Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad JDM dash yo!

2ndGenGuy

Re: Mad JDM dash yo!

I tried red LEDs in my car too, going with the whole red car, red interior, I thought red lights would look nice too. But yeah they just don't show up. My friend put red ones in his MR2, and they looked sweet. Even lit up the clear plastic needles. I'd love to put some needles like that in the car, but I think that would be a huge project in itself.

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

is that so?well i did not knwo any of that. well, as i said earlier, modifying a car is a work of art of the owner. and its always far more important that you like your own car rather than pleasing others. anyway, i do love the faces you did in white! how did you do it? its an amazing job dude! ur a truely talented SOB!
    life is only what you make of it...

my dad with our 81' accord...

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

MSN: [email protected]
    YM: [email protected]

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by haridev View Post
    is that so?well i did not knwo any of that. well, as i said earlier, modifying a car is a work of art of the owner. and its always far more important that you like your own car rather than pleasing others. anyway, i do love the faces you did in white! how did you do it? its an amazing job dude! ur a truely talented SOB!
    I scanned the original faces and edited them in photoshop, print and stick them to the original face. Heres couple more pics:

Looks pretty but can get hard to read in the dark. But it should be better if I used UV LEDs instead of blue. I never get around painting the needles in UV reactive paint and using UV LEDs. I couldn't find anybody selling UV LEDs that time.

Since blue wavelength is closer to UV (at least I thought so lol) anything UV reactive glows faintly with blue LEDs, and that includes white paper.

If I ever find UV LEDs I might do them again!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Out with the old..

Took out HVAC ducts to clean them while the dash is out. Smells fresh!

In with the new!

While its out I installed some sound deadening stuff I used back then at the firewall. No pics of them though.

Finally finished at night lol

I have yet to finish the cluster, I'm reusing the old one for now until I get the LEDs finished.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

And yeah check out a video of my dome light delay I made while back. The light stays on for few seconds before it fades off. Adds a little touch of class lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtkc-nnnpBY

BTW mods, can you change the thread title to "My car update thread" instead? Now that I have few interior projects going on, I thought that would be a great idea to have my own update thread instead of making a new one each time

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

very very nice job. i love it!!!! excellent! u truely have my respect. dun bother doing the rest of the car in black. my merc has the same config, black dash n beige, everything. however i plan to change the carpet of my honda to sum grey pieces. do u hv any spare a/c thermostats? i wonder if the thermostat of the ori jdm dash would fit. mine is a lil sensitive and tends to go off it touched at times.

i have an emblem meant for the dash stating HONDA. its in black with a chrome back ground. its a spare i have laying around. u can have it as a gift from me. regards, dev....

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

very very nice job. i love it!!!! excellent! u truely have my respect. dun bother doing the rest of the car in black. my merc has the same config, black dash n beige, everything. however i plan to change the carpet of my honda to sum grey pieces. do u hv any spare a/c thermostats? i wonder if the thermostat of the ori jdm dash would fit. mine is a lil sensitive and tends to go off it touched at times.

i have an emblem meant for the dash stating HONDA. its in black with a chrome back ground. its a spare i have laying around. u can have it as a gift from me. regards, dev....
    Sweet! I'm looking for the emblem as well! Original one from my car has broken into pieces while the one that came with this dash are missing, same goes with the last replacement dash.

By thermostat you mean the little temp control our local model has at the bottom of the dash near the driver? I could fix them. The potentiometer goes bad and only costs few Ringgits from the electronic store althrough mine has separate adjustment and AC on/off. I'd love to have the temp control from JDM dash but the circuits are different since we never equipped with heater.

My plans next are:

Get 2gee console and fit my headunit down there (I hate the stock place where the HU sticks out).
    Put single din pocket in the current HU slot.
    Paint the small trim on the door panel where it meets the dash.
    Build my own A-pillar trims (both are broken!) with a gauge pod or two.
    Get new floor mats.
    Finish my blinging cluster.
    More sound deadening on the floor (I never got around to finish them lol)

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

oo that dash looks nice!

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

the emblem. well mine dint break. but when i restored the dash, it seemed to have flaked off!!! hehe. the emblem doesnt look OEM but it does the job. wasnt cheap though! although it fits perfect into the slot. i havent had time to take pics of it.

anyway as for the thermostat, (temp control) mine works but the contact seems bad. its those moron mechanics/ accesory shop guys who max out the temp control the second they get into the ride. nut jobs! now if the themostat cuts of for no reason. if u touch it, she seems to be fine. annoying. i did the honours of fixing it in the middle position and binding it with electric black tape. hehe! it did the job of both fixing the bad contact and also against the dumbass mechanics. if you do have the guts, y could always open mine up n be my guest. least talk me through the process coz the a/c guy warned me tat if i break this thermo, im screwed for life in getting a replacement!

see if the centre console works from the 2g works on ur accord. i too cant stand the radio sticking out! i dun get these 1geez. apparently i read an article where it seems when honda's finished the 1geez they knew about the radio slot issue, but they dint bother to redo the hole for the radio, but instead developed a new radio that could fit!!! how sad!!

regards, dev

p.s. cant wait to start doing my interior as well.....

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

yes the small trim panel might look good in black too. why dont you get some used a piller trims? i bet u could get some nice used one at ur place. floor mats cool.... but make sure u dont over do the bling. too much bling my turn out looking too cheap. will ask around bout ur p. steering set for ur accord. i bet u sum will snag it/em. u just might be able to reupholster ur seats with the $$$ u made.

regards, dev

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

I could fix the temp control for you, or if you could solder, its really easy, just replace the old potentiometer with the new with same rating. Its 1k Ohm if I'm not mistaken. I'll double check later.

I'm getting those generic plain black carpet floor mats, don't worry, no exessive bling here.

As for the A-pillar trim, last time I went to JY to get both of them broke into pieces the moment I touched them and I assume most of them suffers the same fate. I could build one myself though.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

it would be really nice if you could fix it for me but, u noe la...ur place isnt really next door. neway, who knows. hehe. do give me the details. i might get some radio repairer to do it for me. least, if he screws up i could put the blame on him. hehe. insurance! hehe well i have been luck with the A-pillar trims on both my 1geez. now that uv told me how brittle they are, il be a lil careful when opening mine. and yes, there are many fibreglass A-pillers that could go flush into the accord. i plan to get a new beige arm rest for my accord. the older arm rest was truely annoying when i had to use the seat belt or when i had to move the seat. newayz, regards, n tc.....hope to meet u during the break..

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Whats wrong with the arm rest?

And I forgot to mention I'll fit a center arm rest from whatever model that fit the 2g console and couple of USB port in it to charge my phone and handsfree Never seen anyone with USB charger build in yet.
    And couple of blue LED for footwell lights, white LED dome light.
    And... and.. ah crap so many plans, so little time, and money!

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

the arm rest mounts get in the way of the safety belt locks. another issue is that the arm rest itself is too large and lays tends to cause resistance when i push the seat forwards or backwards. its a generic piece. if i can find it its urs. sadly i have a feeling that i threw it out. :-( anywayz, if the 2g centre console works, i too mite go for it myself. hehe. u use to use k750i? i use a k800i. wonder if uv changed it yet. regards, dev

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

DX User
    Vehicle
    Accord 4dr 1981 X 2

Thumbs up Re: Mad JDM dash yo!

wooouuhh!!!! Good job!!!!

Member of the HCA: www.hondaclub.com.ar

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah the new dash looks good.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

2ndGenGuy

Woah I didn't see those pics. Man that dash looks brand new in there! Looking spiffy. Also, I want that pocket that goes under the glove box! Also, how did you do the dome light fade? I want to do that too!!

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

no dude, as my dad mentioned when he saw the pics how how hazwan painted his car in his backyard in a show car like finish he wanted to meet him. after he saw the work he did on the dash he really wants to meet him!!! no sane human could do such amazing work (I mean this as a compliment) it takes lots of guts and brains to do such things.... well i guess i have met the malaysian chip foose....hehehe

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Woah I didn't see those pics. Man that dash looks brand new in there! Looking spiffy. Also, I want that pocket that goes under the glove box! Also, how did you do the dome light fade? I want to do that too!!
    I built the circuit from here: http://sound.westhost.com/appnotes/an004.htm

no dude, as my dad mentioned when he saw the pics how how hazwan painted his car in his backyard in a show car like finish he wanted to meet him. after he saw the work he did on the dash he really wants to meet him!!! no sane human could do such amazing work (I mean this as a compliment) it takes lots of guts and brains to do such things.... well i guess i have met the malaysian chip foose....hehehe
    lol my paintjob is far from being perfect. Can't take all the credit for it though, my dad is the one that sprayed whole car, I can only do small panels or primer as I'm scared to mess up the paint, and the paint isn't cheap! I can do the rest of bodywork though. I think I am confident enough to spray the color this time. I'm redoing the quarter panel this semester break as there are couple of rust bubbles coming up and its getting bigger!

And.. the dash isn't that perfect either. I think I can see one tiny crack coming up today. But at least its 10x better than previous faded and cracked dash. And being black, its easier to touch up/cover up the cracks.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

2ndGenGuy

Man I was looking at the dash in my hatch today. I noticed that I don't have the cool colored bars representing temperature. It just says "HOT" and "COLD" mine also just says HEAT VENT HI-LO, etc. Kinda lame looking compared to yours!

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

my current accord has the cool coloured bars as well. its something like its blue on the left and right on the right hand side. i believe it was meant to be the heater to thermostat control for the a/c system on the jdm accords! our local model accords (malaysian spec) accords had a separate round knob thermostat under the radio tucked behind.... hence though cool but the bars serve no purpose to us. my 81' accord that got totalled before this did not have these bars! i think it was a slightly newer model than the one i have got now. so i think you dont have to worry....but you could always check the older model dashes and who noes u might get the 'cool coloured bars.'

i have a feeling hazwan might be already thinking how he could make those bars functional and in a while he might post some picks to prove he is just that good....heh

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

my current accord has the cool coloured bars as well. its something like its blue on the left and right on the right hand side. i believe it was meant to be the heater to thermostat control for the a/c system on the jdm accords! our local model accords (malaysian spec) accords had a separate round knob thermostat under the radio tucked behind.... hence though cool but the bars serve no purpose to us. my 81' accord that got totalled before this did not have these bars! i think it was a slightly newer model than the one i have got now. so i think you dont have to worry....but you could always check the older model dashes and who noes u might get the 'cool coloured bars.'

i have a feeling hazwan might be already thinking how he could make those bars functional and in a while he might post some picks to prove he is just that good....heh
    Haha I've thought of that but finding potentiometer that works with the slider would be hard

Those cool colored bar came only with cars with AC IIRC.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

"Those cool colored bar came only with cars with AC IIRC."

Nope. Standard on ours even without AC.

Just an indication of which way to slide the lever to open up the heater tap. Though our AC didn't usually have any temperature control.

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

our malaysian temperature control for the AC was a separate unit and looks more like an add on. it seems simple though. its just a simple round knob like an old volume control with numbers if i remember right 1 to 5. hazwan do jump in to correct me if you can. its a chrome knob with a black face and the whole unite is a black box. i really wonder why the honda dealership in malaysia didnt just fit the sliding temperature control like all other temperature controls on japanese cars in its day. i suspect it must have be a cost saving idea. but seriously???

hazwan, why not get the sliding temperature control from the old nissan sunny? im sure it would fit well into the compartment meant the temperature control. and since you already have the control from the jdm unit you could retrofit the lever from ur jdm dash onto the sunny assembly. might work right? regards, dev.....
    Last edited by haridev; 09-26-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Yeah I hate the location of the temp control. Like I said before, the AC controller must be different with the model fitted with heater and they seem to fit whatever they can I guess. Also there seems to have "Kah Cool" sticker stamped all over the AC system, which means the local dealership are responsible for this BS. Also, the heater box or whatever you call it is slightly different without holes for the heater hoses.

As for retrofitting the Nissan slider, if it has the potentiometer of same value with the Accord, I don't see why I can't fit into mine.

1981 Honda Accord (sold)