Thread: My NEW old old school interior project...

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

My NEW old old school interior project...

just like many on the site, i have been hard at work on the interior of my 1gee. it has not been easy. i first started with removing the cheap looking seat covers. the front seats had been re-upholstered before with almost the same colour material. hence keeping the front seats 'rather' clean. when i got to the rear...... the fabric looked like it was covered with soot!!! it was awful. i sprayed more tuff stuff on the rear seats and let it settle.....only to realised more SOOT to surface. i then scrubbed it down till i got it to a state where it looked almost new. sadly the fabric holding the back rest of the rear seat to the bottom rail was of such inferior quality that it simply ripped. however when i tucked this portion under the seat, no one would know the difference.

as for the front, cleaning them up was far easier but upon close inspection i noticed that the rear, back rest for the front seats had lost its comfort. the foam seems to have been rather, flat. seat itself was padded recently making them nice and high but the FLAT back rest wasnt at all a good support for long term driving.

so i then took the car to for sum work at a friend of a friend's shop. i got the front seat back rests re-padded with extra lumbar support, the rear back rest's ripped fabric strip replaced, a new velour 'box stiched' fabric cover for the rear parcel shelf (speaker board) and just for a new look, a new rug (carpet) to match the exterior...hehe.....i got all this done for just under USD$60. hehe

when i found the LX rim, i also found a JDM EX-L steering wheel. it was beige in colour but was in a rather bad shape. i had the chrome trim around the horn buttons but the chrome ring around the centre hub had been faded to a really sorry state (plastic). i got the whole wheel for just under USD$8. hehe...i think with the right patience and time i could restore the wheel but for now i salvaged the centre piece stating the honda 'H' emblem with the 'power steering' stated around it. a lil simple surgery and i got the centre piece fitted to my old wheel...hehe. i didnt get around to taking pics but will do so when i get home next holidays.

just for your info, the malaysian specs had the rear armrest standard with the old 1gee. however hazwan, do feel free to jump in and correct me k?

do let me know what you think. hehe...regards to all, dev....
    life is only what you make of it...

my dad with our 81' accord...

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

MSN: [email protected]
    YM: [email protected]

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Re: My NEW old old school interior project...

Love the new look. How much did you get the rear seats reupholstered? Mind to introduce me to this shop (and having some friend of friend's friend discount?)

Is that molded or simple flat carpet? They look good, but have fun keeping it clean. And yes, all Malaysian models came with rear center arm rest.

And why is that metal piece on the driver's seat bolted outside??

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Nice effort! Looks very clean & the lighter carpet colour matches the seat cloth well

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

i too am wondering about the metal bracket. suspect it was a mistake done by the guy who did the prior reupholstery. sadly he passed away so i think it would remain a mystery. the rear seats werent reupholstered. just tidied up on the bottom which had ripped. rest is all original issue....hehe... no prob, next christmas when i get back...shouldnt be too expensive....regards. dev...

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

i too am wondering about the metal bracket. suspect it was a mistake done by the guy who did the prior reupholstery. sadly he passed away so i think it would remain a mystery. the rear seats werent reupholstered. just tidied up on the bottom which had ripped. rest is all original issue....hehe... no prob, next christmas when i get back...shouldnt be too expensive....regards. dev...

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

2ndGenGuy

Man that interior looks so clean! I love those carpets, they really look classy and luxurious! Color looks great in the car too! Those cloth seats look so comfy as well! Nice work!

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

hehe...but i bet its gonna be a total biatch to keep clean. the carpet and the seats as well....

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    81' Accord EX

hehe...but i bet its gonna be a total biatch to keep clean. the carpet and the seats as well....

Honda Accord 1981
    Mercedes 190E 1988
    Volkwagen 1200 1971

Vehicle
    '01 BMW 740i,'87 Accord,'02 Accord EX-L,'76 Datsun 280Z,'05 Subaru Legacy GT*R.I.P.*

looks great man. it makes me want to start redoing the interior on my 3gee.
    Keep it HONDA. Or at least Asian.™
    *Weber 32/36*Pacesetter Header*2.25 in. Cat Back exhaust*SE-i rear disk brakes
    B18C swap ditched, A20 to be revived
    Looking for K20/trans for ultimate swap