After meeting up with John (2ndGenGuy) last weekend, I thought I would share a little bit of what I have been up to over the last few months. I blew a head gasket last September in my EL motor so I figured I would upgrade the whole thing:
I went with a rebuilt ‘81 EK bored 40 over.
I sent my ‘81 EL head down to Maloof Racing in Duluth, Georgia and let Bryan Maloof work his magic. The work consisted of: new bronze guides, custom oversized stainless steel intake and exhaust valves, new Crower springs, Ferrea titanium retainers and Mitusbishi valve locks. The valves were made to use Mitsubishi locks and retainers to get rid of the old style "tractor" locks the early Hondas used.
The quench side of the head was welded to gain some HP and much needed swirl to get complete combustion. Basically, it was welded into a heart shape and it had the added benefit of boosting compression w/o having to shave too much off the head. With the head shave and planing of the block the final compression is about 10.6:1 For the time being, I am running a Colt cam with a mild street grind (it’s a profile that I hate). Through the winter I hope to have a hard face welded cam done up once I figure out a better profile.
I upgraded to a custom adjustable cam gear and with the larger displacement and better flow I increased the size of the venturis in my Dellortos to 32mm from the 30 mm ones I was using with the EL. The engine was bolted up to my 82-83 GK 5 speed transmission with a lightened fly wheel (approx 11 pounds).
By July I finally had the engine mounted in my ‘78 Civic. The engine pulls really hard up top and will basically pull until it blows. I really do hate the cam though, and will likely swap back to a stock cam until I figure out a better profile. For now, I am just waiting on some air filters, and am considering having the distributor re-curved through the winter.
Here are some pics: