Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What the hell is this all about? DCOE's?

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Re: What the hell is this all about? DCOE's?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Man does that engine look tiny when it's just sitting there in front of your car! Cute kitten BTW.
    but I can promise you one thing.

...that son-of-a-bitch is friggin heavy. The only reason it is where it is, is because after unbolting the tranny what you see is what I was left with (alternator, flywheel, clutch, etc inlcuded).

....and without a hoist, the next best thing is brute force and much stupidity. With the kids asleep for their naps, I walked in the house, grabbed the phone, and handed it to the wife and asked her to call 911 if she heard any non-human noises, the proceeded to go outside, loosen up that last bolt, and lift the beast out and set her down right where she lies in that pic.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

geezus, good thing it wasnt a a40a3 then

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

LMAO Mark, non human noises....
    are you going to put it in from the bottom? looks like you could do that pretty easy even with the tranny on: ratchet strap it to the jack.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-05-2008 at 03:55 AM.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    LMAO Mark, non human noises....
    are you going to put it in from the bottom? looks like you could do that pretty easy even with the tranny on: ratchet strap it to the jack.
    Nah, I figure one extremely stupid move does not deserve another. I've been scouring craigslist and local classifieds for used hoists for cheap, and have a few friends that might have access to one as well, so between the two, I'll do this one the right way.

My intention is to see if I can get the whole motor/tranny assembled before dropping it in, just to make for the least amount of work on my back. If I can't fit it with the tranny already on, I'll at least bolt up the clutch and fly before hand.

Alright well, updates.....

The rockers and cam (stock for now) have been swapped over to my P&P head. The carbs bolted right up to the manifold, but due to spacing between carbs, I'm going to have to modify my throttle bracket, but I don't expect that to be a big deal.

Next up, I have to take that motor you see in the pic (the original to the car) and I'm considering using the full bottom-end, but also have two other short-blocks I may use as well (kinda want to have at least some part of the original engine still in there). About a gallon of brake-kleen, and some soap and scrubbing, then a quick rattle-can treatment of high-heat paint, and I'll be in business with that thing.

I still need to figure out all my 'extra' vacuum lines that are lingering after pulling the A/C, etc.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I wouldn't say putting it in from the bottom was stupid, professionals do it all the time. Using a transmission jack not a floor jack, and having two post lift helps but is not necessary as long as you have the car safely chocked, and can get it high enough to slide the powerplant under, then let it down easy till you get the mounts in place.
    You may want to check out some of your local parts stores, some have a loan agreement thing, basically you purchase the equipment then bring it back for a refund... they know you are bringing it back btw.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

yep, AutoZone does that too, and I have taken advantage of that program a number of times for various tools. In fact (little secret here) one of the employees there told me that sometimes their loaner tools are better than the retail tools. (example: O2 sensor removal tool. The 'rental' tool has 3 or 4 individual funky sockets in a blow molded case (brand O.E.M) for let's say $20. The retail tool kit, same brand, comes with only 2 sockets and no case for the same $20.)

They actually suggested that I just 'rent' the tool and never return it, but just asked that I let them know my intention so they could order a replacement.
    -Mark D.

2ndGenGuy

I dropped an engine in a 2g Accord by hand once. We put the block in first, then bolted up the head, then the tranny. No engine lift required.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I dropped an engine in a 2g Accord by hand once. We put the block in first, then bolted up the head, then the tranny. No engine lift required.
    True, a stripped down block, while very heavy, is not the worst thing in the world to move around. I had to pick one of my shortblocks up from a friend of mine, and had tied it down to a piece of plywood, and it wasn't the too terrible to take out of my trunk and move around.

I just don't have time on my side right now, and the absolute quickest way to build this motor and have it running in the car is by building it completely on the stand, then using a hoist to drop it in.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

move to Augusta or somewhere in South Carolina and I will come by and help... have hoist will travel up to an hour.
    Anybody around you have a tractor loader? I have put a few motors in with backhoes, loaders, towmotors..
    It will be easier on the ole back having that intake on already, but I don't know how hard is it to get the bottom nuts on that DCOE manifold you have with the carbs on or off. Probably not any easier is it.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    move to Augusta or somewhere in South Carolina and I will come by and help... have hoist will travel up to an hour.
    Anybody around you have a tractor loader? I have put a few motors in with backhoes, loaders, towmotors..
    It will be easier on the ole back having that intake on already, but I don't know how hard is it to get the bottom nuts on that DCOE manifold you have with the carbs on or off. Probably not any easier is it.
    Fuck sake, I did my first Re+re on my Toy to get it moving with my dads tiny backhoe on the 3 point of the farm tractor. Yarded the 22R-E + garbage 5 speed tranny all at once, and stuffed in the 20R + cast iron 4 speed, had it running in 48 hours, including complete wiring swap. All outside in the snow, of course.

I had a hard time getting the bottom intake mani nuts off an A20A3 with the engine out of the car.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

2ndGenGuy

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    I had a hard time getting the bottom intake mani nuts off an A20A3 with the engine out of the car.
    Ah fuck I did this once too. Engine sitting out in the yard, I'm like "Bam, fuckin intake manifold!" Took me like 45 minutes to get it off with that fucking water tube in the way. I ripped that water tube off after I realized I was an idiot and took like 10 minutes to get the rest off.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I guess it is a bitch with the intake manifolds in or out of the car cuz it took me a while to get the manfold off the b20 and it was out of the car. Took me a couple hours in the car A20A1 , I think I have the procedure down pat now. I use a rubber mopar heater bypass hose on teh oil separator, it is much easier to deal wtih and is the same size with a bend in it, Use gearwrench on the second two from outside, then a gooseneck 12mm on the two center ones.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Finally! It's DONE. Not my car, but a PRODUCTION DCOE Manifold for the A20 exists. I need a nap now.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...897#post933897
    -Mark D.