Thread: Building a new engine (for boosting it later... again)

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI // 450cc blue top injectors // MSD BTM 5462 // SAFC

Building a new engine (for boosting it later... again)

Hey guys,

I`am trying to get a new engine built, well actually, I`m working on having my car rebuilt. The paint is pretty damaged and the engine is not doing very well. I´ve been hearing a weird sound on the engine and I believe the gearbox is severily damaged too. Anyways, I would like some advise on getting my new engine build, cause I´m planning to boost it, again, later. I`ve read a lot about forged pistons, flywheels, connecting rods and all of that.

My questions for now are
    1) Does anybody have the spreadsheet for a forged pistons order? I would like to keep eveything almost the same as the A20 (compression rate, piston size, etc)

2) Are the b18c connecting rods the same size as the ones for the A20? I´ve read in the forums they are, just wanted to confirm.

3) Which one is better? Aasco or clutchnet flywheel?

4) The goal is to reach 200hp with just the BTM and the SAFC. Will that be possible? Or would you guys recommend getting a civic OBD1 chipped if planning to go around 10-15 psi?

Thanks

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation

Re: Building a new engine (for boosting it later... again)

Ill have to see if i can find some order info for my diamond pistons, they are stock profile for the most part, except they are bigger bore and smaller skirted i believe and the wrist pin size, but the compression and pin heights dont change, plus Ron at diamond is an awesome guy.

No B18C rods dont fit. Youll need B18A/B rods... B18A/B rods are the same in every aspect to stock A20 rods except for wrist pin diameter

im not really sure what the differences are with the flywheels, i have an aasco unit and i was told they are uber hard to come by these days.

200hp with a btm and safc is doable but your better off going obd1 because after you buy and install/fuck around with the btm and safc you could have had the much greater flexibility of the obd1, ESP if your planning on going for higher boost (over 10-11 psi) i would highly highly reccomend the obd1. Dont forget to upgrade injectors and fuel pump as well
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LXI // 450cc blue top injectors // MSD BTM 5462 // SAFC

Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    Ill have to see if i can find some order info for my diamond pistons, they are stock profile for the most part, except they are bigger bore and smaller skirted i believe and the wrist pin size, but the compression and pin heights dont change, plus Ron at diamond is an awesome guy.

No B18C rods dont fit. Youll need B18A/B rods... B18A/B rods are the same in every aspect to stock A20 rods except for wrist pin diameter

im not really sure what the differences are with the flywheels, i have an aasco unit and i was told they are uber hard to come by these days.

200hp with a btm and safc is doable but your better off going obd1 because after you buy and install/fuck around with the btm and safc you could have had the much greater flexibility of the obd1, ESP if your planning on going for higher boost (over 10-11 psi) i would highly highly reccomend the obd1. Dont forget to upgrade injectors and fuel pump as well
    Thanks man. That's what I needed. If you could find the order for your pistons that'll be great.

So B18A/B rods huh? I believe I could look for them in some places around here and once I get them, I'll base the wrist pins on what they have.

I currently have a btm and a safc, disconnected, since the turbo got damaged and got to take it off.

As for the flywheel, I'll see what I can get, assco or clutchnet, but either one should do just fine.

I was planning going OBD1 once the engine has been rebuilt so I could achieve more than 10psi.

I got a walbro 255lph fuel pump and DSM 450cc blue top injectors, and I agree with you that I'll probably have to get some 660cc ones if planning to go over 10psi.

The main goal is to get 10psi with the new setup. Then move to OBD1 and see what happens after that

Thanks again
    Last edited by lui0046; 05-11-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Vehicle

660s are good to like 350-400whp at least so youll have plenty. Ill have to check on the order numbers though.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Good info guys.

So do you NOT need the BTM if you go obd1/chipped?
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 87roach View Post
    Good info guys.

So do you NOT need the BTM if you go obd1/chipped?
    correct

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

Damn, guess I'll be selling that then.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

LX User
    Vehicle
    2008 Honda Fit, 1993 Ford Mustang, 1989 Accord LX

I'm stupid and curious on learning, but what does BTM and SAFC stand for?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

BTM=Boost Timing Modular(something like that) it just retards timing a set degree per psi of boost.

SAFC=Air Fuel Controller, its a simple and extremely basic way to control the fuel going into ur motor.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle

both are piggyback computers, and by the time you bought and installed them, youd be way better off going obd1. I started off with them and now im obd1.

Vehicle
    1986 honda accord LX

im in the same boat im going to be doind an engine rebuild and possibly turboing it later i just want a daily driver with a little more pep. i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as for engine internal components and i dont want to go crazy. i was looking at the eagle h connecting rods and dont want/ or think i need to spend 100$ a rod. so like i said just looking for some advice on a parts list. P.S. i plan on getting a b18/16 intake mani and portmatching it to the head along with a port and polish and slightly oversized pistons. i wanted to try to keep it to like 500$ for parts