Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85 conversion kit

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

E85 conversion kit

For those of you that have ever thought of converting your gas guzzler to the more efficent E85 flex fuel.

Just thought if any of you got bored or if gas prices continue to rise, heres an alternative.

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront
    Phil

Re: E85 conversion kit

MORE efficient? Since our engines are not optimized for the octane level of E85 you would actually lose approximately 30% of your fuel economy and power (limited as it is). E85 would make sense for a turbocharged car because you could increase the boost pressure to take advantage of that octane, but other than that you wouldn't be gaining anything.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

This will start a shit storm but I'm pretty happy mixing E-85(30%) with 87 octane. At this time im right on getting 30 mpg(city) this week with the cooler air. I might do it in the future with bigger injectors and tricking the O2 sensor I think it can be done pretty easy on our cars.

I am thinking about converting the wifes Astro van over theres a guy that will flash a computer for about 385$ or if you buy a Diablo sport he will sell you the program for 80$. I thought about having two computers one for gas and one for E-85 JIC when we travel.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

were the hell do u get e85 never seen it before lol

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

http://afdc.energy.gov/afdc/stations/find_station.php

put your zip in there jackson and see if you got any near you. Its usally 20-60 cents cheaper then unleaded.
    Now running E85.

Around here I have only seen it at the Krogers grocery stores that have gas stations. I said my piece and I am staying out to avoid, as OldBlue put it, a shit storm.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Did I start "a shit storm" dam. I was hoping for a hurricaine.
    Phil

Vehicle
    88 LXi

http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php?action=forum

hah naw Im used to it. That link up there has some other kits. I read your link but im not sure what they are selling you. It seems to be some kinda box I would bet it just making your car run richer with E-85.

I still remember when the gal at Pep boys in 1995 told me converting my car to 134a would make "green goo" and purple jelly and the compressor would sieze.

I think the best things I have read is that a motor built just for E-85 with high compression is the way to go. Its what the drag racers are finding out and they don't pay to go slower. There some things about ethanol and its burn rate that some are calling the "perfect" fuel.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Yet, Audi won the "Le Mans" with a diesel engine.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    For those of you that have ever thought of converting your gas guzzler to the more efficent E85 flex fuel.

Just thought if any of you got bored or if gas prices continue to rise, heres an alternative.

http://www.change2e85.com/servlet/StoreFront
    He says, "gas guzzler" so that leaves out my Accords,
    I thought the most concern with E85 is corrosion in the fuel system and by product residue. I notice the "miracle" blend post Ike hurricane fuel we have been getting is making my Weber a bit moody, and my 2004 Ford pickem up it exits the tailpipe faster. We are out of gas almost everywhere here today btw, maybe time for some corn squeezins

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Bah, humbug! Ethanol is a good fuel but it's highly subsidized and is in the end a net loss as far as energy per dollar. Until we find a way to produce it efficiently (cellulosic ethanol maybe) it will continue to be a net loss. This is rather blasphemous for me to say since I live in Illinois where the vast majority of farms grow corn for ethanol.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ory-on-ethanol

My alternative is diesel/veggie oil.

C|

If you have high enough compression E85 could be considered the poor man's racing fuel.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Ethanol is a good fuel but it's highly subsidized and is in the end a net loss as far as energy per dollar.
    Not to mention that it causes food price inflation here and food price riots in Asia.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah I keep telling everyone little kids in China are starving because of the corn shortage here.

Has anyone else tried mixing ,or blending they call it?
    Now running E85.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    http://afdc.energy.gov/afdc/stations/find_station.php

put your zip in there jackson and see if you got any near you. Its usally 20-60 cents cheaper then unleaded.

wp
    damn ...
    No stations matching the search criteria were found.

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Bump

having same good luck broke off some 30 mpg this fall in the coolers temps.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

I intend to run E85 in my car after I bump the compression up in it. Definitely a cheaper alternative to running race gas all the time.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Oddly enough I'm considering converting my Prelude to run E85. It's somewhat funny considering the last post made in this thread.

I would rather do propane but it would be a hassle to fill. It has to be done by an actual filling station and since there are no street legal conversion kits for these old cars, I don't think they would be too happy doing it. The only other option would be to make the tank swappable and just bring in the tank to swap. Again, more hassle.

But E85 is available all over the place here and it is very much a cheap racing fuel. To really take full advantage of it you would want a much higher compression ratio, up to 14:1 or so. I'm strongly considering modifying a head to do this but I'm not sure its possible to get that high without changing pistons. Even welding up and milling might not be enough.

C|

Vehicle

I've been thinking 13:1 compression on my build via custom pistons. However, Cygnus if you can figure out a way to get that high with just modifying the head I'd be willing to pay you to do the headwork for me when I start my build.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Oddly enough I'm considering converting my Prelude to run E85. It's somewhat funny considering the last post made in this thread.

I would rather do propane but it would be a hassle to fill. It has to be done by an actual filling station and since there are no street legal conversion kits for these old cars, I don't think they would be too happy doing it. The only other option would be to make the tank swappable and just bring in the tank to swap. Again, more hassle.

But E85 is available all over the place here and it is very much a cheap racing fuel. To really take full advantage of it you would want a much higher compression ratio, up to 14:1 or so. I'm strongly considering modifying a head to do this but I'm not sure its possible to get that high without changing pistons. Even welding up and milling might not be enough.

C|

yeah on my coupe i have a welded head and it only brings up the compression up to 10.5:1

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    yeah on my coupe i have a welded head and it only brings up the compression up to 10.5:1
    I'm thinking that custom forged pistons are gonna be the way to go. I'm hoping I can get enough money set aside this winter to start on my build. Damn you college and low paying job!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by turabaka View Post
    I'm thinking that custom forged pistons are gonna be the way to go. I'm hoping I can get enough money set aside this winter to start on my build. Damn you college and low paying job!
    yeah man just throw some b16 pistons...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    88 LXi

C|
    Yeah you would need piston to go that high. I just dont think there is enough area in the heads chamber to fill up(milling and welding) to get it that high.

There some compression calculators online you can mess with the numbers. I am not sure the CC of our combustion chambers but the other numbers are available. Just keep pluggin in lower CC numbers and see how far you can get.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

But what about the rest of the fuel system? Extended usage of E85 and degradation of the hardware?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

So far for me its bunk but I am only running 30% at the most. I am running 50% on my Scout but its 440/ carbed of course. I use plastic gas line on it but its a steel tank. I only think with maybe some Aluminium maybe there might be a problem. I can call RC engineering and see what they say Im using there 250cc injectors.

I got some moonshine here in the cabinet and some AL pieces I guess its time for a little experiment
    Now running E85.