Thread: Is obd-o turbo possible?

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i/'85 Toyota Supra

Is obd-o turbo possible?

Hey guys, I was searching around and couldn't really find a for sure answer. I wanted to know if I can go turbo and stay obd-0? I know if I swap over to obd-1 I can have way more tunability, but I'm not looking to beat any big HP numbers. I just want to have something that's a bit more fun and different. I'm going to do a stock rebuild and stay automatic. The most I would go is 4-5psi. with a T3 internally WG turbo. I found out that Mosselman still makes a log manifold for the A20A with a T3 flange. I've already got a Walbro pump, Venom fuel inj. and B&M FPR. I thought about going with a Gude head package, but I might just do a good P&P.

So if it's possible, please let me know what else I would need. I'm going to be starting to gather things up after I do my taxes. I would love to be boosted by the end of the year.
    '87 accord lx-I sedan: Koni adj, struts, Progress sport springs, ST sway bars, spec. prod. camber kits, dc strut bar, msd blaster 2 coil, ngk plugs and Ractive 9mm wires. Erebuni bodykit and Wings West trunk spoiler.

Vehicle
    86lxi hatch auto 87lxi hatch auto 88 lxi hatch 5-speed 96 sedanex 5-speed 88 carb coupe 88 sedan carb

Re: Is obd-o turbo possible?

someone else on here did it and got nothing but flamed for not running any sort of managment. So yeah it's possible but if you want it to last any amount time you'd better go odb1

"Weight is relative to power like time is relative to speed"

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Prelude 2.0Si-T

sweet bro!! nice to see another turbo build here in so cal!! Yeah, you can run obd-0 and turbo. Not the best thing but you can do it. Let me know if you ever need any parts, or help on the car.
    -Gio
    My E85 Turbo Build
    5280FEST

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

if you are going to do that, get a belt driven supercharger like they use on mini coopers, change to a downdraft webber and you'll probably get better performance. it's been done with webbers like that since there have been webbers

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LX 5-speed, 1995 BMW 525i 5-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Demon1024 View Post
    someone else on here did it and got nothing but flamed for not running any sort of managment. So yeah it's possible but if you want it to last any amount time you'd better go odb1
    He was flamed because he didn't run an intercooler or anything. He just slapped a turbo onto a stock block. All he did was change the headgasket and injectors.
    Sam

1989 Accord LX: Sold with 208k-now somewhere around 230k with new owner

Current:
    2014 Elantra Sport 6MT
    2000 Montero Sport 4x4 (beater, trail rig)

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX

and he said he unplugged the map sensor to get more fuel to it.
    88 DX hatch.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ACE_14 View Post
    Hey guys, I was searching around and couldn't really find a for sure answer. I wanted to know if I can go turbo and stay obd-0? I know if I swap over to obd-1 I can have way more tunability, but I'm not looking to beat any big HP numbers. I just want to have something that's a bit more fun and different. I'm going to do a stock rebuild and stay automatic. The most I would go is 4-5psi. with a T3 internally WG turbo. I found out that Mosselman still makes a log manifold for the A20A with a T3 flange. I've already got a Walbro pump, Venom fuel inj. and B&M FPR. I thought about going with a Gude head package, but I might just do a good P&P.

So if it's possible, please let me know what else I would need. I'm going to be starting to gather things up after I do my taxes. I would love to be boosted by the end of the year.
    Don't mess with the automatic. You're probably going to loose a good deal of what you gain with the auto and it's likely going to start shifting retarded with the revs... if you don't toast it first.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Im a proven point its been done but not only me but a few others. You need to run a MSD BTM, Apexi SAFC, 450cc Bluetop,255cc in tank.oil line kit turnertoys.com has em,I would suggest a half size radiator off a civic to give you more room,fpr the stock would work better, and your t3 is perfect. i got a t25 its small but im pushing 8psi no problem and runs perfect. im doing obd1 for more tunning. But Also if you auto your not going to boost right. if you where supercharged then yeah but Turbo no, you going to end up toasting your trans. together i spend little over 1,500 for the kit.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i

It can definatly be done. Like rendon said you just need a SAFC and a BTM. I have both if your looking for some, i just have to find the SAFC controller.

Vehicle
    Stock 86 Accord LXi Hatch

Like they already explained, its very doable, but won't be a super flexible setup, and won't be able to properly accommodate when you decide that 4-5psi doesn't cut it, and you want to run 15. ;-)

88turboaccord ran like 20+ psi with bad management, although he did have his fair share of issues keeping the car on the road.

The worst part is that the timing control is just such an ugly brute force hack, which is fine for reliability, but poor for an efficient tune. You just have to retard the shit out of your timing with the BTM.

I also agree that you will want to do a 5-speed swap before starting the installation of your turbo setup (but don't let that keep you from gathering parts!).

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett View Post
    Like they already explained, its very doable, but won't be a super flexible setup, and won't be able to properly accommodate when you decide that 4-5psi doesn't cut it, and you want to run 15. ;-)

88turboaccord ran like 20+ psi with bad management, although he did have his fair share of issues keeping the car on the road.

The worst part is that the timing control is just such an ugly brute force hack, which is fine for reliability, but poor for an efficient tune. You just have to retard the shit out of your timing with the BTM.

I also agree that you will want to do a 5-speed swap before starting the installation of your turbo setup (but don't let that keep you from gathering parts!).
    as far as the timing you can get msd boxes that change the timing based on boost pressure.

when i ran my hack i started with a auto tranny. the only thing that sucked was getting off the line and it took forever to get to full boost.
    I started with a t-3 mounted on a log manifold set at 8 psi, stock injectors, a 1:1 fpr, stock fuel pump, a BTM and a check valve t'd to the map sensor.

i liked the setup and it ran great, but it would have been better with a higher stall on the converter.
    i did the tranny swap and the car seemed to rev faster and pull harder, and it was crazy off the line.
    i guess it all depends on what you want.

I know a hack is a hack but i do not share the bad reviews as other's would post.
    Mine was what i wanted, ran how i wanted, function able and reliable.

I am sure it is obvious when i out grew the little setup things had to change by going stand alone and a barrage of other up grades.

just remember the money you spend on the hack will just about equal what you would spend on a obd1 swap.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    as far as the timing you can get msd boxes that change the timing based on boost pressure.
    no shit??? like an msd btm? its still a hack compared to computer controlled timing. its a blanket fix and not a 'good' fix. but its good enough to keep most people from blowing up their engines really fast

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 89turbo'ed View Post
    just remember the money you spend on the hack will just about equal what you would spend on a obd1 swap.
    its true. if you start adding up SAFC/BTM etc etc, it becomes dangerously cost effective to do an OBD-I swap or even megasquirt if you roll that way.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Prelude

I want to know how you figure Mosselman still makes he log manifold. I called them a few years back(in Germany and USA distributors) and they had no recollection of any manifold for our cars. I've only seen like 2 cars with that manifold. Also even if you can get that manifold it is way out of date, you would probably pay the same to have a nice equal length manifold made....

Vehicle
    88 Accord DX

get a badass twisted ram manifold made.
    88 DX hatch.

LX User
    Vehicle
    '87 Accord LX-i/'85 Toyota Supra

I e-mailed Mosselman less than a month ago and they told me they still had them. It's $225 for it. The guy even posted up pics of the manifold on their site so I could confirm that it's for the A20A engine. This manifold will meet my needs better that building one from scratch.
    '87 accord lx-I sedan: Koni adj, struts, Progress sport springs, ST sway bars, spec. prod. camber kits, dc strut bar, msd blaster 2 coil, ngk plugs and Ractive 9mm wires. Erebuni bodykit and Wings West trunk spoiler.

Vehicle

Who did you call that confirmed a Mosselman log for $225?

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

damn that really cheap. Im good with mine thou.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Dur, nevermind you just emailed them... I just called every US dealer and they don't have any. One guy from California is going to check a few contacts and call me back, but otherwise its not looking good.

However if you emailed them directly and they are willing to ship, that may be a different story.

DX User

What kind of power were the fellas who did the setup in this post making?