Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SOMEONE BUY THIS CAR on eBAY!!

Vehicle

Re: SOMEONE BUY THIS CAR on eBAY!!

WOW!
    You stole my baby and made her look even better! LOL My project car is an 81 in almost the same condition (Obviously not as good though) and it's the same color too, I wish I had your stereo though, strangely enough! Mine is a 5 speed and she's around "200,000 miles old". People don't understand why I love mine but you just gotta drive one to really know the charm of this little car! Anyhow I live in the Sacramento area and I happen to know someone who might be interested (I would jump on this opportunity in a heart beat if I had the cashflow, but I'm a "poor student" right now.) Anyhow I am going to show this person as soon as I can and see if they'll make you an offer, and trust me your sweet old ride would be "going to a good home with someone who'll love her"

DX User
    Vehicle
    88 LX sedan (sold)

Old Honda's rule !!

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by lostscotiaguy View Post
    WOW!
    You stole my baby and made her look even better! LOL My project car is an 81 in almost the same condition (Obviously not as good though) and it's the same color too, I wish I had your stereo though, strangely enough! Mine is a 5 speed and she's around "200,000 miles old". People don't understand why I love mine but you just gotta drive one to really know the charm of this little car! Anyhow I live in the Sacramento area and I happen to know someone who might be interested (I would jump on this opportunity in a heart beat if I had the cashflow, but I'm a "poor student" right now.) Anyhow I am going to show this person as soon as I can and see if they'll make you an offer, and trust me your sweet old ride would be "going to a good home with someone who'll love her"
    You should post pictures of your car! I've actually seen my car's twin on the road in LA, well not personally but my sister and mother have sent me photos of another beige '81 accord on the 101 highway. Let me know if your friend is interested.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Let me know if your friend is interested.
    Definitely! I do have some OLD pics of "Goldie" and I keep meaning to take some pics of her but she's badly in need of a bath right now. I haven't had her out on the road for a while due to our lovely cali smog laws but I think I'm pretty close to remedying the problem.

As for my friend (I lied, it's actually my mother! LOL) but she needs a "new" car and she loves "Goldie" but obviously that's just not an option for her, plus she wants an automatic! I am going to see what I can do in terms of getting her interested in your car. I would hate to see such a pristine example go to waste, it really is in amazing condition! I will ask 1 question though: Have you had any trouble with smog? LOL

Vehicle

Posted for Jess... I don't wanna crowd your thread with unrelated stuff!.....
    Although one of these is funny cause I still had a 1st gen civic rim on the front!
    Thankfully I think it's my spare tire now!

Vehicle

Last edited by lostscotiaguy; 04-06-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Removed, my pics were too big!

DX User

Although one of these is funny cause I still had a 1st gen civic rim on the front!

edit: Noooo I'm posting from my phone and my reply didn't go through. I'll try again...

Thanks for the pictures! I don't mind them being in this thread at all. Wow, your car really is related to mine. Our cars are so cute... It would be adorable if you and your mother ended up driving the same car! Where/when did you find yours?

Re: smog, I bought my accord in 2008 and had it inspected then. It passed, and I don't think my car has gotten particularly worse over the past year and a half but I can get it checked out. The car drives really well. My sister and I loove driving it. But did you see my first post where I talk about the problems with it? Namely, the plastic shifter may need be replaced (it gets stuck, and although I dealt with it, I don't think your mother will want to), there seems to be a leak in the power steering (I took it in to get the fluid replaced every time it drained, which occurred every few months and was quick and cheap, but since you're car savvy you can probably either repair it or refill it yourself at home), and the lowest AC control doesn't work (med/high work well). I heard that's an easy fix. As someone who doesn't know anything about cars, I lived with these issues but I think you'll want to work them out before giving the car to your mother.
    Last edited by Jess; 04-06-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Need more PICS!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Sorry Jess!

Well after much effort on my part I was unfortunately able to "get anywhere" in terms of convincing her. She DID fall in love with it but unfortunately she's just too nervous about "Old car" issues despite all my assurances.
    I realise that all of the issues it has are small potatoes and easily fixable, so that's not a problem (Heck, I even have a new steering rack waiting to be installed, mine was leaking too and I got a new one for only $150 on Ebay!). I think it's just that she has seen me working to restore mine and it's pretty much been a constant affair for over 4 years now, the last 2 it's been off the road due to smog issues.

To be honest though a lot of that time was spent either without the money or the means to do the work (No garage, wrong tools, etc.) she needs a lot, but it's all "little things". Heck, I can go outside right now and start it on the first turn, and drive it anywhere! (If it was legal).

So, I know i'm being overdramatic, but I write this with some sadness as I was hoping I'd be able to help 2 people out AND save a beautiful car at the same time! I guess I'll close by saying please don't let your parents just "get rid" of this car and I hope it goes to a good home, it deserves an owner that appreciates what they have!

I wish you the best of luck and Take Care! I know the right buyer will come along!

Vehicle

Re: More pics

OK Hazwan, here ya go! The lighting is bad and the car IS dirty but you asked, so I will oblige....Your car and pics are much better though!

I don't know if you remember me but I've seen your car and talked to you on car domain AND youtube, in fact I actually have 2 pics of your car on my computer!

By lostscotiaguy, shot with DSC-P72 at 2010-04-07

And one pic I call "Why I hate Keihin"
    Last edited by lostscotiaguy; 04-07-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Lostscotiaguy, your car is lovely! Very nice really, i wonder why it didnt pass smog test.
    Is that Keihin involved?
    EDIT: I hate to say but that carb cause me a lot of troubles, now EFI is in the close future.
    Last edited by 1GCustomAccord; 04-08-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Yes I remember you! I knew that car looked familiar haha

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle

Last edited by lostscotiaguy; 04-11-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: double posted somehow!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post
    Lostscotiaguy, your car is lovely! Very nice really, i wonder why it didnt pass smog test.
    Is that Keihin involved?
    EDIT: I hate to say but that carb cause me a lot of troubles, now EFI is in the close future.
    Yeah, I was only failing on NOx so I thought it was just my EGR (My cat conv. is only 3 years old). Thankfully I'm presently going to school for my ASE and I finally got into a class with the guy that teaches smog cert. courses. He told me that Fuel/air mix DOES effect NOx, as NOx is directly related to heat in the comb. chamber, and running lean will cause higher temps.

SO (Sorry I talk too much! LOL) I have pretty much rebuilt my carb and re-tweaked it, as it was worked on a few years ago and never adjusted properly. I ended up doing my float adjustment and both my Idle Mixture adjustments, turns out my Aux. screw was ALL the way in. So, after I change the oil and maybe take out my thermostat (Hoping to run cooler and hedge my bets) I'm gonna take her in for another test. She's been off the road for too long!

Oh, and Re: "now EFI is in the close future"E
    EFI?, how are you doing that?

Side Note: Some Douche egged her last night but thankfully I got it off quickly enough. I live in a crappy/ghetto apt. complex...

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Kill eggers! Eggs will put nice spiderweb shaped cracks in your paint and cause some $$$ damage. The yolk won't do anything, you can leave that on the paint for days.

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

THIS:

Is a mono-port or single-port injector.
    It features a built-in TPS sensor,air temperature sensor,idle control actuator,fuel pressure regulator and a single injector. In this case a Magneti Marelli 40MB25 unit from a Renault 19.
    To complete the combo, a R-19 ECM and wiring harness will be installed in the car, along with a lambda (or O2 sensor) in the exhaust, a MAP sensor and a 7 bar external fuel pump.
    So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

Vehicle

Wow! That's quite the trick! Looks like Throttle body injection instead of fuel injection, either way VERY cool... so are you able to bolt this directly to your intake manifold or do you need an adapter plate...AND....
    I would assume you have to drill and weld your own bung onto the exhaust manifold for the O2 sensor (I'm assuming you'd use the same type that was used on the Renault) or would you place it AFTER the catalytic converter?
    I wish I had the skills/tools do to stuff like this! Thanks for posting, it's good to know these options exist.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord LX-i (BT- 142K) - 1993 Civic DX (225K) - 1996 Camry DX (173K)

Yes, it is TBI; some Civics from the late 1980s have a similar system (but I think with two injectors in the throttle body). I saw them in the junkyard.
    The O2 sensor goes straight in the exhaust mani BEFORE the cat converter.

1G: why TBI from a R-19? It is a bolt-on where the carburetor sits? Are VWs more common over there, or it is easier to adapt the one you got than one from a VW? Just curious.
    Last edited by ecogabriel; 04-13-2010 at 08:15 PM.
    If it ain't broke... I fix it!

Vehicle

Thread BUMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Hi everyone,

I thought I would bump this thread instead of creating a new one. As you may (or may not) remember, I bought the 1981 Honda Accord in this thread on eBay in 2008. Two years later, I have now moved to New York for college and my parents want me to get rid of my car because they don't have room for it.

I wanted to check and see if anyone here is interested in buying it. I don't intend to get anywhere near as much as I paid for it, and despite the way it may look, I absolutely love that car and don't regret buying it. It was my first car ever and I drove it daily for a year and a half; my boyfriend at the time was equally in love with it and even though some people didn't understand and thought it was just an old car, a lot of people appreciated it as well. The car still has less than 70,000 miles on it because I mostly drove it around the city. We figured out in this thread that the low miles are original and not a rollback.

Anyway, there are a few issues with it that I honestly don't know the severity of, but since all of you guys are experts, I'll just list everything I can think of here:

- The plastic shifter sometimes gets stuck when you try to put it into park (from D to P or R). Other times it moves easily. This problem appeared within the first few months of my driving the car and my parents thought it was unsafe, but I dealt with it and still drove it.

- The low setting for the A/C doesn't work.

- The car vibrates a lot when it idles and is not warmed up; I don't know if this is really a problem or if all cars this old do this.

- There is a leak in the power steering.

- The seats are somewhat torn up in places that the original seller hid with seat covers. I just left the seat covers on.

That's all I can think of right now. I know everyone here adores these cars, and I don't want it to end up in a junkyard. If I can't sell it, hopefully my parents will just let me keep it, but I figured if there's one place where people care about my car, it's here. I apologize if this post sounds at all naive (I'm a 20 year old female), but I trust people here.

I live in Los Angeles, California. The car looks like this:

So many reasons why
    From Paraguay

DX User

Sorry for vanishing, but real life took over and I haven't had internet access for a while. My dad told me on the phone yesterday that he wants to use the garage space and is thinking about sending my car to the junkyard. I would really like to sell it, though.

What do I do?

LX User
    Vehicle
    87 Honda Accord DX

what si wrong with the car , does it have tags on it , what area do you live in, you cant hide it some where or put a fake tag on it and park it, or sell it to me

DX User

Quote Originally Posted by bryan42688 View Post
    what si wrong with the car , does it have tags on it , what area do you live in, you cant hide it some where or put a fake tag on it and park it, or sell it to me
    I live in Los Angeles, California. The car has tags on it. I think we could park it on the street at the bottom of our driveway, but my parents just don't want it sitting around anymore, as I won't be living at home for the next three years. I think my sister's boyfriend is going to talk to some people about selling it... I just really hope it doesn't come down to it being sent to a junkyard, because it's beautiful.

I'll copy and paste what is wrong with the car from earlier in the thread:

Anyway, there are a few issues with it that I honestly don't know the severity of, but since all of you guys are experts, I'll just list everything I can think of here:

- The plastic shifter sometimes gets stuck when you try to put it into park (from D to P or R). Other times it moves easily. This problem appeared within the first few months of my driving the car and my parents thought it was unsafe, but I dealt with it and still drove it.

- The low setting for the A/C doesn't work.

- The car vibrates a lot when it idles and is not warmed up; I don't know if this is really a problem or if all cars this old do this.

- There is a leak in the power steering.

- The seats are somewhat torn up in places that the original seller hid with seat covers. I just left the seat covers on.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Gah! Don't junk it! At least give it to someone who could use a classic Honda and do a little fixin' up on it...

Vehicle
    89 HONDA ACCORD LXi

Quote Originally Posted by LxAcc510 View Post
    wow that thing's mint
    U AINT LYING. ITS LIKE A JDM GHOST. BEIN EXTINT LIKE THE DINOSAURS N PERFECT COND I THINK IT IS WELL WORTH THE PRICE. http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/a...21/MY%20HONDA/
    BIG N BAD WIT VTEC

Vehicle
    1981 HONDA ACCORD 4dr

Hey everybody, where the hell have i been!?! Jess i hope this beauty is still available and not scrapped.. contact me LMK!!! Jay.
    Last edited by 81vintyminty; 05-12-2011 at 05:30 PM.