Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Speed sensor difference between the years?

  1. #1
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Speed sensor difference between the years?

    When I deleted the power steering system from my car, I left the power steering speed sensor in the car. I swapped my power steering speed sensor with manual sensor with Dev's father today, and I being an idiot didn't realise the gear is slightly different. I fitted it anyway in my car anywy and seems to work fine, I have yet to check the speedo accuracy with GPS, but knowing Honda love the small changes between the years, I'm worried if there is any difference between early and later model.

    Or is that normal for the manual and power sensor are different that way?

    BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)



  2. #2
    3Geez Veteran lostforawhile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar
    Location
    nowhere GA
    Posts
    15,401

    Re: Speed sensor difference between the years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    When I deleted the power steering system from my car, I left the power steering speed sensor in the car. I swapped my power steering speed sensor with manual sensor with Dev's father today, and I being an idiot didn't realise the gear is slightly different. I fitted it anyway in my car anywy and seems to work fine, I have yet to check the speedo accuracy with GPS, but knowing Honda love the small changes between the years, I'm worried if there is any difference between early and later model.

    Or is that normal for the manual and power sensor are different that way?

    BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper
    yea honda is good at things like that, years ago i even saw a couple of usdm accords that were second gen with pop ups, there are more then a few odd ball ones out there.

  3. #3

    2oodoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A
    Location
    Georgia-lina
    Posts
    9,061

    Re: Speed sensor difference between the years?

    Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    yea honda is good at things like that, years ago i even saw a couple of usdm accords that were second gen with pop ups, there are more then a few odd ball ones out there.
    HUH, second gen accord with pop ups, this I have to see

  4. #4
    LXi User 79cord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600
    Location
    Melb, Aust.
    Posts
    808

    Re: Speed sensor difference between the years?

    [QUOTE=BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper[/QUOTE]

    Just sounds like 1980 spec. Bumpers & side trim changes came at end of '79 but floor & g-shift linkage were late '80 ... in Japan & if it was shipped & imported as a kit for assembly in Malaysia the implementation of the change might have been delayed even further.
    Aside from delays between assembly & final sale/ first registration..

    Manual steering wouldn't need a speed sensor ?!
    Though Automatics might have had different gearing to 5-speed & Honda did rearrage gearing & final-drive ratio's for '79 & the EK/EL..?

  5. #5
    2.0Si User Hazwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,846

    Re: Speed sensor difference between the years?

    Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Manual steering wouldn't need a speed sensor ?!
    Though Automatics might have had different gearing to 5-speed & Honda did rearrage gearing & final-drive ratio's for '79 & the EK/EL..?
    Sorry I meant the sensor where speedo cable plugs into.

    1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Similar Threads

  1. speed sensor
    By headbanger in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
  2. Vehicle speed sensor?
    By 86hatch in forum EFI Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM
  3. speed sensor
    By johndej in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
  4. WTB: Speed sensor
    By Bronx89lx in forum Trading Post
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 01:05 AM
  5. Speed Sensor
    By MattsAccord in forum 3geez Accords
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 04:04 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.
     
VigLink badge