Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo'ed A20A3- A few questions.

LX User

Turbo'ed A20A3- A few questions.

I'm thinking about turbo'ing my Honda, its got a A20a3 engine with less than 100,000 on it, brand new rod bearins, and regular maintenance ( oil change ECT.) every 3000 miles. Its been taken care of. Now, as for a turbo, Where could I get a manifold for it? I know I'll need a waste gate, BOV, piping, intercooler, ECT. But I was wondering if a T3/T4 for a B-series honda would work decent on the A-series motor? Also, whats a good brand turbo, and something thats half way cheap. If I do this, I want to boost it 6-8 PSI, and around 200 WHP. Is this possible for under a grand? I'll have more questions later, thanks!

5.25 Memphis Mclass fronts
    6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp
    15' Memphis PR sub with ported box.

Next, head work, new exhaust(2 1/4 inch) and cam.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

Re: Turbo'ed A20A3- A few questions.

First off are you manual or auto? If your auto i dont think it will handel boost without being rebuilt well. If you are manual, you will need a good clutch setup which is going to be around $200-$350 depending on what brand you get. A turbo manifold will have to be custom made, so if you cant do it you will probably spend like $300-$500 to have one made at a shop. You can use a T3/T4 that will be fine. The basic turbo stuff like turbo, wastegate, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump you can probably get at junkyards so the cost of that can vary. then you need to tune it so the cheapest and easiest thing would be to use a BTM and a SAFC controller which will be like $200 for used ones. The price your going to spend on your setup all depends on how cheap you can find things for and if you can do the work yourself. Also if your not building up the internals of the engine do a compression test and make sure everything is working and be careful on how much boost you run 6-8psi shuld be ok if the motor is in good condition.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLe xOx BitT View Post
    First off are you manual or auto? If your auto i dont think it will handel boost without being rebuilt well. If you are manual, you will need a good clutch setup which is going to be around $200-$350 depending on what brand you get. A turbo manifold will have to be custom made, so if you cant do it you will probably spend like $300-$500 to have one made at a shop. You can use a T3/T4 that will be fine. The basic turbo stuff like turbo, wastegate, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump you can probably get at junkyards so the cost of that can vary. then you need to tune it so the cheapest and easiest thing would be to use a BTM and a SAFC controller which will be like $200 for used ones. The price your going to spend on your setup all depends on how cheap you can find things for and if you can do the work yourself. Also if your not building up the internals of the engine do a compression test and make sure everything is working and be careful on how much boost you run 6-8psi shuld be ok if the motor is in good condition.
    5 speed on the floor. The motor's compression test ran out good whenever I put it in, I've got it around here somewhere. As for a manifold, there is no manifold already made? Hmm, thats going to be expensive..

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Josh89accord View Post
    5 speed on the floor. The motor's compression test ran out good whenever I put it in, I've got it around here somewhere. As for a manifold, there is no manifold already made? Hmm, thats going to be expensive..
    Someone on the board has been trying to sell a manifold for ages. Totally blanked on his name though, I'm sure someone knows.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by codyJDM View Post
    Someone on the board has been trying to sell a manifold for ages. Totally blanked on his name though, I'm sure someone knows.
    That would be sweet. I know this is going to be expensive, but do you think I can get everything I need to do this for under 1,000 dollars?

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

That would be sweet. I know this is going to be expensive, but do you think I can get everything I need to do this for under 1,000 dollars?
    Not to be negative but it probably will be slightly over 1,000 to do it properly, reliably, and safely. You don't want to fuck up your car I'm sure lol

LX User

Ok, Well i'll have to save more then, but I appreciate the help. What I'm aiming for with this car is a total sleeper. I mean really, whos going to think an 89 accord is pushing 300+ HP?

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

good luck with 300+hp...
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

yep should be able to have a reliable and robust setup for under grand easy...

Vehicle

oh wait, an accord, and not a civic? sorry yeah that will run like 3k-10k if you do it right. lmao. sorry drunk post

Vehicle
    94 accord DX coupe , 89 LX (R.I.P) , 89 LX-i Coupe (sold)

you can get it under a grand IF 1 you have alot of good friends willing to sell you parts fir cheep, 2 can find crazy good deals, 3 are good at building and welding yourself..

good luck hitting 300+whp on 8 psi lol i think you need to do some reading in on this before you start jumping on things

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX hatchback

He probably meant 200hp since that's what his first post said.
    Lostforawhile:we have to pick on him he's CAH he spray painted himself into this corner with the accord.

LX User

Yes, I ment 200 HP... lol. And I'm thinking this is going to get expensive. My dad can weld, and I can build it , thats no problem... Just finding good, cheap parts is going to be the thing...

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

I have some of the parts cheap if you want them, and other then that just go junkyard hopping and look in ebay and craigslist. If you can build it all and you have someone that can weld the mani and all then you should be fine for about $1000 give or take depending on what you find.

Vehicle

I think a member on here Justin86 may still have most of a custom 3g turbo kit laying around, pm him and see if he will hook you up.

Also, read up at homemadeturbo.com for a while, there are tons of successful, and tons of not so successful turbo builds done over there. many of them are done on the cheap.

just remember the limitations of basic setup and you will be okay (but probably will have a hell of a time doing it for under 1000 bucks unless you have half the shit laying around already).

LX User

I have absolutely nothing for a turbo as of yet. I can get everything on ebay as a kit for it looks to be around 700 dollars. I would still need a better clutch, tuning chip, manifold and all that stuff... Plus time to do it. Heres a link to the ebay t3/t4 turbo. any good?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B16-B...mZ120317902046

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle

I have absolutely nothing for a turbo as of yet. I can get everything on ebay as a kit for it looks to be around 700 dollars. I would still need a better clutch, tuning chip, manifold and all that stuff... Plus time to do it. Heres a link to the ebay t3/t4 turbo. any good?
    that turbo will most likely literally fall apart... prolly will be okay for awhile on really low boost..
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by gfrg88 View Post
    that turbo will most likely literally fall apart... prolly will be okay for awhile on really low boost..
    Well see, this is why I ask questions. haha. I've never turbo'ed a car, so what would be a good, but yet cheap turbo?

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

yeah most of the kit can be used but thoes turbos are like the made in china stuff...it works till it breaks...i know garret turbos are good but they cost money

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

im doing mine now and justin made my manifold. yeah like everyone saying its make sure your engine is in good shape and Your going to spend over a grand easy...i wanted the cheap way at ONE POINT when i first started doing it lol i was kiding myself lol.... using decent tune and the manifold,turbo and so on atleast 1,500 Easy lol.....and one thing i said i was going to turbo 3 to 4 time since 2000 man and now im doing. the only way you going to get it done is just start doing it....thats my o2 cents bro

Rendon lxi

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

a buddy of mine ran that kit in his civic and never had any problems.

Vehicle

Well see, this is why I ask questions. haha. I've never turbo'ed a car, so what would be a good, but yet cheap turbo?
    local junkyard, look for T3 from turbo cars.. look around ebay, craigslist, homemadeturbo.com has some nice turbos once in a while.. i found a great turbonetics turbo on craigslist for $400, nice and HUGE!!
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Quote Originally Posted by codyJDM View Post
    Yep, that would be me. Not trying all that hard though, don't really care. I kinda like flossin it on my living room table. It's a quick way to tell if whoever just came over knows anything about cars or fabrication, at least..

I'm also going to make another manifold for my own car, as soon as I get enough time off from work. It'll either be something unusual or another bottom mount twinscroll, probably with dual wastegates.

Guess I should have cleaned the duct tape off before taking the pic..left over from backpurging

Last edited by Accordtheory; 11-07-2008 at 04:07 PM.

SEi User
    Vehicle
    87 hatch, stock sleeve b series gsr clone..

Don't mean to piss on your parade, but the answer is an emphatic no. hondata S300 + obd1 ecu +wideband + injectors + walbro pump, you're already over a grand, and that's just for the electronics. (and that's without knock control, too.)

LX User

Hmm, well I was just wondering how much this bad ass setup would cost... Guess I'll just gain parts little by little.

6x9 Memphis PR Rears
    Street Edge amp