Thread: Weber 32/36 vs. 38/38

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

Weber 32/36 vs. 38/38

So heres the deal, ive been doin some lookin around and i have decided to go ahead and do the carb upgrade. currently i have the stocky with all emittions removed, but now im ready for the weber.
    the question is, id prefer to get the 38/38, but the thing is, out of the companies ive called. a couple say that the 32/36 kit COMES with linkage, and i will be very short on time to do the swap cuz i will only be back home for a week or 2 before reporting to my next duty station and im having problems with the current carb, so a cross-country drive would be out of the question for now.
    anyways, out of the companies i called, one company sells a 38/38 kit without linkage, and another says that the 38/38 kit would have to be made and doesnt come with linkage.

so what do u guys think, should i just go with the 32/36 or should i make an attempt to fab up some linkage?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: Weber 32/36 vs. 38/38

The linkage that comes with the 32/36 is not so great anyway. Having both style carbs now, I would say get the 38. If you look at my threads you will see a fabbed bracket I made, and on the 38 you see the linkage bracket that you get with the 32/36. not much to it. I like the one I made better. There are all kinds of threaded holes left on the manifold once you have removed everything.. that can be used to attached homemade brackets. The main thing is to take the cable slide linkage off the oem carb and trim it up with a dremel, and attach it to the weber.
    Also look at Turabaka's thread, it was everything he needed and it was a 38.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Yeah like Roodoo said the bracket that comes with the kit isn't that great anyway, I did some tweaking on mine to get it the way I liked.
    I have the 32/36 and really like it but it has given me the itch to try the 38. With as little that is left on the engine after the install I'm pretty sure I could swap the carb in about ten minutes. Then I could have a fun setup and a fuel economy setup.
    BTW I have gotten as good as 32mpg in town with the 32/36 which is great.
    The choice is yours but if the 38 is what you really want I wouldn'tlet the fact that it doesn't come with a (rather crappy) bracket hold you back.
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

There is not much difference in MPG with the 38 btw, the thing with it is you can ride with barely any pressure on the throttle and get super good gas mileage because it runs on the idle jets. I don't mean granny pedal either really... But when you hammer it, boy o boy is it cool. That thing growls like no CAI you ever heard before, not a boggy growl either and somehow it makes the exhaust have a real sporty tone even with stock exhaust. I have to punch the 32/36 hard in the arse to make it sound like that.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 07-31-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

yeah get the 38. That's what I have, and it's a whole different car with it on there.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Talking Re: Weber 32/36 vs. 38/38

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    There is not much difference in MPG with the 38 btw, the thing with it is you can ride with barely any pressure on the throttle and get super good gas mileage because it runs on the idle jets. I don't mean granny pedal either really... But when you hammer it, boy o boy is it cool. That thing growls like no CAI you ever heard before, not a boggy growl either and somehow it makes the exhaust have a real sporty tone even with stock exhaust. I have to punch the 32/36 hard in the arse to make it sound like that.
    I like to hear that the mpg isn't that different. I am definately on the prowl for a 38, and if you don't mind roodoo I'll be hitting you up for jetting numbers when I get it. You have cygnus' old 38 IIRC? It would be great to have it all set to bolt up.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yes it was Cygnus-x1 creation. It still took me 12-15 hours to get it installed, being I put it on the DX which had the full factory garb on it. That included a few trips to the parts house around the corner for fuel line , vaccum caps and band aids.. also included a good engine compartment scrub down, and removal of half dozen assorted razor sharpe brackets and retainers under the hood.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

so, if ya dont mind me askin, where did ya buy ur 38 at?

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

well, i looked up ur old thread but the pix wont show. any way you could maybe re-upload them?
    thanks in advance... to all...

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Post Re: Weber 32/36 vs. 38/38

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    yes it was Cygnus-x1 creation. It still took me 12-15 hours to get it installed, being I put it on the DX which had the full factory garb on it. That included a few trips to the parts house around the corner for fuel line , vaccum caps and band aids.. also included a good engine compartment scrub down, and removal of half dozen assorted razor sharpe brackets and retainers under the hood.
    Yeah I think mine took me about 6-7 hrs total. That is one of the perks of being able to work on it at the shop I work at, I know where the parts I need are! I think I ended up using like 10 dollars worth of parts off the shelf.
    What I meant by all ready to bolt up was if I buy a secondhand 38 I would want to rebuild it and if I got the jetting specs I could go ahead and throw them in at the same time so it should be pretty close if I just swap it out for the 32/36.

Anyway enough jacking of this thread,sorry.
    I bought my 32/36 kit through redline. Should be able to get the 38 through them as well.
    Good luck.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

The 38 I sold Roodoo was a used ebay carb. They're harder to find than the 32/36 but they are out there. The linkage was just a regular universal linkage kit for the DGV carbs. That was honestly the easiest part. Grinding out the plenum wall and matching the adapter plate and manifold took what seemed like forever. You wouldn't have to go to that much trouble just to get it running though. As long as the throttle plates don't hit the adapter plate it should work ok. Some grinding may be required since the adapter is plate is made for the 32/36 which has smaller plates and bores. For better carb barrel balancing the plenum wall should be removed and the adapter plate opened up to match the barrels on the 38.

C|

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

you musta went way back then , yes I had fflickr pics that died a long time ago, here is one of the DFEV I first installed. The bracket was made from a standard muffler hangar kit, I cut the rivets and used two pieces bolted to existing holes in the intake. I use this same bracket flipped around the other way on the DGV 32/36 I have. The DFEV is for sale in trading place.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

So now there are pictures of three different set ups I have, 38/38, DFEV, and DGV5A

and no that is not alum foil, it is furnace tape I used to cover up the epoxy I used to solidify the adapter plates so they would not leak. I would not do it that way again, I would just weld them .
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-01-2008 at 04:01 AM.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

alright, just got off the phone with Redline Carbs. they said they dont sell the carbs, they're just a distributor, so he gave me some other number and i called them.
    dude said it was gunna be 459.00 for the carb, adapter, air filter, linkage (if it will even work) and i guess whatever else ill need... like i said tho, im not gunna be doin this till i go home in a month or so (hopefully) before i go to my next duty station and ill only have a day or two to do this and ive also got a front end kit to put on too.
    anybody got any words of advice on how to get this baby up and runnin pretty quick?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yes, study the weber thread in the FAQ section and start thinking about each step now before you even touch it.
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38161
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 08-01-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

An utility knife with a fresh blade helps alot getting all the vacuum stuff out of your way,hehehe.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

If you don't do anything to the manifold, as in cutting out plenum or porting, so you wont have to remove it. That would cut out a lot of time.
    You do need to dremel on the adapter plates though if you get the 38, recommended on the 32/36. Absolutlely you will need to go back later and dig out the manifold, but just to make it run you can get by without it.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

rodger that! i appreciate it. i think im gunna order it on monday.
    i should be goin home in about a month or so, so ill kep u guys updated on whats up with it. and yes, ill take plenty of pix as well...

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

Just wanted to let ya know, i just ordered the weber 38/38 kit from Top-End Performance. Cant wait to get it even tho i wont see it for about a month or so.
    but when i get home, ill be taking plenty of pix, and ill prolly be on here goin 'QUICK NEED HELP WITH LINKAGE' or somethin.
    and Roodoo, i tried to IM you but there was a 'Data Base Error' and it wouldnt let me, but i hope all is well and thanks anyway man.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

it's all good Dave
    I will be glad to help you when ever.
    You should plan on working up that manifold though since you going with the 38, the divided plenum may have wierdness with the full time two barrel.