Thread: "Best Carb Man" in Richmond, BC?

DX User

"Best Carb Man" in Richmond, BC?

I am hoping someone could direct me to the best carb mechanic in or near Richmond, BC.

I have an 1987 Accord LX with Hitachi Distributor, Auto Trans, no A/C. I am having intermittent & varying idling problems. I don't consider myself very talented under the hood so I am looking to take it somewhere for a proper set up of the carb including idle and the shift cable. I am in a hurry since my ICBC expires on the 17th so I need to do Air Care first.

In case anyone is interested or would like to offer an opinion, I will describe what's going on:

Some days (or just trips) it will idle OK. Other times (and more frequently) it will start and zoom to over 2000 RPM and begin to come down to about 1100 then it drops lower more quickly and usually stalls. It may drop to about 250 and then "recover" which starts the pattern over again until it stalls.

While it is doing this, I can gently touch the gas and restart "the cycle". Hot or cold engine and/or weather does not seem to play much part in the symptoms. So, I can drive the car if I keep my foot on the gas just right and keep it idling over 1000. This idle seems a bit "tread-y" to me but the car can go like a bat out of h*ll otherwise (120 on the Connector, no problem).

Sometimes while holding the gas, I have felt the gas peddle fall away from under my foot as if someone has pulled on the linkage. I think that is only a momentary thing as I usually react in a quick panic and press the peddle to restore "the cycle" and find the sweat spot again.

On some trips, if it does stall, when I restart it may actually idle fine for the rest of the trip or end the day. This seems very hit and miss. It will always restart just fine at least. Slowing down to make a turn is risking a stall too.

Things already done:

Top Hat removed and things cleaned out. Float set.(XMas time)
    Fuel filters replaced. (XMas time).
    Air Intake Control Diaphragm was switched out for a working one.
    Found out EFE Heater's wire was corroded off so inoperable.
    Igniter voltage feeds tested OK, Continuities checked OK
    Gas Line antifreeze/cleaner used a few times.
    Gas cap replaced last year (only thing that failed Air Care).
    Can not find/hear any Vacuum leaks

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: "Best Carb Man" in Richmond, BC?

Quote Originally Posted by zaneszoo View Post
    I am hoping someone could direct me to the best carb mechanic in or near Richmond, BC.

I have an 1987 Accord LX with Hitachi Distributor, Auto Trans, no A/C. I am having intermittent & varying idling problems. I don't consider myself very talented under the hood so I am looking to take it somewhere for a proper set up of the carb including idle and the shift cable. I am in a hurry since my ICBC expires on the 17th so I need to do Air Care first.

In case anyone is interested or would like to offer an opinion, I will describe what's going on:

Some days (or just trips) it will idle OK. Other times (and more frequently) it will start and zoom to over 2000 RPM and begin to come down to about 1100 then it drops lower more quickly and usually stalls. It may drop to about 250 and then "recover" which starts the pattern over again until it stalls.

While it is doing this, I can gently touch the gas and restart "the cycle". Hot or cold engine and/or weather does not seem to play much part in the symptoms. So, I can drive the car if I keep my foot on the gas just right and keep it idling over 1000. This idle seems a bit "tread-y" to me but the car can go like a bat out of h*ll otherwise (120 on the Connector, no problem).

Sometimes while holding the gas, I have felt the gas peddle fall away from under my foot as if someone has pulled on the linkage. I think that is only a momentary thing as I usually react in a quick panic and press the peddle to restore "the cycle" and find the sweat spot again.

On some trips, if it does stall, when I restart it may actually idle fine for the rest of the trip or end the day. This seems very hit and miss. It will always restart just fine at least. Slowing down to make a turn is risking a stall too.

Things already done:

Top Hat removed and things cleaned out. Float set.(XMas time)
    Fuel filters replaced. (XMas time).
    Air Intake Control Diaphragm was switched out for a working one.
    Found out EFE Heater's wire was corroded off so inoperable.
    Igniter voltage feeds tested OK, Continuities checked OK
    Gas Line antifreeze/cleaner used a few times.
    Gas cap replaced last year (only thing that failed Air Care).
    Can not find/hear any Vacuum leaks
    i always tell everyone to go to importcarbs.com

not sure about up there as far as shipping but around 229 plus core for a totally rebuilt carb.