Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's in!!!! It's Finally in!!!!!

It's in!!!! It's Finally in!!!!!

Well not to be too overly dramatic about it but today I started wrenching on my old yamaha tr1 and ended up putting the B20a in. I installed and found all my mounts looking for a petcock rebiuld kit. I them found my sensors and hondabond looking for a chick of vacuum line and before I knew it I had the cherry picker out and dropping the engine in.

Its not complete but it is ready for the engine bay to mockup cables and hoses and figure out how long the wires have to be when I rebiuld the engine bay harness. I need to figure out some other things but just like bullard and tommy b20a mine does sit just lower on the drivers side. Im using the JDM welded front mount and a20a front and rear mount in the proper locations.

I cant believe the hood is going to close with the engine in there. Its been empty for 3 years now. The fender well gap is noticably higher with the lack of weight from the motor swap. Pics to follow either tonight or tomorrow, whenever I get tired of working on it or run out of parts. Yeah like that will happen!!!!

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

Re: It's in!!!! It's Finally in!!!!!

I'll be the first to post...

WHERE ARE THE PICS?!

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

this thread is worthless without pix!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

pickchaz pweez

damn you guys are greedy? Im uploading them to my photoshop account right now

I posted the pics in the general section. If the mods want to move them thats cool. https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...732#post888732

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I completely missed this post till just now
    Ok this is wild because I felt it in the air I needed to quit slacking so I started mine this weekend finally. Low and behold you beat me to it again.. lol.
    You sound just like me, start out trying to do one thing and run across something you were looking for or forgot you even had and off you go.
    Please do share anything you run across on that driver's side thing |\

Vehicle
    1988 Hatch LXI

Making progress! I remember when I was at that point in my B20A sawp aswell. The hood will close with out any problems. It seems us accord guys lucked out because the prelude guys have to do modifications to close their hoods. Is that a B16 intake manifold?

Vehicle
    '87 HATCH currently under the knife. 89/94/96 Sidekick that will go anywhere I want it to.

SWEET!!! Pics!

yeah my garage looks nasty as hell but in reality its just full of car and bikes. All those boxes on the left on the racks are full of performance and hard to find parts for my bikes, tbird and accord. I need to get them installed so I can have that part of the garage back. The worst part isif you look striaght in youll see the house steps. They are 40 inches wide to accodate local fire codes and laced in the worst location imaginable. My car has like 2 feet in the back to get around it and literally 3/4 of an inch in the front when the door is closed. I need to get off my dumper and clean off the work benches though.

The mani is a ludespeed b20a5 welded cast shorty. Tom Coleman origianlly made them. The long and short of mine, It was origianlly Mike Lee's, Josh Rosenbaugm boguht it afyer mike was tired of of modifying things to fit the b20a. Josh sold it to me and there it sits. Its the same mani Tommy has that he bought from Rob who moddified to have the wastgat on top.

Sorry for the book. Its a really clean mani for what it is. Sucks the turbo is kicked just sideways to allow for the wastegate to be placed bewteen the block and the turbo. If he would have offset the WG and kept the turbo square with the block the DP would work better that came with the kit and the stock radiator would also fit without issues.

Im going to be running the stock block on the smaller T3 48/60 and in the background building a spare block to take the abuse of the SC34 T3/T4OE 60/63.

Vehicle
    88 accord hb dx

what mounts did u use, was it difficult 2do?

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

I would advise you to relocate your power steering hose unless you want a fire. That manifold will get pretty hot.

rfiks: That is a JDM B20A, which means that its a direct swap minus one mount which I believe someone found a fix for.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

2ndGenGuy

You got it running yet? I wanna come up and see it!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yeah i actually noticed theres a difference between b20a & a-series powersteering hoses

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Quote Originally Posted by A18A View Post
    yeah i actually noticed theres a difference between b20a & a-series powersteering hoses
    theres a difference?? i didnt notice any difference between the two lol i still running a a20a power steer system.

Im also looking forward to seeing your car running its going to be sweet, i suppose you dont have a dog bone mount either.. better go easy on the front mounts lol

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

yeah i didnt notice either untill i notice the power steering hose bracket that bolts to the head didnt look right. only difference is that little metal part on the end.

b20 one:

a20 one:

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I dont see any problem, my A20 hose bolted right up to the B20 pump. Kwikcoupe's just is laying too low and close to the manifold, it is supposed to be uo and away from... with attaching brackets.

yeah I dont have the radiator or the core support in right now so there isnt anything to support it onto. Its going to be using the original mounting as the stock so I dont see an issue unless the manifold is alot closer on the b20a than the a20a. As an update nothing has changed since the first date of postiing on this topic. Ive payed with a few goodies I have but its still sitting in the garage waiting for me to finish it.

ok just a long overdue update. I got my engine wiring harness with biult in obd1 upgrade from lx-incredible the chip and map from speedfactory in ttacoma washington. After many attepts at honda TB units and getting nothing but high idle and wierd issues I installed the 70mm unit that came with my edelbrock intake and it started up purring like a cat. Adjusted the idle speed, timing and got everything dialed in nice.

The ecu says its running wither too rich or too lean and from the plugs Id say too lean. Im wondering what kind of variances the honda ecu gives and if its tollerable in daily conditions or not. Thius is code 45 by the way.

The clutch doents feel as tight as i wanted even with it being the stiffest 88-91 lude pressure plate and heaviest sprung disc. i didnt opt for the pucks becasue at the time all act offered was unsprung and this is supposed to be my daily driver.

The 5 speed with my quaife uinit needs some lovin. 1st, 2nd, 3rd wont engage with the engine running. 4th and 5th feel great but reverse grinds a bit. If I jack the car up and let the engine pedal the wheels out of gear you can hear the stacks clang together becasue they arent meshing well right now. any tips or tricks on what to look for when I get into it or how to adjust the mesh pionts. Im not sure how to tell if a gear is facing up or down.

Other than this its looking great and with alot of the engien bay deleted its looking alot more pleasing at well. Ill post pics before the portland meet this saturday when I clean up the engine bay well

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Did you take the actual stacks apart? If you didn't i think you had a bad one off the go. I don't think there is adjustment like that but im not positive but i always just pulled the whole gear sets out and put them back in without disassembling the stacks at all.

Sorry to hear your off to a bad start!

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Sounds like the clutch cable is adjusted too loose. Mine was at a weird angle and was grinding and being a bitch. Adjustment seemed fine, but that was due to the cable not being restrained, sitting crooked and pulling itself "straight" when I pushed in the pedal. Pull the boot off the transmission end and check that the cable is centered in the sheath.

Did all the synchronizer springs make their way back in there?

Most of the gears in the A20 have a groove or indentation on the top... Not sure if it's the same for you. If you could post some GOOD pictures next time it's torn apart, someone on here might catch something.
    Last edited by LX-incredible; 06-16-2009 at 02:32 PM.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

I pulled a couple of the gears out the first time to compare them with the a20a transmission. the top syncro isnt bolted down only the one stack is captured. I had to reseat it and it worked great. total time from tranny pulled to reinstalled was about 5 hours. I messed up one of the starter bolts and the lowerest rear mount bolt but it was late and was working by flashlight at that piont.

The clutch wasnt adjusted properly as well. the cable tention is amazing on the pressure plate I chose. After I pulled all the slack out of the cable it shifts ok and doesnt seem to be too bad although it still needs to seat in as well. . I might try to get it a little tighter but Im not sure since it feels so still already.

Feels goo, pulls ok. I havent noticed any difference from car to car just yet. not enough seat time.

Pics dude are you kidding me, that wouold mean Id have to stop y project clean my hands and get the nice camera out. then id have to clean the nice camera. Thats too much work for me. Ill post some good pics in my biuld section before the show just incase it doesnt make it.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

You'll get good pics at the meet! Sounds like she's rockin' and rolling around enough to drive yay!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord SEI Coupe, 08 Ford E-250

Oh well glad you fixed it what was your outcome with comparing gears.

they wouldnt fit thew shafts themselves are different sizes. Id love to have an extra trans to head down to the local speedshop. hes got around 15 transissions on hand and i love to just start sizing and comparing. Oh well well p[robably find something when its too late. Sounds like the 3geez world wil be flooded with vtec swaps if the mounts ever get finished.