Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: My Hoopty

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: My Hoopty

Well pics require a Photobucket account that doesn't go POOF in the middle of the night, so no pics I guess. Just think of a 15,000 mile oil change, black and gunky, and that's it. I keep thinking that I've changed all the hoses recently, but really, that was 10 years ago, so you could be right.

We used to make things here in America and we did so following American laws, health regulations, environmental restrictions and quality standards. Then somehow all our manufacturing and middle class jobs got sent to China, where "standards" translates to "gweilo sucker." Anyway, the quality of what China has been sending us is non-existent and toxicity is off-the-charts. I'm still unclear on how America's industrial base relocated to China in a short 40 years, but I suspect that a lot of people will be sent to the gallows for treason when the full story comes out.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm still working on the steering refresh + timing belt service. It's difficult with the holidays and maybe 1/2 a Saturday each week to work on it. The rookie mistakes don't help either. l managed to mangle the crank seal when I installed it. That produced a fairly big oil leak and yet another tear down to find it.

This episode has convinced me to get the Gold Car running again. It's my Mom's old 4g Accord that I gave to her because I hate it. Limited time to work + a long commute + a 13 MPG backup vehicle is not working for me. The Gold Car will improve that math. It actually runs, but has low oil pressure and bad rings. H22's on eBay are cheaper than a rebuild, so I can't think of a good reason not to swap. And with 200 HP, I might hate the Gold Car a little less.

Otherwise, the Red Car should be good to go next weekend.

I miss my Red Car!
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 12-29-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Gentlemen, the Red Car rides again! l got it back together today finally. There aren't any more leaks, the timing belt is good and the steering is great!!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Gentlemen, the Red Car rides again! l got it back together today finally. There aren't any more leaks, the timing belt is good and the steering is great!!
    Hey thats great!!!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yes. What's less great is that there was an apocalyptic invasion of field mice while it was there. Somehow. They crapped everywhere and one of them managed to die and leave a funky smell. I have to do a complete interior detail now. I don't expect I'll find the dead mouse either, so I'll get to ride that smell out. Ick.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yes. What's less great is that there was an apocalyptic invasion of field mice while it was there. Somehow. They crapped everywhere and one of them managed to die and leave a funky smell. I have to do a complete interior detail now. I don't expect I'll find the dead mouse either, so I'll get to ride that smell out. Ick.
    Spare tire area?
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'll definitely check it out.

In other news, l got the 4g running again. It passed smog with flying colors, very low HCs and no CO. (My county doesn't check NOx.) I was floored that the wore out old engine could put up numbers like that. I've taken decent care of it though. At this point, it runs, sorta, and gets a lot better mileage than the truck. It's also a lot quieter than the Red Car. The leather interior is pristine, though the body is maybe a 6 out of 10 with some dents and paint that's not great.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-04-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm currently waiting on move Evans coolant so the Red Car's idle stops bouncing.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yeah. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The coolant did NOT stop the bouncing idle. After some sleuthing l found that my IACV was BONE dry. Even while the car was running! Coolant is flowing through the radiator so either there is a blockage or the Evans is too thick to flow. So the Evans is going out.

Then the new PS pump started clattering. l blamed shoddy parts quality, then I opened my awesome new PS fluid reservoir to find that it was turning my fluid to foam. That's a BIG problem. I might have to ditch it if I can't find a way to baffle it.

In the mealtime, I'm driving the 4g.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The coolant did NOT stop the bouncing idle. After some sleuthing l found that my IACV was BONE dry. Even while the car was running! Coolant is flowing through the radiator so either there is a blockage or the Evans is too thick to flow. So the Evans is going out.

Then the new PS pump started clattering. l blamed shoddy parts quality, then I opened my awesome new PS fluid reservoir to find that it was turning my fluid to foam. That's a BIG problem. I might have to ditch it if I can't find a way to baffle it.

In the mealtime, I'm driving the 4g.
    Well thats an odd set of problems!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

... PS fluid reservoir to find that it was turning my fluid to foam. That's a BIG problem. I might have to ditch it if I can't find a way to baffle it....
    Would that be the PS pump front seal ? I had this happen to me before. Put a new front seal fixed it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The front seal was making your fluid foam?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yes, happened to me before. Replaced seal and no more foaming.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX-i 5spd

Same, had it happen on one of my Jeeps. Never had it happen on the Accord though (and the Civic has electric steering assist).

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
    Yes, happened to me before. Replaced seal and no more foaming.
    How? I can't picture it.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

How? I can't picture it.
    My thread back in 2009 - In my original thread, I used the term shaft seal. I might have confused you here by saying front seal but I'm referring to the same thing.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...reservoir.html

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Interesting. Thanks for that. l guess I'll try rebuilding my brand new, 5-minute run time remanned PS pump from BBB/OE-Vision. l don't know about you guys, but when l see these reman parts painted completely black, l know they're gonna be shit. Too bad those are the only pumps available. I'd have been better off buying a junkyard unit and rebuilding that. Maybe I'll do that anyway. Maybe I'll buy two junkyard units. Then l can throw all three away when they all turn out to be scrap metal. The new rack is also BBB/OE-Vision, so l should probably throw out too, just to keep everything consistent. Then l can light the car on fire and be done with all this headache.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Well, this is frustrating. I have installed a reman steering rack few year back also painted completely black and that thing has intermittent PS fluid leak and the steering is heavy. My theory was the PS pump is old and weak so I bought the rebuild kit, did the rebuild and still the same. So I conclude the reman is junk.

To lighten the steering, I bought the 40mm steering rack adjust tool and loosen the rack guide screw a little a time. After CCW about 3 turns, the steering is much lighter but still a little heavy than before the rack change. I had really bad PS leak from the old rack but the steering effort wasn't bad consider the severe leak. The reman is junk....

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

It can. can also be the suction side meaning hose or clamp or oring. i forgot what a a20 p/s pump looks like but replacing the front seal or put a better clamp on the suction side should cure things if not a new pump or used is going to be needed.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I tore into the new reman pump from BBB/OE-Vision today and have to say I was pretty impressed. Everything was nice and clean with no visible wear inside. All the seals had been replaced and they had even been greased like the manual says to do. It was a good rebuild. Like I said, I was impressed. What I did find was a loose fitting on my new reservoir. I tightened it and no more foam. The steering wheel is still a bit askew and I'm not sure about my alignment as I did it with one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenhulzen-T...ss!93675!US!-1

I flushed the cooling system and filled it with Napa green, which did not stop the bouncing idle. Still no vacuum leaks either. I unplugged the IACV for maybe 30 seconds and when I plugged it back in, the bouncing idle was cured. I don't know why.

Lastly, the car has developed a miss. I'll replace the plug wires and cross my fingers.

I sure miss my Red Car.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 02-22-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I tore into the new reman pump from BBB/OE-Vision today and have to say I was pretty impressed. Everything was nice and clean with no visible wear inside. All the seals had been replaced and they had even been greased like the manual says to do. It was a good rebuild. Like I said, I was impressed. What I did find was a loose fitting on my new reservoir. I tightened it and no more foam. The steering wheel is still a bit askew and I'm not sure about my alignment as I did it with one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenhulzen-T...ss!93675!US!-1

Good job ! I had to look up dictionary for "askew". I have been using only bricks, two 1"x1/8"x2' sticks and a tape for all my front toe alignment. Two men's job but sure beat spending over $200 for the tools.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Well, l just burned up 2 tires on the truck to the tune of $400 because it's so expensive and such a hassle to get an alignment. Compared to that, $200 is a 50% discount. Plus, if l save myself 2 trips to the alignment shop, then the tool pays for itself. That's how l justify it anyway.

l swapped out the plug wires today and it's running good again, so I'm happy. It did refuse to start after getting gas but it was just a wire that had fallen off the starter. l also straightened the steering wheel. We'll see how the commute goes tomorrow.

Woohoo!!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Just finished a front end refresh today. Much of what's below got stuffed into the Red Car. I replaced the wheel bearings, all bushings (including the radius rods), all ball joints, the hub and lug nuts, and even the pivot tubes for the upper control arms. You have to remove the knuckle to replace a wheel bearing or lower ball joint, and that's a LOT of work. If you're going to do it, you might as well replace everything you can while it's all apart.

I started on June 20th and finally finished today. God was it a bear of a job. First, I managed to screw up my order and get wrong parts because Rock Auto makes their site confusing. Nor could I return them because they've been sitting around here for a year already. What can I say, I buy parts, then 15 things catch fire immediately and it takes a year to get back to where I was.

Here is my poor Red Car, heedless of the protracted trial that is about to befall it. Rock Auto sent me a few parts that were not usable, like a lower control arm that was so old the bushings had turned to stone. Then I managed to ruin a wheel bearing installing it. Then I ordered the wrong part to replace it. Each order involves another week's wait to receive a replacement in the mail.

Alas, how the Red Car sat for more than a month. Then I finally had it near done. I torqued down all my nuts, installed all the cotter pins and began to lower the car. That's when I noticed that BOTH lower ball joint boots had burst when I torqued their nuts. Moog had overfilled them with grease, I think. So there was more re-ordering and the third or fourth or fifth (I lost count) removal of the knuckles from the car.

I took the opportunity to take some measurements in a search for brake options.

After I put it all back together yet again, I found that my driver's side wheel would not turn after I torqued down the spindle nut. So after another half-dozen removals of the knuckle from the car I learned that TrakMotive has got some key areas of their CV joint too large, so it jams against the dust ring in the back of the knuckle instead of applying proper torque to the wheel bearing.

Here you can see the cv joint bedded against the dust ring at the back of the knuckle. I spent some more time chewing on TrakMotive's tech support (who haven't been very helpful, frankly), before handling the issue with a belt sander and an angle grinder. So hillbilly. So terribly, terribly hillbilly.

You can see the shiny areas of the dust ring where the CV joint rubbed.

They look so similar, but they aren't.... I did ask them to correct the problems so the rest of you guys won't have an issue. Who knows if they'll do anything.

Anyway, the car is back on the road again.

The deal is, there was nothing wrong with any of the parts I replaced. Nothing was cracked or making noise or showing any sign of problems. I felt guilty replacing it all. Still, the front end felt loosey goosey when I drove and I couldn't shake the feeling that everything there was 30 years and nearly 250k miles old. I think everything but the lower ball joints rolled off the assembly line with the car. It's pretty impressive to me that it's all held up so well.

After my road test tonight, I regret nothing! The front end is so tight and super precise now! I haven't driven too much because I need an alignment, but what a difference. Yay for the Red Car!
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 08-02-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I also figured out why my MPGs have gone down with the new rims. I set a new wheel against an old one.

You can see that the old wheel is taller than the new one by what, 3/8" to 1/2"? That little difference is good for about 2 MPG. I definitely getting bigger tires next time.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Possible speedo is off a few percentage due to taller tires.
    Now running E85.