Thread: rotten dampers

Vehicle
    89 LX

rotten dampers

The spacer tubes on these 19 year old OEM dampers are seized to the threaded post and PB Blaster ain't cutting it. Does anyone know what is under the damper boot? Can I heat the spacer with a torch without burning up bumpers or other hidden parts? This is my snow beater and I don't want to spend any more $ than I have to on it. I could buy a set of hardware and new boots from rockauto.com though if I knew what the heck was under the damn boot.

Have a full set of KYB GR2 dampers, new timing belt, wheel cylinders, and alternator brushes to install. Thanks

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Re: rotten dampers

if you heat it too much it might burn the bump stop

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Did the new struts come with bump stops? I guess this is a poor guide, but my Sensatracs came with bump stops and plastic versions of the dust boots. I would try breaking them loose with a pipe wrench or large channel-lock pliers. If you grip near the top you shouldn't end up distorting the tube too much. If you got new bump stops you could try heating a bit, too, since you won't need to worry about cooking the old ones.

Nice spring compressors, by the way. Do you own them? I actually borrowed a set from Auto Zone - even though I bought the struts at O-Reilly's. This was before OR had a tool loan program, too.

2ndGenGuy

I have those same spring compressors. Like $20 at Harbor Freight.

Vehicle
    89 LX

Yeah, cheap compressors from harbor freight. I tore up the front damper boots with them- there goes $11 if I can't beat them back into shape. I went to pepboy's to get the lisle 62300 compressor that is recommended by picopop in earlier threads but they have changed suppliers. I wish I had ordered the lisles... My other set is way to big for the tiny accord coils.

Vehicle
    89 LX

No, they didn't come with anything but the nuts. I bought them for cheap from rockauto- hell half this car came from rockauto.com. I'll probably buy the hardware sets and boots from them. The accord can set on the stands for another week [IMG][/IMG]

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah i remember my OEM shocks...they still worked tho

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

if I remember right, the only thing under the dust boot is a damn thick washer (unless that's on top of the boot. ...dammit, don't remember), and the bumpstop. You can get cheapie bump stops anywhere, and screw the boots, if you don't want to run 'em, don't. Just keep it clean under there, and you should be good.

I would get new sleeves from Honda though (or find an aftermarket one that works). Once those get rusted to the point that they are basically fused to the piston, even torching them off won't get them clean inside. Make sure you never-seize the snot out of the inside of the sleeve when you put the new one's on.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    Laurel Blue '89 LXi Sedan

Those sleeves are just wrapped around the shaft sorta like a hotdog bun ... find the split at the top edge and drive a flat blade into it.

Ya shouldn't have to do more than just get the top end split open and then the whole sleeve should break free, especially if you've been soaking them with PB Blaster.

Once ya have the sleeve off you should be able to squeeze the split closed again if yer carefull if ya wanna re-use them ... but I wouldn't recommend re-using those sleeves because of the rust. Once they've rusted up once they'll just rust faster next time.

Just keep the boots, bump stops and the washers under them and get new sleeves.

Vehicle
    89 LX

Poor accord has been on the jackstands for 3 mos. I sawzalled the seized spacers off to get the bump stops out (surprisingly soft steel on the strut) , I had dinged up one of the original strut boots with my too big coil compressor so I threw it out. Now I can't find a replacement. Any place I can get an aftermarket front strut boot? Gonna buy a Lisle 62300 coil compressor and head for a pull and save if I can't get cheap clean parts....

Need to do the intake manifold gasket on my 2000 chevy impala. What a pita, so I need the garage and my accord on the road.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si

I got replacement steel front shock boots from the junkyard. I disassembled the spring-shock assembly carefully without using a spring compressor to keep from damaging them.
    Mike

Vehicle
    89 LX

Quote Originally Posted by AZmike View Post
    I got replacement steel front shock boots from the junkyard. I disassembled the spring-shock assembly carefully without using a spring compressor to keep from damaging them.
    Thanks, thats what I thought. I assumed that I could just buy KYB accordian boots with integral bumpstops. Well I haven't been to the junkyard for awhile