Thread: Speed sensor difference between the years?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Speed sensor difference between the years?

When I deleted the power steering system from my car, I left the power steering speed sensor in the car. I swapped my power steering speed sensor with manual sensor with Dev's father today, and I being an idiot didn't realise the gear is slightly different. I fitted it anyway in my car anywy and seems to work fine, I have yet to check the speedo accuracy with GPS, but knowing Honda love the small changes between the years, I'm worried if there is any difference between early and later model.

Or is that normal for the manual and power sensor are different that way?

BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Re: Speed sensor difference between the years?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    When I deleted the power steering system from my car, I left the power steering speed sensor in the car. I swapped my power steering speed sensor with manual sensor with Dev's father today, and I being an idiot didn't realise the gear is slightly different. I fitted it anyway in my car anywy and seems to work fine, I have yet to check the speedo accuracy with GPS, but knowing Honda love the small changes between the years, I'm worried if there is any difference between early and later model.

Or is that normal for the manual and power sensor are different that way?

BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper
    yea honda is good at things like that, years ago i even saw a couple of usdm accords that were second gen with pop ups, there are more then a few odd ball ones out there.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    yea honda is good at things like that, years ago i even saw a couple of usdm accords that were second gen with pop ups, there are more then a few odd ball ones out there.
    HUH, second gen accord with pop ups, this I have to see

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

[QUOTE=BTW Dev's car is weird. Manufactured in 1981 but has early style (lower) middle hump & cluster. But! with later model exterior trim pieces and bumper[/QUOTE]

Just sounds like 1980 spec. Bumpers & side trim changes came at end of '79 but floor & g-shift linkage were late '80 ... in Japan & if it was shipped & imported as a kit for assembly in Malaysia the implementation of the change might have been delayed even further.
    Aside from delays between assembly & final sale/ first registration..

Manual steering wouldn't need a speed sensor ?!
    Though Automatics might have had different gearing to 5-speed & Honda did rearrage gearing & final-drive ratio's for '79 & the EK/EL..?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Manual steering wouldn't need a speed sensor ?!
    Though Automatics might have had different gearing to 5-speed & Honda did rearrage gearing & final-drive ratio's for '79 & the EK/EL..?
    Sorry I meant the sensor where speedo cable plugs into.

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)