Thread: TV cable Adjustment - trans wont shift

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX 2.0c Auto

TV cable Adjustment - trans wont shift

OK I think the trans is bad but i have been told no it might be the TV cable. I followed the instruction found here at 3geez but still same problem.

Here is the skinny, I was on a long country road and I got in it. I down shifted too third (its auto) and then back into fourth and let off around 120 mph. It seemed fine till the next day when it did not want to come out of first at all till about 40 mph or around 5500 rpm. I manual shifted it to low 2 and started out progressing to 3rd then to 4th. Got it home and let it sit. A couple hours later it shifted fine but hard. Then after a few days it was slipping in first. After not driving it for a day it seemed that the slipping went away but would not come out of first unless I dropped it to low 2 then it shift hard into 2nd and stay there. I changed the fluid with Honda fluid and Lucas......to no effect. I have adjusted the cable which was very loose, had a lot of deflection. I had to adjust the cable almost all the way out to get it taught and now the gas pedal is harder and acceleration is poor but no change in the shifting. I have reverse, D4 - will start in 1st but have to manually drop it into D2 to get second, no third no fourth.

Does anyone have any suggestions or am I correct the trans is bad?

1986 Accord DX 2.0 carb
    WOW rules

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

Re: TV cable Adjustment - trans wont shift

You got exactly what you deserved. It would be a waste of time advising you. You take a 22 y/o auto trans and try to treat like a manual at excessive speed.
    Phil

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

still sounds like it is out of whacky
    since your speedo cable fried, maybe the auto cable is hanging up in the cable housing too (same area across the exhaust), also check the other end of the cable.

2ndGenGuy

You shifted into 3rd @ 120mph??

Manual shifting in a regular auto won't make the car any faster... Manual shifting is good for keeping the transmission from "hunting." Or maybe for certain adverse weather conditions.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 10-02-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    You shifted into 3rd @ 120mph??
    no no, he said he downshifted on a country road, to third, then fouth and let off at 120

only thing that barfed out loud was adding lucas to a tranny

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord DX 2.0c Auto

Quote Originally Posted by nswst8 View Post
    You got exactly what you deserved. It would be a waste of time advising you. You take a 22 y/o auto trans and try to treat like a manual at excessive speed.
    First off if you have nothing to add to the thread that is helpful please refrain from posting. Your comment is based on information you did not have in which if you did you you have realized it was inaccurate statement to make.

Second, the trans was reworked about 2yrs ago and roughly 30k or so. The Engine also has been freshened up. The exhaust has been replaced from the head back as well as the induction system. I.E. civic air box and cold air tubing. The carb has been replaced with a Red Line Weber. The ignition has been upgraded to a hotter coil and better wires. The brakes have been converted over to rear disc and has EBC pads front and rear along with EBC rotors. All ball joints and bushing's as well as tie rods have been replaced along with struts front and rear with new springs. I have not replaced the stock wheels and tires yet or added a body kit or paint. Those are on the list to get done as money and time permits.

Third the car maybe 20yrs old but I treat it well. I have done this work so that I can drive the car harder then if it was stock. I do not road race it or rally race it. I have only had the car over 90 a mere three times. I frankly was surprised by the 120 mph but it felt good, stable and smooth. I maintained this speed for about four mins then back down.

Third, I do not treat it like a manual otherwise I would have bought one with a stick or just converted it over. When the car was downshifted into third is was for a mere few seconds @ or around 70 - 75 mph's.

I came here looking for help from the very people that advocate tuning of Honda's. I feel like I ventured into a forum run by Blizzard. I tried to give information that would have been helpful not generate flaming.

If anyone has any suggestions or diagnostic steps let me know please. I do not know much about automatic's so any help would be welcomed. A tranny rebuild will run about $1400.00 so I want to make sure it toast and have a pretty good idea that is before I turn it over to a tranny shop. The shop I used before has since closed so I have no trusted source anymore.
    WOW rules

Vehicle
    88 LXi

At the top of this section theres a place to dl the Honda manual. With a weber Im not sure how the cable should be adjusted buts its on page 15-79 or there abouts. I don't have an auto but there shold be just a little free play 2 mm at the shift lever and nut to nut the cable should be 85.5 mm.

Since you wrote about your problem with heat and cables do think that the cable has been stretched or damaged?

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User

take it apart and inspect everything then rebuilt it. should not take more than a day if you have the parts. replace all selenoids, and drive.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by circusboy90210 View Post
    take it apart and inspect everything then rebuilt it. should not take more than a day if you have the parts. replace all selenoids, and drive.
    Check the thread date before answering, you just replied to a thread from 2008

DX User

the pertinance of the age of the post has nothing to do with it needing answered god bless you.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by circusboy90210 View Post
    sorry, no solenoids in these cars unless you have a JDM which only has external solenoids for TC

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Hatch (Sold),1989 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 88 LX-i Sedan (Sold), 89 LX-i Sedan (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    this is why I hate coming here lately, with the exception of friends that I have here and some useful information.
    You cant tell the noobs anything
    How you doing Snooz?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Pice, your avatar !! Bacon Spam rocks out loud! love it, frie the mess out of it so it becomes somewhat crispy but it will still be kind of chewy but it's better than regular Spam.

This thread comes up on a search for the topic and it is a shame it turned into flooging monkey crap. Facepalm for real, who is it that thinks they want to finsih every thread to the satisfaction of the OP? wow that would be a herculean task if you did it net wide on just one forum not to mention all auto forums. Sounds like a job for Santas off season trolls lol

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    Pice, your avatar !! Bacon Spam rocks out loud! love it, frie the mess out of it so it becomes somewhat crispy but it will still be kind of chewy but it's better than regular Spam.

This thread comes up on a search for the topic and it is a shame it turned into flooging monkey crap. Facepalm for real, who is it that thinks they want to finsih every thread to the satisfaction of the OP? wow that would be a herculean task if you did it net wide on just one forum not to mention all auto forums. Sounds like a job for Santas off season trolls lol
    Spam
    How are you doing Roo?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

sorry, I accidently mispelled your name.. and im doing ok I guess

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Hey Pico. Thanks for asking. I'm doing fine. Just trying to prepare for the end of the world. You know that animals are simply dropping dead all around the world? There have been a number of instances in the US of birds falling dead from the sky, thousands at a time. Ten thousand cows fell down dead in Vietnam not long ago and no one knows why. The bees are disappearing and we are in the midst of a mass species extinction like we haven't seen since the dinosaurs disappeared. I keep reading about new strains of highly virulent, antibiotic resistant bacteria like MRSA and C Diff. There is a global food crisis. There's a severe drought in Texas that is predicted to put the Dust Bowl to shame if it continues. There is a severe shortage of hay for beef cows. A recent study found that 90% of wild alfalfa in the US has been contaminated by Monsanto's genetically modified alfalfa. There is a trash gyre in the Pacific estimated to be twice the size of Texas. (Twice the size of Texas!!) There may be another in the Atlantic but we aren't sure yet. There are vast dead zones in the oceans were nothing lives at all. There is global warming if you believe that, and severe droughts, killer storms and increasing desertification all over the earth if you don't. The US is wrapping up two of several resource wars it has waged recently and more are sure to follow. We're running out of oil and no one knows what will replace it. Kim Jong Il has the bomb and Iran is working hard to get one too. The real rate of un/underemployment is 22.2% in this country. Europe is lurching toward another 2008 style banking collapse. You can't buy anything from the store that doesn't fall apart in a year. All Washington can do is yell at each other and dream up new ways to screw the 99%. And they can't figure out why people are occupying Wall Street. I keep hoping this is all some terrible dream I will soon wake from...

Uh... Sorry. Things are just ducky. Really.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 11-01-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

crap, and the dam trans won't shift f*ck me lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 accord