Thread: Tyre size

Vehicle
    1985 Accord 1.8 EX Automatic

Tyre size

Hello all!

I hope this hasn't been asked before - I did have a check, but I couldn't find anything about
    it.

I'm a little confused as to the correct tyres size for my car. At the moment, it's on it's original tyres, which are Michelin 165 SR 13. Now, reading the little tyre pressure sticker on the driver's door, it should apparently have 185/70 SR 13 tyres on it, which is rather odd. This tallies with HiQ's tyre finding service, which says I should have 185/70 R 13 H tyres fitted.

Why, then, is the car fitted with 165 SR 13 tyres? To complicate matters further, I can find only a very few 185 section tyres, and I don't know what aspect ration to look for on the 165 section tyres. I do hope that, if you've made it this far, you're still following all this! I'm not sure I am.

I guess what would really help is if you guys could tell me what size tyres you have on your cars. Any other advice would also be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Tyre size

The aspect ration will be 100 on the 165s. The car probably has them because they are a lot cheaper.

I'd go with the 185s. They are wider and will give you better traction. My 1976 Accord came from the factory with 155SR13s which were very tall and very narrow. Over time, Honda figured out that they weren't very good for traction and the width crept up. I seem to remember my Mom's 1981 Accord having 165s and my 1982 Accord having 175/70s.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    1983 Accord DX Hondamatic Sedan

John, My 1983 1.6 SY engined 2G saloon came fitted with Michelin 165SR13 (unused original still in boot) Roadrunner tyres at Forton found the nearest current Michelin is 165/80/13 which I replaced the original 4 tyres with, as although they still had 4.5 mm of tread left and passed the MOT, a brisk run caused the sidewalls to crack. I would assume Honda fitted skinnies as standard back in the day, as most purchasers already had one clog in the grave, so performance tyres would be a waste of good rubber!!!
    Have you checked your handbook, the one I have for a 1984 2 1/2G States:
    165SR13 tyres fitted, *185/70SR13 Optional for European and Australian types. So the original purchaser was being tight fisted. John.
    Last edited by accord83; 10-26-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by accord83 View Post
    So the original purchaser was being tight fisted
    ...sounds about right! Thanks for the advice guys. I'd better get on with it - it rained heavily here yesterday (a month's rain fell yesterday in the Lakes, about 30 miles from where I live), and I hate the idea that I might lose control of such an unsullied beauty in the wet and end up in a hedge!

John.
    Last edited by John Sweeney; 10-26-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Vehicle

I have new tyres! I'm afraid that they're not the greatest quality, but I am a very poor student at the moment so they'll have to do. Still £100 for four, fitted and balanced is not bad at all!

I had the oil and filter changed as well (this was also done in June, about 2000 miles ago). I've flushed and replaced the coolant and changed the thermostat, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the rotor arm and the contacts in the distributor cap, and replaced the air filter. Finally, I've waxed the car all over. Very nice it looks, too. Is there anything else I should do while I'm at it?

John.

2ndGenGuy

While you're doing maintenance, flush out that transmission! Honda automatics can be very finicky, but they will love you forever with good fluid. It's often an overlooked chore in the realm of regular maintenance. I'd bet that car might even have the original fluid in it.

Maybe inspect your brake pads and ball joints too? Just another suggestion while going over your car... Sounds like you are on top of the maintenance thing though, keep it up and that car will last another 25 years.

Glad you got new tires too, nice to have even if they're cheap. Safer than an old set. Just for reference, my 84 had 185/70 R13s on it stock.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Just for reference, my 84 had 185/70 R13s on it stock.
    Was that a standard thing for the American market, or was your car's first owner a generous person with their money?! In the end, I just fitted the 165/80 T 13 tyres.

Thanks for the advice about the transmission fluid - I'd forgotten that. I'll probably leave that to my friendly local mechanic. He knows what he's doing!

John.

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

Kind of repeating whats already been said... standard 2g tyre size in the UK is 165SR13. The upgrade is 185/70R13's, it transforms the handling & road holding. My 2.5g had just had new 165 tyres before I bought it, so it'll be a whilst before I upgrade to the bigger size - they are pretty rare here though. I've got to really make sure I drive carefully as it wallows round bends - not what I'm used to.

Make sure your mechanic uses Hondamatic transmission fluid if you're gonna drain & change it. I did mine last year. Don't forget the fuel filter either!!