Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The JDM B20A 2g Thread w/ Pics!!

Accord of the Year - 2009

Vehicle
    Accord 2.0i-16 '87 - Accord Aerodeck EXi '89

Re: The JDM B20A 2g Thread w/ Pics!!

Yay for ancient technology I thought it was like the 2nd gen prelude which I'm certain use one tank for carb and another for Fuel injection.

Link to my 3geez garage
    • Accord 2.0i-16 '87 B20A2 DOHC 16v
    • Accord Aerodeck EXi '89 Exclusive Edition

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Cool project!

It looks to me like the return goes in to the plate of the sending unit (37800-SD7-974) which is exclusive to the 85 SE-i. Be sure to grab that as well.

Tank shouldn't need baffles with an externally mounted pump.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Good call on that plate! That will save me from drilling or tapping any holes.

I'm going to run the VSS wire, since I'm sure I'll eventually need it for OBD-I or something. I'm assuming.

And the low-speed rev limiter is sweet! It's like GT-R style launch control!

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    And the low-speed rev limiter is sweet! It's like GT-R style launch control!

you friggin ricer

Nice find at the junkyard...I miss having a car that I can actually go to the JY for,,,

cant wait to see this thing done.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I probably should have mentioned this awhile ago, but when I was back home in November, I hit up my favourite J/Y and found an 87 Prelude Si. Got everything. I also managed to get a drivers side inside door lock, and a passenger side mirror.

Anyways, I'm interested to see how the pressure line is run inside the cab for 2G EFI, I plan on buying a roll of fuel hardline and simulating the factory installation, with proper flares, brackets and everything. Having a shitty connection or a line vibrating and wearing a hole in itself, with 30 PSI gas spraying everywhere isn't something I'm interested in. Gonna need some firewall grommets as well, and a good way of securing the 3rd line to the car. I've already scrounged the 3g EFI fuel filter assy, 2 stage A20A3 intake manifold, BT1 engine harness and ECU.

I need 2x short side Se-i Accord axles, I can't seem to find them anywhere in Canada. John?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle

I should be able to get you the short side axles. I'd have to probably pick them up reman'd from NAPA if that's allright. The SEi at the yard was just pure luck. I found it while I was scrounging parts out of an LX. Looked up and was like "oooh snap!" First time ever seeing one up close.

My plan for now is to not run the equal length halfshafts until I've got all the bugs worked out. I have a feeling we'll need to somehow shorten the mid-shaft.

Also, I do need to get your engine packaged up, but I can't do that until I get mine out of the crate. I'm going to work on that this weekend. At least get my B20A set up in my car, then reuse the crate materials. I gotta see who will ship it, and if I can ship it without building sides on it. That will definitely save me some time. If I can't get it ready for shipping by this weekend, maybe next weekend.

Vehicle

Fuck. I went to the yard today. I spent like 4 hours pulling the dash, gauges, steering column, and then the place closed. I got the power mirrors which they fuckin reamed me for. I don't think I want to pull the fuel lines or that ECU.

That engine has about 40 different vacuum lines on it with sensors in the black box. I don't see any point pulling out the whole harness, when I have a harness that actually fits the engine. The modifications are going to be the same regardless of which harness I use. I can't use the SEi computer with the electronic ignition. So, I dunno.

Also the fuel lines, there's really nothing fancy about them. They both run up right next to eachother in the same places. The line in the base model and the LX is the same line in the SEi, except that line is used as the return back to the tank. And there is just another line run up along next to it as the main pressure line. It winds up along the firewall inside the cabin behind fuckin' EVERYTHING that I just spent 10 hours pulling and reinstalling. Then it comes out the firewall near the heater core outlets. It just doesn't quite seem worth it to me to pull all that hard line out and then reinstall it all in my car. But then again, I'm just irritated that I ran out of time at the yard. I don't want to go back again next weekend. The car is so fucking gross, mold everywhere and some fuck dumped the ash tray all over the car.

I feel like I spent 5 hours there just to pull a pair of electric mirrors, which I don't have a control switch for, and got nothing else out of the car. Grr. Back to work anyways.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-17-2009 at 05:29 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I know exactly what you mean, you put that effort in with a weak payoff, you really dont want to muck with the muck. There would be no point in having the oem harness , really no difference as long as you have what you need already. Neatness is about the only reason and hell if you do a wire tuck and have to add wire anyway what is the point it is going to be custom wire job geesh.
    Sounds like you may want the tank hardware though but not neccesarliy the tank itself. Return lines and nipples or whatchamacallitz

Vehicle

Yeah, I had a hard time staying focused on what I wanted when I was there, too. I think when I go back, I'm going to grab the top of the tank, and the remote fuel door release. Then I'm done. I just wanna get going on this. Eventually, I don't want to run this ECU anyways, going to Megasquirt or some other option that I can do myself.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Sounds like a good plan

Vehicle

Got the ES all disconnected from everything tonight. The carb is off, the header, the wiring, cables, linkage and everything is out of the engine bay. All I gotta do in the morning is drain the fluids (too cold to go get the drain pan tonight) and unbolt the motor and out she comes. Should have the B20A in by tomorrow night. At least mounted up.

Trying to figure out what to do with all that good stuff. I've got a good starter, good alternator, the header I'll have no use for, the alloy flywheel, carb adapter plates.... Maybe I should save it for a future project. The 38 will definitely go on the hatch after I replace the secondary, vacuum-powered accelerator pump...
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 01-17-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I uses my starter on the B20. Alternator you can use too , just swap the regulator that has the extra pin.
    flywheel, send it to me with the 38 heh heh
    I procrastinated a few weeks just over taking out the good running motor, low and behold I still aint got the car on the road yet. Good thing I have the other 3rd gen to get my 3geez jones on.

That header you may can use the downpipe for it if you get the header part. Mine would fit perfectly on the hedman but I dont want to butcher up a good DC A20 header.

Vehicle

Well the problem is that the ES and the A20 won't swap those parts. So I don't think they'll swap from the ES to the B20A.

Nice sig by the way

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Do you have all the electric windows and stuff in your car? swapping the harnesses would make the swapping these things easier.

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

Vehicle

Yeah, it's power everything. The only thing I'd be adding in would be the mirrors. The remote gas door release is cable operated, so no biggie there. I'll just make a seperate harness for the mirrors, so I don't have to hack up my harness. The driver's side power mirror is in pretty bad shape anyways and I have no idea if it will work. So making a harness outside the car and testing it out first will be the way to go. Probably going to have to snag a 3gee mirror control.

Vehicle

Man I was hoping I'd at least have time to pull the ES and mock up the B20A. Turns out I was WAY wrong. The crate that Alex and Aaron built was built out of materials never before seen to mankind. Humongous nails that are as big as railroad spikes. It took me like 4 hours to tear to box down. I had to pull about 40 nails (literally) out of the wood. Good work building the box, it was damn sturdy.

Then after tearing the box down, I still had to figure out how to get the engine off the crate bottom. I had to rip this welded steel frame holding up the left side of the engine out, and it was also nailed down with some big-ass nails. You can see all the nails that I had to pull out...

So anyways. The next big task was actually getting it from the crate to the garage. The main problem is that my driveway is gravel. And the engine hoist will not roll on gravel. At first I backed the trailer up right to the crate. I thought I'd hang the crane out over the engine and just lift it up. But with the wheels in the trailer, there was no way to get the crane to stick out of the trailer far enough.

So I disassembled the hoist again. And laid some plywood out on the ground. Then had to jack up the box, since the hoist wheels wouldn't go under the box. Then I shoved some 2x4s under that, and some more plywood underneath. Then I finally managed to do a 400 point turn around until it was aimed towards the trailer. Then backed the trailer up underneath the engine.

Then came time to crate up Mike's engine before it got dark. So I cut the pallet in half, and recut all the wood and made a new mini-crate.

Then unloaded my in the garage and gave it a new home for the week, until I can get some actual car work done next weekend.

Vehicle
    ???? ????? ???? ?? ???

holy shit, they should build houses!

Can't Wait to see a B20 in your car
    2004-2011?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

x2 man. cant wait.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Yeah this wasn't very exciting, I know, but it took all day... :-(

Vehicle
    2012 Civic si, old bikes.

well look at it this way...if there's ever a nuclear war, you can use the box as a bomb shelter

cant wait to see this come together...

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Yeah this wasn't very exciting, I know, but it took all day... :-(
    I so know how that goes.... you get mad when time runs out and you feel it should no way have taken that long to accomplish.
    Anyway, that first picture of the nails is quite interesting, I was not sure what I was looking until I read the line.. now still it looks like they are poles washed up on the beach.
    Looking at the pics of your tackle there, ha, I would have taken the hoist off the platform and used some wood, washers and lag bolts... remove the decklid from the civic and bolt the crane part inside the trunk. like a mini wrecker.. yes I am crazy like that,
    just make sure the boom goes out enough so the load does not swing back into the car.. ehh

Vehicle

Oh man I love the mini-wrecker idea. It would be sweet to hook up a load and just tow it home that way. A fold out boom would be awesome. Civic would be the ultimate repo-mobile!!

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

lovely work on the bocks turk. we had to build it tough, you know what the shipping company dickheads are like with their forklifts etc .. rough as guts

looking forward to seeing the b20a in the 2g

Vehicle

Pulled out the ES today:

Ripped everything out of the engine bay:

Dropped in the B20A:

And here's how the mounts are, still needs work to get it the right way.

The left side mount needs to be flipped over, for some reason the bolt holes from the ES to the B20A are reversed...

The front mount lines right up, so I didn't get pics, but the one on the back it a bit high, and seems to cause the engine to sag. I think it's because it's a 2g Prelude bracket, instead of the 3g Accord one. The 3g Accord bracket should fix the problem. And probably why some of you have engines sitting a bit goofy in the engine bay...

And under the car, the engine just needs to be shifted over a bit...

So yeah... it's sorta in. Tomorrow, I'm going to make all the mounts fit up proper. Then start hooking everything else up.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

SWEET!!!! damn, thats going to be one hell of a sleeper once its done!! What's the plan for it as far as mods go??
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST