Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: '78 Accord Hatchback . . yes!

Vehicle
    1981 HONDA ACCORD 4dr

Re: '78 Accord Hatchback . . yes!

Wow I've seen people swap inner or outer barrels and faces on 3 piece wheels to compromise or change wheel width/offset, but never mount the face on the opposite side of the barrel it was designed for!! I know the sets of 3piece wheels I've had (including my volks on my 1g) ,the face have a step on one side to mount and center the barrels. Is the front and back of the bbs face machined and stepped to mount it either way? Doesn't look correct or safe to me?. . . . . . . . . .I'll check on my springs for you today so you can drop that thing!

it is the way 3-piece BBS are designed . . they work both ways

look here:
    http://www.bbs-racing-wheels.com/sei...m.txt/e68e.htm
    Centre section can be made for mounting behind or ahead of the rims.
    or for pictures here:
    http://www.bbs-racing-wheels.com/sei....txt/e30ve.htm

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i

I like the design of the wheels, but I hope you have a plan for the suspension because that does not look good IMO. I would also stick the wider tires up front seeing as how the car is FWD and it would help with handling.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68 View Post
    I like the design of the wheels, but I hope you have a plan for the suspension because that does not look good IMO.
    on the pictures, the car is completely jacked up (I didn't wanna put it on the ground, because the original honda wheel-nuts don't really fit with the rims) . . . . so don't judge on that . .

My plan is to lower it . . but that's a different story . .

Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68 View Post
    I would also stick the wider tires up front seeing as how the car is FWD and it would help with handling.
    yes and no . . yes it is a FWD car . . but remember it has 80hp and hondamatic . . so traction and handling are of little concern . . especially since I'm gonna fit the same size tire on the front and the rear rims . . so the wider rims are staying on the rear axle . . for the look . .

Vehicle
    1981 HONDA ACCORD 4dr

thats dope ive never seen a face on a 3piece wheel that can be mounted on the inner or outer part of the wheel!!! i have to agree with the other guy about putting the wider wheels on the front.. regardless of the power and trans the car is still an FF chassis.. (ff cars actually look pretty good with the reverse stagger.. not to mention its functional) your probably going to have to keep the rear of the car higher than the front to accomadate the wide low off-set wheels giving it "hotrod" look on a fwd?? is that the look your going for? IMO def stay away from that look, its a fwd honda!!! put the wider bigger lip wheels on the front, stretch some 13" tires, and dump it all the way around =) !!!!!!

I'm not sure what do do yet . . I too, do think it looks cooler with with the wide wheels in the front . . but . . the "wider" wheels do have clearence issues on the front axle (hitting the strut) . . so I would need to run "small" spacers . . which would get em even further out . . . they fit with no problem on the rear

that's how it looks when the wide ones sitting on the rear axle . . (btw. the wide wheels do have less (!!) lip . . )

as you can see . . lowering is limited . . since I don't want to modify the body . .

and as I said . . I'm gonna run the same size tires all way round (just will have more stretch on the wide . . logically) . . .

"sigh" . . so much to think about
    Last edited by Boogieman; 01-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Yikes! Mad wheels, hope the stretched tyres let them fit without looking absurd.
    Car still looks great!

I should check my spare windows... I think I was even given some from a '77 (un-tinted) & some 81's about. But shipping from Australia would have to be absurd. Have you tried some of the guys at http://nipponklassik.de/, or perhaps http://www.hondayoungtimer.de/f17--b-Suche--b-.html?

Recently made up a tool to do my valve stem seals too & must post up... once I refind my camera!
    Last edited by 79cord; 01-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Vehicle
    1981 HONDA ACCORD 4dr

looks like your gonna have to run fender flares or do some custom mods to the suspension to run alot of negative camber to get those under the body!!.... almost look like rwd offset, what kind of car did the seller have them on?

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Yikes! Mad wheels, hope the stretched tyres let them fit without looking absurd.
    Car still looks great!

I should check my spare windows... I think I was even given some from a '77 (un-tinted) & some 81's about. But shipping from Australia would have to be absurd. Have you tried some of the guys at http://nipponklassik.de/, or perhaps http://www.hondayoungtimer.de/f17--b-Suche--b-.html?

Recently made up a tool to do my valve stem seals too & must post up... once I refind my camera!
    yeah I'm in contact with most old-jap-car forums in Europe . . we'll see . . could you quote me shipping anyway? . . would be interesting to see what it would cost . .

Quote Originally Posted by 81vintyminty View Post
    looks like your gonna have to run fender flares or do some custom mods to the suspension to run alot of negative camber to get those under the body!!.... almost look like rwd offset, what kind of car did the seller have them on?
    I'm not gonna touch the body . . it's in too good of a condition to mess with it . . in worst case I'm just gonna lower it less than I would want to . . so the wheels stay away from the body . .

The previous owner bought them along other stuff . . thinking they were 4x100 . . he doesn't know what car they were off . . but I'm sure they're off a FWD car . . there are 2 wide wheels with high offset (small dish . .) and 2 less wide wheels with low offset (big dish) . . . and the wide ones were mounted on the front axle (at lest someone wrote "front left" and "front right" on the tires . .)

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Sexy! that color looks beautful on the 1g

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi hatchback--white with maroon

Awesome find--Looks great

Vehicle
    79´Accord,83´Lude,71´Nova coupe,83´Pontiac 6000,69 Mustang coupe,and many more rusted crap...

Cool Re: '78 Accord Hatchback . . yes!

Oh boy,nice shoes! They look awesome in your accord. Y dropped a set of 205/55 15 in my 1G and they look great but it was a headache to get them to work.
    I had to do 3 things:

1:Mounted stiffer springs in the back
    2:Cutting the rear fender
    3:Fender skirts

The stiffer springs is because the rear has softer suspension and every bump on the road makes the tire to touch the fender,but this is´nt enough to avoid this,so i had to cut the rear fender there is no problem in the front with tire hitting the fender. The fender skirt is because the wheels dropped water over the car during rains and it´s anoying to have to wash the car after every rain/mud ride.

Here pics of the wheels in the car.

The rear wheel out of the fender

Front wheel without skirt

With skirt

I think you should drop the wider wheels in the back,they look best this way,and if you dont want to cut this pristine body just change the rear springs for stiffer ones and everything will work just fine.

I hope this helps.
    So many reasons why
    I won't be sending postcards
    From Paraguay

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

dunno how i missed this thread, looks pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by 1GCustomAccord View Post

I hope this helps.
    Yikes!! . . sorry but this looks horrible! IMHO!

but everybody as they like . . . where did you get harder springs for your Accord? . . I'm looking for a set of lowering springs or a set of original ones (so I can cut the ones installed right now without worrying that I want to "undo" it again later . .)
    Last edited by Boogieman; 06-28-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Any updates on the wheels?!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

Vehicle
    72 145s my dad has the million k 87 lx

what he said^^

well . . . I had a quick go with some polish . . and they turned out great I think . .

right: before, left: after

I finally found a drivers door window in belgium ( "happy" . . . ) that's sorted now . . I'm still searching for a set of fitting wheel-nuts . . but actually I have and had some other (non Honda) car projects to finish . . . so the Accord has to wait right now . .
    Last edited by Boogieman; 07-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.

looking pretty nice . . I think . . .

still waiting for the tires . . will be 195/45R13 in the front . . and 175/55R15 on the rear axle

sitting nicely next to a 15" BBS MAHLE rim from a set I just bought . . (I don't know why . . I don't have a car right now where those will fit . .)
    Last edited by Boogieman; 07-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.

choose 165/55R13 for the rear axle . . now where did I hide my grinder?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Looking good. Grinder to cut off the springs?

And for some reason, the last thing I expected to see in Switzerland was a full size Dodge van. Same body style as the Tradesman my dad had when I was growing up.

165/80s were stock on my 1gee at least. So you're running stock width back there. Quite a bit lower profile tire though, I will say.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 07-21-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Still looking good!
    Makes me want a blue one.
    But I don't deserve it untill I get the white '77 sorted.

Wonder if the lower profile & gearing will make the hondamatic feel any perkier?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    And for some reason, the last thing I expected to see in Switzerland was a full size Dodge van. Same body style as the Tradesman my dad had when I was growing up.
    there are quite a few full size Dodges here . . the Swiss fire departments used to have those . . most of em with the newer body style though . . haven't seen one like mine in a long time . .

. . well . . I just like 70's cars . . I do have this '74 B300 Tradesman (36'000 original km's . . thanks to almost no fires I guess ) . . I use it to tow my boat . . I think it's awesome . . a '74 BMW 525 . . and a '72 BMW 3.0s called bavaria in the US ( but I guess BMW's don't belong here . . ) . . and the Accord of course

Vehicle
    1977 Honda Accord

Awesom looking car. Sweet! I'm looking for some rims myself. I guess their easier to find in europe. (I live there too)

You have to lower that car, even though the BBS looks wicked, it would be soooo much nicer with a little dropp.

well 4x120 are a PITA pretty much everywhere . . I guess it would be easiest to find a set in Japan or down under . . just because there are a lot of old japanese cars . .
    I found those by mistake to be honest . . . the guy wanted to sell them for ages . . but since 4x120 is so rare, he couldn't find someone who wanted them . . until I came along . .

right now I'm still hesitating to cut the springs . . just because they're too soft as well . . if I lower it by cutting the springs, I can't get as low as I want to just because the tires will rub on the arches as soon as I hit a little bump . . I need harder springs in the same diameter .. .