elements they are easier to look past. & since these bumpers will not be as strong as Honda's I want to keep them a healthy distance from the body.
    I also want to get away from the Rubber-bound look & the BMW bumpers have numerous holes & depressions to mount their rubber trims.

Hopefully the car looks a little cleaner, shorter & perhaps sportier (if cheaper & less elegant) without the side moldings.

2ndGenGuy

Is there supposed to be a trim piece back there stock? I can't recall seeing one. I do like how you shaved the moldings on the doors. I'm tempted to do that to mine as well actually. It looks really good I think, especially since Honda left some nice body lines there. Some cars when you get rid of the moldings, just look like a big flat space (like a 92-95 Civic), but the Accords look great.

Vehicle

No trim-pieces on the sides at front & rear, though I have removed the trim piece between the body & bumper.

I found the original side trim pieces deceiving since the upper body creases protrude out further anyway... So if anyone thought they could open their doors onto the side trim they'd probably dent the side of the car first!
    I did briefly wonder about thicker side trims that might actually be functional.
    Or alternative trims placed where they could do some good on the upper crease line.

2ndGenGuy

Yeah they sold a ton of old Accords with the upper door protectors. I can't say I'm a huge fan of them. Here's one I saw at a car show. The car was damn nice and all original, they are the original owners... so mad props to them...

Vehicle

That does look like a very clean car, though I'm not generally a fan of such accessory trims either.
    Just wondered what it might look like with a single, simple thin chrome trim line up there & no lower trim like the early VW Golf/Rabbit. Probably make the car look a little "lighter".