Thread: Stalling when warming up

DX User

Question Stalling when warming up

Heres one I don't know anything about. My car runs pretty good until it starts to get warmed up. Then, when I have to press the clutch to stop, it may or may not shut off. I am simply tripping out over the whole randomness of it all. Sometimes it runs like a champ, then sometimes it fumbles, farts and dies. I'm tempted at times to deliver the Coup De Grace with my Glock 17 on this little car.

But hey, I love the car, so I guess I'll keep it for now. Got way too much time invested to give up now, but I would love to know why my car keeps shutting off like it does. Got any ideas.....for the car, that is.

James

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Re: Stalling when warming up

Its been a long time, but I believe I had a problem like that caused by a vacuum line that came off....

I can't help you with which one because that was before I said to hell with the dealer.
    Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
    2004 RSX Type S
    1989 Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl
    Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Vehicle
    1980 Porsche 928

Re: Stalling when warming up

Quote Originally Posted by lackej1971
    Heres one I don't know anything about. My car runs pretty good until it starts to get warmed up. Then, when I have to press the clutch to stop, it may or may not shut off. I am simply tripping out over the whole randomness of it all. Sometimes it runs like a champ, then sometimes it fumbles, farts and dies. I'm tempted at times to deliver the Coup De Grace with my Glock 17 on this little car.
    But hey, I love the car, so I guess I'll keep it for now. Got way too much time invested to give up now, but I would love to know why my car keeps shutting off like it does. Got any ideas.....for the car, that is.
    James

sounds like you might have some intermittent carb problem,, dirt in carburator idle circuit...remove idle solenoid, spray som,e carb cleaner in passage, careful not to loose the little o-ring.. if you can blow some compressed air in passage as well... if it starts runing better, you need to overhaul the carbur,,,,,,,

DX User

Question Re: Stalling when warming up

I've been having a similar problem with my 88 Accord DX (153 K mi) since last Thursday. It just started dying suddenly just as soon as the engine came up to running temperature. I suspected the carb, checked the choke, primary idle solenoid, etc. Everything was OK there. However, I found out (by hooking up a timing light), that the ignition system totally cuts-out as soon as my temp gauge needle reaches the 1/3 mark. Every time. Replaced the coil, but that wasn't the cure. The car runs perfectly until it just stops. Could be something similar on your car. I haven't found the fix yet, but you might verify spark the next time this happens.

Pat