Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To The Facts About Engine Swaps

Vehicle
    89 HONDA ACCORD LX-I HATCH BACK

To The Facts About Engine Swaps

Im Not Asking In A Harsh Way But Im Trying To Swap A B16a In My 3gee So People Tryin To Sway Me Its Not Gonna Work But Any One Who's Done It Theese Questions Are For You Guys And Yes Ive Done My Share Of Hitting The Search Button But Is There Any Threads (even Not On Here) That Have Step By Step And Pictures On What It Took To Swap And Every Thing No Watered Down Shit
    MAYBE IT WILL RUN BETTER IF I TOUCH THE BLACK WIRE TO THE RED

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

Re: To The Facts About Engine Swaps

search for vectors B18 swap... its going to be about the same he did a nice little write up and how to over come the axles and such

Vehicle

thanks man

Vehicle

anymore?

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

I Broke It Down Properly In Multiple Posts On Here. What Axles To Use, Everything. So Keep Hittin That Search Button.

How do you type like that? Do you really hit the shift button at the start of every word, or what?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

I Think If You Type A Whole Post In Capitals The Forum Goes And Changes Them To Do That

Vehicle

yea the caps lock was on lol but it did that its self hey do you have the thread you posted it in

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by yaboygotit View Post
    do you have the thread you posted it in
    I did a search for all the threads Accordtheory started https://www.3geez.com/forum/search.ph...d=778554&pp=25
    Hopefully you'll find the info you need in here
    Last edited by Pico; 09-13-2008 at 10:25 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

I can summarize my threads on the subject pretty quickly here. Use the civic/integra mounts. Modify the 3g chassis to fit. That is the easiest way to do it. Since you'll be welding on the chassis, why fab the mounts also when you can just adapt the chassis to use the oem style mounts.
    I used an 89 teg pass side axle for my pass side, and an accord pass side with integra end on it for my driver's side. (slightly unequal length, not a big deal). My motor must sit kind of far over to the passenger side, as I had to sledgehammer out part of the chassis for the tranny to clear nicely. It looks pretty good though, like it came that way.
    Convert the car to obd1. You'll have to hack up your wiring harness and add wires for the distributor, o2, vtec, iacv, map, etc. Don't deal with rywire, they'll take your money and give you a piece of shit that doesn't fit. They haven't even seen a 3g in person, much less test fitted anything they built on one. Probably the easiest way to do this is combine the a20 and b16 harnesses into one, with a separate connector for the added wires going through the firewall to the obd0-obd1 jumper at the ecu.

Shift linkage: Easy. Switch the ends.
    Clutch cable: Modify the end using a spacer.
    Throttle cable: Make a new bracket.
    Misc: You need to modify the speed sensor signal from the dash to the ecu for vtec to work without a chipped ecu.

I'm sure I forgot plenty of little shit, but whatever. It's not like you're going to get anyone to tell you every last thing while you do the swap, so just get into it and figure it out.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    It's not like you're going to get anyone to tell you every last thing while you do the swap, so just get into it and figure it out.
    x2
    do the work not someone elses lol not one b swap on here is the same there all done different

Vehicle

thaks alot guys really i aint gone be much of a pest after this but what should i keep on the car what shouldnt i throw away that i will need lol (last question)

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

keep everything until you are done to be sure... do you have a list of parts that you are getting, maybe it would be helpful for us to know what you are trying to do in a more specific way so we can advise on anything you might be forgetting?
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

you have an engine and tranny yet?
    the best way for this to explain itself is to get jdm front clip, or at least get the whole powerplant intact with alternator and all bolted to it.
    Practically everything will come off the Accord, all but brake stuff, power steering hoses,cables, heater hoses, a few wire bulkheads, and radiator will be all you need. You will find dozens of little attached brackets and stuff that looks like it was added in by engineers as they went along design building the car. Lose that shit some of it will cut the shit otta you when you are working on things.
    you may want to remove the radiator assembly and top support bracket.
    here is a naked engine compt before installing a swap, still a few little things on the fender apron that went later.. some carb control stuff under that brake line junction block.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 09-15-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Vehicle

i dont have the engine yet but im planing on doin a b16a swap no ls vtec just the b16 and its mainly gonna be for the track so things like ac power steering and the other un needed crap will come off im building it to bracket race but this tread hit the nail on the head thanks guys i should be starting in the next week but i will be gutting the interior and doin $1,000 worth of body work on it so i wont get to the motor till late september im waitin for my brother to come back from college he is a honda tec up in indiana so he's gonna lead the operation

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

i don't know what i would do without the internet for lols

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by knarg View Post
    i don't know what i would do without the internet for lols

Vehicle
    88 accord hb dx

Quote Originally Posted by Accordtheory View Post
    I can summarize my threads on the subject pretty quickly here. Use the civic/integra mounts. Modify the 3g chassis to fit. That is the easiest way to do it. Since you'll be welding on the chassis, why fab the mounts also when you can just adapt the chassis to use the oem style mounts.
    I used an 89 teg pass side axle for my pass side, and an accord pass side with integra end on it for my driver's side. (slightly unequal length, not a big deal). My motor must sit kind of far over to the passenger side, as I had to sledgehammer out part of the chassis for the tranny to clear nicely. It looks pretty good though, like it came that way.
    Convert the car to obd1. You'll have to hack up your wiring harness and add wires for the distributor, o2, vtec, iacv, map, etc. Don't deal with rywire, they'll take your money and give you a piece of shit that doesn't fit. They haven't even seen a 3g in person, much less test fitted anything they built on one. Probably the easiest way to do this is combine the a20 and b16 harnesses into one, with a separate connector for the added wires going through the firewall to the obd0-obd1 jumper at the ecu.

Shift linkage: Easy. Switch the ends.
    Clutch cable: Modify the end using a spacer.
    Throttle cable: Make a new bracket.
    Misc: You need to modify the speed sensor signal from the dash to the ecu for vtec to work without a chipped ecu.

I'm sure I forgot plenty of little shit, but whatever. It's not like you're going to get anyone to tell you every last thing while you do the swap, so just get into it and figure it out.
    its about time sum1 helped out on a bswap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle
    88 accord hb dx

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    you have an engine and tranny yet?
    the best way for this to explain itself is to get jdm front clip, or at least get the whole powerplant intact with alternator and all bolted to it.
    Practically everything will come off the Accord, all but brake stuff, power steering hoses,cables, heater hoses, a few wire bulkheads, and radiator will be all you need. You will find dozens of little attached brackets and stuff that looks like it was added in by engineers as they went along design building the car. Lose that shit some of it will cut the shit otta you when you are working on things.
    you may want to remove the radiator assembly and top support bracket.
    here is a naked engine compt before installing a swap, still a few little things on the fender apron that went later.. some carb control stuff under that brake line junction block.
    what kinda jdm front clip??? integra??? accord???

hello my name is rushell ihave a 1989 lxi and a 1993 teg i need to know what i need to do to swap the b18 into my 3g wiring ect contact me at 706 955 8860 home or 762 215 1646 cell thanks

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

^^^ idk if thats a joke or not?

and to the guy planning on doing the bswap because he didnt know how to search properly, do the swap before you do body work. that way if u scratch things up you can fix it later when you do paint.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1999 Penalty Box

Not to be harsh rushell, but we aren't a tech support line. No one pays us for sharing all of this information that many of us have spent years and countless dollars acquiring. The only thing we ask is that you at least try to do some of your own legwork. Every single bit of information you need is on this forum. If you can't find it using the site's search feature, use the command "site:3geez.com" on google to search 3geez a step deeper.

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

I/H/E, B16 mani, delta 272, OBD1....etc

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Dude DUDE
    HOW DID YOU DO THAT? ! , AWESOME JOB MAN
    btw my post ( roodoo2) was useless if you hav a whole teggy donar car you have tbe front clip already. Pretty much a cut and dry swap but you will ned correct axles, splines etc. You can get the PR mount kit or you can cut/mig the teggy unibody motor support sections. Wiring is a matter of knowing the main power and inputs off the donar car. There are plenty of good ideas for those here and as well you can get ideas from Civic swaps too on other sites.
    I would guess this isnt any more difficult than swapping a big block 460 in to a f100 ford with a streight six, skill wise. Same things to consider re-engineering. Wireing not much different than installing complete aftermarket stereo, skill wise.
    Tuning about like customizing your pc os software or programing a home hvac thermostat as far as skill level.
    Last edited by 2oodoor; 03-08-2014 at 03:28 PM.

thanks i love my 3g and i will keep it untill the day i die i will search deeper untill i have all the info that i need thanks again

i just get upset somtimes when i look for stuff and everybody i know tells me to get a civic i have had my 3g for a long time and it has been everywhere with me germany cali texas and here in georgia i want to do the swap because it will give me more options to do more things to it later such as vtech head and much more thanks for your help and keep the 3g dream alive when im finish i will post pics and videos once im done or before and after pics thanks