Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 49,000 MINT 89 accord!!!!

LX User

49,000 MINT 89 accord!!!!

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/865140889.html

Alright, NOT MY CAR, but holy freaking CRAP! If it was a 5spd sedan I'd have bought it already. If I ever find a mint SEI 5spd, I'm going to buy it, cost is no object, but I've NEVER seen a 3G that clean before. Freaking crazy.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

Re: 49,000 MINT 89 accord!!!!

ooo that's clean!

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Looks incredible. Horribly overpriced though lol.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i see dents.... matts car pwns

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Not clean, just detailed. You'd be surprised what those detail guys can cover up.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

LX User

Overpriced? I don't think so. Here's why:

What other 4 door sedan with clean, sharp styling has double wishbone suspension, a drivetrain that lasts 300,000 miles, a great interior with honest materials that don't show wear, and comes in that tossable size?

Answer? Pretty much 3G accords.

I'd drop 15-20 grand on a NEW 89 Accord SEI if there was such a thing.

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

I'd say this goes for $3995, but yeah it would be a good deal for anyone who knows the reliability of these cars.
    Phil

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

I'd buy it, heck our cars have gone up in value somewhat with recent gas prices $4995 for a 49K LX-i isnt that horrid in my book, come on i see $2,500 LX's with 250K miles lol
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Yeah I'd buy it too if my government havnt been such an ass when it comes to imports, I figured that if I was to buy a mint 3G in states for lats say 3k$ than ship it here 4k$ then paid 25% tax, 750$, and then paid registration tax to top all that bull.s, well lats just say I laid my dream of having a mint SEi Coup on Ice. :/

back to topic, yes its mint and IF those are original miles on it, so 3K is what Id pay for it, no more. Even here You find a Mint Mint 3G ownd by one owner,all services kept, kept in garage and so one for 2-3K$ so...

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

it looks good but its not really a good colour to be worth lots in my opinion. Still its tidy. over here it would still be worth $1200NZD

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

$4500..

thanks...i needed a good laugh

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

i'd give 3 large tops for a car like that. yes, it's mint, but it's 20 (maybe 21) years old. although that's mitigated by the extreme cleanliness and low mileage, it should easily last another 20 years without needing major work. except that it's auto. but still, it's quite a deal for someone who wants a running car and all. the only bad part is that they're easy to total. not as in they're unsafe, but in that the smallest dent could end up with the insurance saying write it off. and yeah, like wohdog said, the color is kinda meh.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy View Post
    i'd give 3 large tops for a car like that. yes, it's mint, but it's 20 (maybe 21) years old. although that's mitigated by the extreme cleanliness and low mileage, it should easily last another 20 years without needing major work. except that it's auto. but still, it's quite a deal for someone who wants a running car and all. the only bad part is that they're easy to total. not as in they're unsafe, but in that the smallest dent could end up with the insurance saying write it off. and yeah, like wohdog said, the color is kinda meh.
    If someone actually carried full insurance on that, they'd be a fool. If someone hit the owner of that car and the other party's insurance totalled it, I'd still keep the car. It is a decent looking car, but I wonder what it would look like up close. If it truly is mint, 3-3.5G MAYBE. One small fender bender that damages a headlight motor and it's a "total loss", trust me.

LX User

Again, disagree. I think it's definitely worth that price, esp since it's got EFI. If it was carb, 3k tops.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Random thoughts:

- The high Blue Book value of the car is $3,305 (KBB). If you pay more than that, you're throwing good money away
    - Asking way, way over high Blue Book is typical used car lot strategy because they can drop the price a lot, make you feel like you got a real deal and still rob you. (Sometimes on newer cars they screw up and ask more for a used car than what it costs new on the lot next door.)
    - There aren't enough pics, or good quality pics, really to say whether this car is cherry or not. You haven't seen the interior, which might smell like dead rats, and the pics aren't even good enough to tell whether the paint is shiny.
    - The coupes never had power locks like the ad claims
    - This car is on a small, no-name lot. These cars all come from auction or trade-in. Cars that go to auction usually come from bigger dealerships who have gotten them on trade-in. They go to auction because the dealer has decided the car isn't in good enough condition to warrant the expense of fixing what's wrong.

I worked for a dealer throughout high school. I saw what the cars looked like on trade-in and what they looked like after they came back from the detail shop. Trust me, you wouldn't know that a pack of rabid possums on meth had been locked in the car for six months after the detail guys finish with it.

It could be a wonderful car, but it could be a mess. There's no way to know from the info given.

Maybe there is a member in that area who could settle the matter?
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 10-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

I may have an opinion counter to most. I really don't trust a car that old with mileage that low. It's not that I think the odometer reading is wrong. It's hard to tell from the small photos, but that car doesn't look any better than my 292,000 mile LXi. I have seen things on cars fail with age from non-use as well as excessive use. Regardless of how you slice it, it's a nineteen year old car from the 80's. It might be a better car than newer used cars, but I would rather buy one with appropriate mileage that has been well maintained than one that has spent most of its life sitting unused. Chances are if I bought a car like this one I would end up with a bunch of blown hoses in short order. And, yes, I share the opinions that it is overpriced.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    I may have an opinion counter to most. I really don't trust a car that old with mileage that low. It's not that I think the odometer reading is wrong. It's hard to tell from the small photos, but that car doesn't look any better than my 292,000 mile LXi. I have seen things on cars fail with age from non-use as well as excessive use. Regardless of how you slice it, it's a nineteen year old car from the 80's. It might be a better car than newer used cars, but I would rather buy one with appropriate mileage that has been well maintained than one that has spent most of its life sitting unused. Chances are if I bought a car like this one I would end up with a bunch of blown hoses in short order. And, yes, I share the opinions that it is overpriced.

hit the nail on the head

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

<< I'd drop 15-20 grand on a NEW 89 Accord SEI if there was such a thing >>

I bet you would. Considering they cost $18,500 in 1989, in today's dollars it's much greater.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by DBMaster View Post
    yes, i know my dad's uncle has (maybe had?) a car that had ultra-low miles because she hardly drove it and when she took it in to the mechanic for a little work, he actually told her she needs get out and just drive it because all that sitting/non-use isn't great for it.

LX User

Way overpriced, and freshly detailed, which always worries me, check out some of the before/after threads on autopia.org.

As long as those miles were fairly constant, 205 miles/month, it's probably in good shape, it's when cars sit for 2+ year with almost no running time is when things start falling apart from the inside-out.
    1989 Accord LX-I - Brembo f.Rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, ATE fluid
    1996 Mustang Cobra #404 - somewhat stock

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

It seems to me that used car dealers are creating their own market by suddenly inflating the prices of used, old Honda cars. Probably largely due to the reliability reputation that Honda products have earned throughout the years. Just like gasoline, people will be conditioned into paying high prices, and dealers will continue to get these cars for next to nothing, then turn a huge profit. Once the "old Honda" phenomenon is spent, they'll move on and create the next one.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

LX User

Um, considering it's super low miles as well as 1 year away from being a collector car, that price is relatively fair. Esp considering that probably less than 20 1989 Accords still exist with that low of miles.

It's a bargain. In fact, I will call about it tomorrow. 5spd swap= sweet for a 49k mile accord.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    81 HB LX, 84 HB S, 89 LX-i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jdmaccordnut View Post
    Um, considering it's super low miles as well as 1 year away from being a collector car, that price is relatively fair. Esp considering that probably less than 20 1989 Accords still exist with that low of miles.

It's a bargain. In fact, I will call about it tomorrow. 5spd swap= sweet for a 49k mile accord.
    A used car saleman's dream. "It's a bargain" is fantastic!!! I'd tell the people at the lot "Will you take $5000 for it. Do you know how rare it is?" I'd somehow try to verify that mileage; these cars are incredibly easy to disconnect or just replace the speedo. head. BOHICA.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jdmaccordnut View Post

I really hope youre just doing this to get a reaction out of people....its an 89 accord for shits sake...its not like its a yenko camaro....Maybe you should call him up an offer him closer to ten grand...you dont want something like only paying 4500 bucks weighing on your conscience for the rest of your life

LX User

Really, okay, so you guys disbelieve me. What is the lowest mileage 3g Accord on this site? Who owns it, and what is the milage?