Thread: no interior lights, please help

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi

no interior lights, please help

"1) Please use the SEARCH function before posting... there has been a lot of flaming going on "

The search function does not work. I always try it first.

I need help trying to figure out why I do not have any interior lights. If it is not the fuses, bulbs, or door jamb switch, what could it be?

When I look at my gauge panel, I can see that my door switch is working. The little red "door" lights up when the switch is not pushed in.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anda

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: no interior lights, please help

Quote Originally Posted by Andagail View Post
    "1) Please use the SEARCH function before posting... there has been a lot of flaming going on "

The search function does not work. I always try it first.

I need help trying to figure out why I do not have any interior lights. If it is not the fuses, bulbs, or door jamb switch, what could it be?

When I look at my gauge panel, I can see that my door switch is working. The little red "door" lights up when the switch is not pushed in.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anda
    does your lighter work? it's on the same circuit. if the lighter has power,it's probably your warning center in the dash. all the door switch wires run through it. as well as the dome light wiring. if it gos your light won't come on. it will show the door open but it won't complete the circuit to the light. if it's bad you would pull your instrument cluster,then unscrew the warning center module and replace it. it's pretty easy. see if someone on here has an extra module for sale from a parts car or something.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

What you tried?
    Phil

Vehicle

pull the dome light and with the dor open make sure there is ground going to the light itself. at the dome light,you will have a switched ground wire, a wire that is hot all the time, and the third ground to manually turn on the light, is just at the ground screw of the light itself. so only two wires at the light plug. if you don't have a wire that is grounding at the dome light,pull the door switch,jumper the switch wire to ground and retest. if you still don't have a switched ground, it's the warning module. the reason the wires go through it, is thats where the diodes for the door switches are located,they are inside of that module. you just swap it out.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-19-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi

Thanks, Lost. The lighter does not work, either. I am going to print out what you said and try it. Very good explanation.

So far, I tried changing the fuses, changing the bulbs (just the dome), messing with the switch. That's all.

I will see if your suggestion works and tell you tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, before I got the car, it was hit in the side behind the front door. It is still crunched in a little bit. I wonder if that has something to do with the door jamb wiring.The door is OK.

I know I sound like I don't know anything about cars, but that's because I don't. My dad taught the boys about cars and my mom taught us girls about cooking. ;

Thanks,
    Anda

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Andagail View Post
    Thanks, Lost. The lighter does not work, either. I am going to print out what you said and try it. Very good explanation.

So far, I tried changing the fuses, changing the bulbs (just the dome), messing with the switch. That's all.

I will see if your suggestion works and tell you tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, before I got the car, it was hit in the side behind the front door. It is still crunched in a little bit. I wonder if that has something to do with the door jamb wiring.The door is OK.

I know I sound like I don't know anything about cars, but that's because I don't. My dad taught the boys about cars and my mom taught us girls about cooking. ;

Thanks,
    Anda
    if the lighter isn't working you have a blown fuse,that fuse is under the hood,not under the dash

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

i have the same problem and i suspect that its a bad ground somewhere but i havent messed with it. anybody else have problems?
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle

well the door switch grounds all go through the warning center, it has diodes in it that can burn out and then your dome light won't work. the ground wire going to the dome light comes out of the warning center modle. also there is a ground behind the cluster that will cause a lot of stuff to not work, if you un plug the cluster the dome light will go out. the fuse for the dome light is under the hood. same as the cigarette lighter and the radio memory wire. in other words each door switch has a seperate wire that goes to the warning center module.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 07-20-2008 at 10:32 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LXi

Thank you so much, lostforawhile. When I replaced the fuse before, it was with a fuse that was in a little plastic box that was in the glove box. I guess it was bad, because I bought some new ones, put one in and it worked.

Now I have a dome light when I turn it on and the cigarette lighter now works to charge my phone. I don't know about the other lights. I am not worried about those. These might not work because of the loose connector hanging loose in the door. (I saw it when my brother was fixing my power window. That is another story.

Thanks,
    Anda

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Good to hear.
    Phil

Accord of the Year - 2008

Vehicle
    89 Accord No Motor and 88 Accord HB LX-i

LX-R coming soon Here's a hint. 89mm stroke/ 41.60cc head /ARP head & main stud's /SRP piston's 81.5mm 9:5:1/Crower Rod's & more to come