Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '78 Accord Hatchback . . yes!

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Re: '78 Accord Hatchback . . yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    well 4x120 are a PITA pretty much everywhere . . I guess it would be easiest to find a set in Japan or down under . . just because there are a lot of old japanese cars . .
    Not many available here, only a few that were sold as dealer accessories unless you have some 70's Mazda wheels machined to fit (offset is wrong).

That's why I upgraded my car to suit the more common 4x100 pattern (so I was very tempted by some Watanabe wheels on Ebay last week).

Vehicle
    1981 HONDA ACCORD 4dr

been a while, cars lookin good.. i see we have similar taste in wheels =)wheels look awesome cant wait for the pics with it dropped!! quite a bit of body/wheel gap you got though with those lower profile tires. still think you should run a stretched narrower higher profile tire to fill that gap with and youll have less coils to cut saving your ride (well what ride you have left on cut springs =x they would be easier to tuck under the body with such a wide 13' wheel too(youd be suprised how much sidewall height you knock out when stretching a tire)... never the less cant wait for the new pics of her dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Not many available here, only a few that were sold as dealer accessories unless you have some 70's Mazda wheels machined to fit (offset is wrong).
    wrong offset . . I guess the offset of my wheel is as wrong as somehow possible . . there isn't a tire narrow enough to make the rear wheels tuck anywhere . . unless i pull the rear fenders and I really don't wanna do that . .

I found a guy who makes custom springs, so I ordered a set of the hardest springs he can make in this dimension . . because of the extensive wheel travel with the soft stock springs lowering is limited to just a inch (otherwise the wheels will hit the arches at every tiny bump . .) . . and that's just not gonna cut it . . so with the hard springs a bit more lowering should be possible . .

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Cutting the springs increases the spring rate... So that should stiffen up the ride a bit... Or did you already try this?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Cutting the springs increases the spring rate... So that should stiffen up the ride a bit...
    . . how on earth should cutting the springs increase the spring rate??? . . cutting the spring doesn't do anything to the spring rate . .

or am I missing something here??

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

It does increase spring rate. Because there is now less spring to give.

Think about it this way. If you have 5 coils, and each coil compresses 1 inch with the weight of the car on it, that's 5 inches of total compression. Now cut out a coil so you only have 4. Now your springs will only compress 4 inches. Same weight on the spring, but less compression is going to be stiffer. Yeah the car will be lower, but the spring will compress less, making it stiffer.

Or think about if you're holding a car spring in your hand and you move your hands up and down. The spring doesn't really move does it? But imagine if you made it 20 feet long, and moved it up and down in your hand, the other end of the spring would be all floppy and wobbly and seem really soft. But it's the same material, so it's not softer, but there's more flexibility in a longer spring, than a shorter one.

hmm . . . interesting . . kinda makes sense . . never thought of it that way . .

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 honda accord

dude, lose the rims asap. they are awful. sorry, maybe it's cuz i'm a yankee, but those are no bueno.
    Last edited by mopuddin; 01-03-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: add on