Thread: car starts, wont idle

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX Coupe

car starts, wont idle

Next on the list of crap going wrong every week: Car wont idle!!

Driving home from work after a week of the car running just fine, engine started idling extremly low then would shut off, no stuttering or anything, just a clean death. Car starts just fine, if i hold the pedal at what idle speed should be, it runs fine.

Some things i noticed:
    The choke never closes on its own, it appears as tho it isnt connected to anything, not even the lever coming from the diaphram near the carb. just kinda sits there on its own in the closed position. with the car started if i hold the choke near closed it idles just fine, except extremely high.

The spring on the arm next to the choke seems to be very loose. Is the choke supposed to be attached to this arm somehow? it appears as tho it should be but i can find nothing in my manual to give me a good picture.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX Coupe

Re: car starts, wont idle

Been searching, cant seem to find much info. attempting to spray the crap outta choke with carb&choke cleaner in the am...

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

see if you can find the picture here
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX Coupe

well, i cant seem to figure out what is going on with the car. it will start just fine, and runs fine untill it reaches normal temp. at this point the idle drops to zero or near zero and will die. unfortunately i dont have the time or money to keep messing with this car since i have an 11 month old daughter, a fiance, and trying to get an apartment so the car will be going to pick n pull unless some magic happens.

Vehicle
    88 accord dx gone- new toy 91 accord ex

Quote Originally Posted by Kagato View Post
    well, i cant seem to figure out what is going on with the car. it will start just fine, and runs fine untill it reaches normal temp. at this point the idle drops to zero or near zero and will die. unfortunately i dont have the time or money to keep messing with this car since i have an 11 month old daughter, a fiance, and trying to get an apartment so the car will be going to pick n pull unless some magic happens.
    try a vacume romoval

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

Quote Originally Posted by xxxfrankensteinxxx View Post
    try a vacume romoval
    I can agree with that as a last ditch quick fix... though cold starts will be rough and the engine still might die at idle as well as drivability being poor until the engine warms up.
    - llia

Vehicle
    1989 Accord DX Coupe

biggest problem with that is i live in california and the car needs to be smogged, so i would have to fix this problem to smog it, as vac removal will not pass smog. unfortunately i dont have the money to rebuild the carb and replace the parts that look like they need to be replaced. have 2 months to find an apartment for my family and cant afford to spend any more money on the accord, and if i did i would need it to remain reliable, not have something new pop up and break down every week like it has been for the past few months

LX User
    Vehicle
    "The Phoenix" '88 DX Hatch A20A1 5-Speed

yea i had the same problem before with reliability, but if you get it fixed everything should be okay