Thread: The pursuit of perfect fog lights

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

The pursuit of perfect fog lights

I have been searching for who knows how long just to find a set of simple, rectangular, yellow fog lights. Still not a damn thing. Who out there has a nice fitting set outside of OEM?(If they existed anywhere I would have them by now )

Any pictures or recommendations? Post 'em up guys.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Re: The pursuit of perfect fog lights

mine were oldschool kmart ones they looked hella good on the car... just keep seraching ebay and your find some mine were 10shipped

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Accord View Post
    mine were oldschool kmart ones they looked hella good on the car... just keep seraching ebay and your find some mine were 10shipped
    What were you searching on ebay? I seriously cant find anything non-rice or non-retarded in general lol.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

was just browsing used fogs old fogs new old stock things like that.. also u can get some yellow ones from napa and ask Twhonza (SP) were he got his from

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Found a good set for an EF, they are like 4x6 which should be perfect for down there.

45$ shipped, can't complain

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

good shit

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Shweet. Better show us how it turns out. I'm looking for some foggies too.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

some one used some 3rd gen prelude lights...they kinda look like ours

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

The OEM Honda of America fog lights were BOSCH Pilot 150

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Thanks to the help of lxacc I just bought myself these perfect fog lights Thanks again man!!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

yeah they look good, simular to the oem ones

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    yeah they look good, simular to the oem ones
    Indeed, thats what I was goin' for

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by codyJDM View Post
    Thanks to the help of lxacc I just bought myself these perfect fog lights Thanks again man!!

haha yea dude your welcome... i hope i'll come across some like that again. Look forward to seeing your set up with em though! I would've grabbed em but i dont have the time or material to create my own bracket for em.

You better damn well take pics of how you set the whole thing up! Show us how you make, or where you get brackets for em. Or if I'm the only one interested in that aspect just PM how you set em up to me!

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by LxAcc510 View Post
    haha yea dude your welcome... i hope i'll come across some like that again. Look forward to seeing your set up with em though! I would've grabbed em but i dont have the time or material to create my own bracket for em.

You better damn well take pics of how you set the whole thing up! Show us how you make, or where you get brackets for em. Or if I'm the only one interested in that aspect just PM how you set em up to me!
    Of course, I'll post pics of how I do everything. For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM

Time to scavenge the JY!

Vehicle
    '04 Forester 2.5XT

...uhhh PICS NOW XCODYX

Vehicle
    SE-i Sedan 5 spd

<< For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO NO NANETTE!! The parking lights, and a bunch of other lights go through fuse 14 (at least in my '89), which is 15 amps. I suspect your fogs are 55 watt bulbs, which is (2*55 watts)/12v=9 amps. This does not leave much for everything else, and as a bonus, you might cook your headlight switch.

You need to wire in a separate circuit with a relay. You get the control voltage from the parking light circuit, then run a 10 or 12 gauge wire (with a 15 amp inline fuse) from the battery, through the relay, to the fog lights. The relay functions like an automated switch, with the low power (the voltage in the parking light circuit) causing the relay to close, which directs the high power from the battery circuit to the lights.

Especially don't mess with the circuits that go through the headlight switch. It might not fail immediately, but the switch is the weak point. Our cars do not have headlight circuit relays, so everything goes through the switch.

You might want to consider putting in a separate control switch for the fogs, rather than having them come on with the parking lights. I'd love to be able to flash other cars sometimes, but because of the retractable headlights, it's a chore. That knockout in the dash by the cruise control switch is where the OEM fog light switch goes. I bought one from a member here, or you can get them on eBay. If you did it this way, you might be able to run the battery circuit right through the OEM fog light switch to the fog lights. I don't off hand know what the rating of the switch is, but I would imagine the OEM lights were 55 watts, so it should be OK. If you use another switch, just make sure it's rated at a mimimum of 15 amps. I'd also go with the 10 gauge wire, because there's more length involved.
    Last edited by w261w261; 11-24-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by w261w261 View Post
    << For now I guess I'll have to wire them to my parking lights cause I wont use any switch other than OEM >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO NO NANETTE!! The parking lights, and a bunch of other lights go through fuse 14 (at least in my '89), which is 15 amps. I suspect your fogs are 55 watt bulbs, which is (2*55 watts)/12v=9 amps. This does not leave much for everything else, and as a bonus, you might cook your headlight switch.

You need to wire in a separate circuit with a relay. You get the control voltage from the parking light circuit, then run a 10 or 12 gauge wire (with a 15 amp inline fuse) from the battery, through the relay, to the fog lights. The relay functions like an automated switch, with the low power (the voltage in the parking light circuit) causing the relay to close, which directs the high power from the battery circuit to the lights.

Especially don't mess with the circuits that go through the headlight switch. It might not fail immediately, but the switch is the weak point. Our cars do not have headlight circuit relays, so everything goes through the switch.

You might want to consider putting in a separate control switch for the fogs, rather than having them come on with the parking lights. I'd love to be able to flash other cars sometimes, but because of the retractable headlights, it's a chore. That knockout in the dash by the cruise control switch is where the OEM fog light switch goes. I bought one from a member here, or you can get them on eBay. If you did it this way, you might be able to run the battery circuit right through the OEM fog light switch to the fog lights. I don't off hand know what the rating of the switch is, but I would imagine the OEM lights were 55 watts, so it should be OK. If you use another switch, just make sure it's rated at a mimimum of 15 amps. I'd also go with the 10 gauge wire, because there's more length involved.
    Don't worry, I will be using a relay along with appropriate gauge wiring. I will more than likely have the OEM switch by the time they get here due to the fact that the JY is right down the road from me

Thanks for the words of wisdom though.

lol that took a whole two mins..

cant wait to see them bro!
    one day I'll return.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX

where they at cody? haha