Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: diy rod bearing change

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

Re: diy rod bearing change

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I'm not sure how tight things are, but you should be able to pick up something from the junkyard for less than $10. You'd also be able to replace any bolts that got broken.

If that's too much, I'm happy to swing by the junkyard for you, but you'd have to wait until next weekend. I can't get there with any daylight during the week. PM me if interested.

I'd also hold off on that bearing job until you get the mount squared away. It's not likely, but it might be the noise you've been hearing. At least it might just make it bearable until things turn up for you. Honestly, you can drive on that engine for a long time like that. I drove for hundreds of miles with a bad bearing, burned valve and bad rings. That was an A20, but the A18 is probably not too different. Try limping it if you can. Put some motor honey in there and roll on. You don't need something to go wrong while you're changing bearings and end up spending a lot of money that you don't have right now.

If you do the bearings, go with the cheapest you can get. It's not going to matter if this is a disposable engine, right? You just need to get by for now.

Sorry for the long post.
    dr.. you are amazing.. literally.. but you dont have to get the mount for me.. ill see if i can get some money somewhere haha.. thanks for the info doc
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed
    364,XXX and counting :]

Vehicle
    1987 Lx-i sedan auto (totalled), 1989 Lx-i coupe 5spd (sold), 1988 Lx-i 4 Door 5-speed

great news guys.. i got the bearings today.. so im going to let my car cool off over night and get to fixing it tomorrow.. i saw the stamps on the journals on my spare block sitting in my garage.. its 1.2.3.4 huh? thats what i saw.. and the 1 and 2nd journals have an F on it is this what im looking for?
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Not really sure. Keep doing your research I never actaully done bearings on any Honda motors and I know less about the A18. The chart with the manual is the best bet.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

will the oil pan from the a20a3 fit on the a18a1? i noticed a big dent from where my cv blew out and i dont wanna run it like that
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Yes, the oil pans are compatible if not identical.

If you want you can download a PDF Prelude manual from here:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Svc...l%20Manual.pdf

I'll warn you now it's nearly 90MB so it will take awhile. Pages 80-81 describe the bearing setup. The procedure is the same for the A18 and A20.

Incidentally, when I rebuilt my engine I used Toga HP bearings, which are a high performance tri-metal bearing (supposedly). Anyway they only come in one size so when I assembled the crank and rods I checked the clearances with plastigage. They all came out well within the normal spec. So I think as long as your crank isn't massively worn you'll be fine.

C|

Vehicle

today is the worst dam day ever.. i changed the rod bearings and it still knocks like hell.. what can it be?? this is really ticking me off

EDIT: talked to a mechanic friend this morning and he suspects it to be the mains.. what do you guys think?
    Last edited by 1987AccordLx-i; 12-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Yes, the oil pans are compatible if not identical.

If you want you can download a PDF Prelude manual from here:

http://bluegreenlabs.com/Prelude/Svc...l%20Manual.pdf

I'll warn you now it's nearly 90MB so it will take awhile. Pages 80-81 describe the bearing setup. The procedure is the same for the A18 and A20.

Incidentally, when I rebuilt my engine I used Toga HP bearings, which are a high performance tri-metal bearing (supposedly). Anyway they only come in one size so when I assembled the crank and rods I checked the clearances with plastigage. They all came out well within the normal spec. So I think as long as your crank isn't massively worn you'll be fine.

C|
    I was wondering about the togas..

1987AccordLx-i

How bad did the bearings you take out look? and what did the rods journels look like ?

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I was wondering about the togas..

1987AccordLx-i

How bad did the bearings you take out look? and what did the rods journels look like ?

wp
    well.. the bearings were worn pretty good.. but the crank had virtually no signs of wear or anything of that sort.. i checked it and felt for grooves, crank was good.. but would you think its the mains?
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 1987AccordLx-i View Post
    today is the worst dam day ever.. i changed the rod bearings and it still knocks like hell.. what can it be?? this is really ticking me off

EDIT: talked to a mechanic friend this morning and he suspects it to be the mains.. what do you guys think?
    It could be mains. It could be wrist pins. It could be piston slap. You won't know for sure until you pull it apart.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this has all the hallmarks of something that's going to end badly. You're trying to fiddle and fart away a very big repair. The very best you can hope for is to spend a chunk of money and a lot of time and still have an engine that needs to be replaced. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless the knocking is so loud that potential employers can hear it when you drive up, your time would be better spent looking for work.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    It could be mains. It could be wrist pins. It could be piston slap. You won't know for sure until you pull it apart.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but this has all the hallmarks of something that's going to end badly. You're trying to fiddle and fart away a very big repair. The very best you can hope for is to spend a chunk of money and a lot of time and still have an engine that needs to be replaced. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Unless the knocking is so loud that potential employers can hear it when you drive up, your time would be better spent looking for work.
    hmm my mechanic friend told me that piston slap is out of the question but mains or wrist pins might be an option.. will mains from my a20a3 fit the a18a1? i have my a20 block in my garage and im willing to get the mains out of that one to prolong the motor just a little bit longer.. but if i have to ill run the motor like this til i get it fixed
    Last edited by 1987AccordLx-i; 12-10-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle

The A18 and A20 use the same bearings, so yes you can swap them.

If you have the time I suppose it might be worthwhile to try the mains, but I wouldn't hold my breath that that's the problem. If it is the wrist pins though there won't be much you can do anyway without more serious work. So if swapping the mains doesn't fix it I would just put in 20W50 oil, load it up with thickeners, and run it until it dies.

C|

Vehicle

The A18 and A20 use the same bearings, so yes you can swap them.

If you have the time I suppose it might be worthwhile to try the mains, but I wouldn't hold my breath that that's the problem. If it is the wrist pins though there won't be much you can do anyway without more serious work. So if swapping the mains doesn't fix it I would just put in 20W50 oil, load it up with thickeners, and run it until it dies.

C|
    wow.. so everything is interchangeable right? same motor just different cc's

and i have the pistons to my a20 also.. so it worst comes to worst i can use the wrist pins an rods from the a20a3 on the a18 piston.. is that plausible? or are the wrist pins different for the two?
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle

wow.. so everything is interchangeable right? same motor just different cc's

and i have the pistons to my a20 also.. so it worst comes to worst i can use the wrist pins an rods from the a20a3 on the a18 piston.. is that plausible? or are the wrist pins different for the two?

The A20 is really just an A18 with a larger bore and a different head. But many of the head parts are interchangeable too. So yeah, you could use the A20 rods and pins as well. If the problem is in the pin area though it's most likely the piston itself is worn, because it's aluminum and the pins are steel. The only way you'll know is to pull the pistons out. It might suck to get them back in if you don't have ring compressor though.

C|

Vehicle

The A20 is really just an A18 with a larger bore and a different head. But many of the head parts are interchangeable too. So yeah, you could use the A20 rods and pins as well. If the problem is in the pin area though it's most likely the piston itself is worn, because it's aluminum and the pins are steel. The only way you'll know is to pull the pistons out. It might suck to get them back in if you don't have ring compressor though.

C|
    ill probably just reuse my rods.. just get a set of pistons from the scrap yard when i get some money.. but yeah the knocking is betting louder and it doesnt sound like its rod bearings or mains.. it sounds like its where the head is at but its too much to be piston slap
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Don't suppose you could get a video of the noise could you?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Are you sure it's not a valve problem then? Pop the valve cover off and take a look.

C|

Vehicle

well dr.. i could try to get a vid up soon.. i just gotta find my camera.. and Cl i highly doubt its valves.. its too much of a clunk noise to be valves
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle

bad news guys... motor went out before i could get the vid up... sounds like one of the pistons shattered inside the block.. i have no options but to sell my 3g.. its sad to say but i just cant afford to keep up with the fucken bug in the motor.. so im selling my 3g.. ill ask for 500 for it as is.. let me know if anyones interested
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Take the head off and see what happened for us it can go into the wiki.

Sorry it turned out bad.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Take the head off and see what happened for us it can go into the wiki.

Sorry it turned out bad.

wp
    well she still runs but it feels like shes running on 3 cylinders.. and theres a nonstop rattling.. but i want to keep it together and see if i can get more for it.. i would take the head off and see what caused the mayhem but i want to see if anyone would take it like that.. im positive that all it needs is internals.. i found a vid of a d16 blown up on youtube and mine sounds louder then this guys.. heres the vid to give you guys a rough description on how its running as of now.. my cam is no where to be found so i cant put a vid up =/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-tNS...eature=related
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Best you could do is disable that cylinder. Either pull the rod and piston out the bottom if possible or out the top and leave it running on 3. The condition of the plug will tell which is bad.

wp
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Best you could do is disable that cylinder. Either pull the rod and piston out the bottom if possible or out the top and leave it running on 3. The condition of the plug will tell which is bad.

wp
    of course! the plug test! genius! ill try that sometime today.. its raining cats and dogs here and theres no room for shelter...

but did you get a chance go check out the vid? its not my car but mine sounds way louder then that one
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle
    88 accord hb dx

off topic problem.. my front engine mount bracket just busted on me so the whole motor is jumping when i give it gas.. anyone got an exhaust side engine mount that is willing to give it up? i dont have a job and i really need my car to find work.. and i dont want my motor to be flopping around.. it scares me.. if anyone is willing to give it up and your in the alhambra/la area ill even pick it up.. i really need this mount.. stupid auto shop didnt put in all the bolts for it and the torque snapped it clear off
    1/2 off everything sale at pick-a-part on jan 1st!! www.pickapartauto.com
    ...If you're ever confused about anything in life... it probably has something to do with money$...

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rfiks View Post
    1/2 off everything sale at pick-a-part on jan 1st!! www.pickapartauto.com
    pick a part? dude your in cali?
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed

Vehicle

ok guys.. took the head off the block.. looks like the crank is broken b/t number 2 and 3 cylinders.. ill have the vid up in a lil while.. gotta upload it.. but if you guys have myspace.. look me up and ill have a folder with the pictures i took of the teardown
    -Tom

1988 4 Door Lx-i 5-speed