Thread: Brake pedal help

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX, '87(?) LX-i

Brake pedal help

This one is fairly urgent, seeing as how a turn in the weather has turned everyday driving into ice-racing up here. Basically, whenever I apply the brakes in my car, I have to depress the pedal about 50% of the distance to the floor before I get any brake response. After that my brakes kick in OK (but unfortunately I have to do my rear brakes soon, which should be OODLES of fun in -20 celsius in an unheated garage). I'm wondering what could cause the sponginess of my pedal. The only reason this matters to me is i want quicker braking times (almost hit a stray cat). Is it anything simple as i hope, like tightening a few bolts or something?

The car - '88 LX Carb, rear drums, 100% stock

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Brake pedal help

Moisture in old brake fluid might be the culprit here. Try removing as much fluid out of the MC and putting in new brake fluid for a quick fix.

The rear brakes may need to be adjusted is all. They dictate the pedal height and feel. You can cheat a little and run with the E brake up a few clicks to take up the distance for a temporary fix. The shoes must be very very close to the drum to be correctly adjusted. Just so you can barely slide the drum on.

wp
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX, '87(?) LX-i

if its the rear brakes that dictate it, then I know what it is. I've gotta do my shoes right away, so thats probably it. How long should doing the brake shoes take? its the first time i will have worked on drum brakes.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Being your first time I'd count on a couple hours probably. I did mine in about a hour with some help from one of the mechanics here at work.
    Make sure your adjusters are freed up and the teeth are not stripped off them. I need to replace mine with some from the j/y I need to free up.
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord DX Hatch

Just curious, does anybody else have an issue with the ass end of these cars being so light (say if you have absolutely nothing in the car) where, say if it's raining or something, it's REALLY REALLY easy to lock up those back wheels? Winter is gonna be FUN! Maybe there's air in your lines shenaniganas? Although the travel time for the shoes to hit the drums sounds more likely if your shoes are worn. I hate drum brakes.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by l75eya View Post
    Just curious, does anybody else have an issue with the ass end of these cars being so light (say if you have absolutely nothing in the car) where, say if it's raining or something, it's REALLY REALLY easy to lock up those back wheels? Winter is gonna be FUN! Maybe there's air in your lines shenaniganas? Although the travel time for the shoes to hit the drums sounds more likely if your shoes are worn. I hate drum brakes.
    I have rear disc brakes and I didn't change the front brakes over so it locks up even worse.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

once i was testing my rear disks and i pulled up the e break and my rear started to lock up...with minimal effort

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned