Thread: 1989 Honda Accord Fuel Pump removal.

LX User

1989 Honda Accord Fuel Pump removal.

Hey guys, I just replaced my fuel filter and its not pumping gas, so i have looked and looked for how to remove this thing, and all I can come up with is its under the back seat, correct? Anyone done this before or have any info? Thanks!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Re: 1989 Honda Accord Fuel Pump removal.

you need to remvoe your boot carpet and spare wheel cover and the whole back seat to make it easyer, then you will see two caps there it will be under one of them, just a bunch of 10mm bolts to undo. the fuel sender will be on the right pump on the elft looking from the back of the car

LX User

Yeah, i see them. Ok, so you think what it sounds like is the fuel pump or fuel sender?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Was it pumping gas before you put the filter on it?

The Main Relay controls the fuel pump and shuts it off for safety if the engine is not running.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

hey go under the hood on the driver side pull the fuel filter line apart and have someone pump the accelerator pedal and see if fuel is coming out.. if not then it is the fuel pump..

it happend to me.. lol
    one day I'll return.

im havin the same problem kinda i can get the pressure in the gas tank but nothing makes it to the fuel filter. what the hell is wrong with it? is it a fuel regulater or what?

LX User

I recently replaced the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Problem was helped a little, but it was still there. I just ordered a brand new main fuel relay, and its working like a charm. I'd first go pick up a new filter, then a main relay, cuz more than likely your pump is good, just not being triggered on.

5.25 Memphis Mclass fronts
    6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp
    15' Memphis PR sub with ported box.

Next, head work, new exhaust(2 1/4 inch) and cam.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by 86ccord View Post
    hey go under the hood on the driver side pull the fuel filter line apart and have someone pump the accelerator pedal and see if fuel is coming out.. if not then it is the fuel pump..

it happend to me.. lol
    Pumping the gas doesn't turn the pump on.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 LX

Hi
    Is your car aspirated or fuel injected? Carbureted accords have two filters, 1 at the tank and one at the firewall. Also 20 year old fuel and vacuum lines crumble, believe it or not. There are a bunch of rubber lines at the tank...... I replaced all of the rubber in my 89LX beater last year because it was cracking. You should hear the fuel pump power up when you turn the ignition on. If not check the wiring at the pump for live elec. If the pump is 'hot' pull the closest fuel connection to the tank, before the fuel filters or filter, and see if it passes fuel. good luck.

its fuel injected. i cant hear the fuel pump kick on but if i prime it a couple of times then go open the gas cap its got some pressure behind it. i call me dad earlier and he called me a f**king idiot he so go get some damn gas its probably dont have enough in it to suck it up. its at 1/4 tank so im gonna try that and see what happens. im thinkin that the rubber hoses inside the tank are bad now that you mentioned it cause when i get about 1/4 tank its starts to sputter a little