Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The TRUTH about Tokico's (and more)...

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Re: The TRUTH about Tokico's (and more)...

Has anyone tried changing damping fluid viscosities, or modifying the porting of any of these dampers? I know it's fairly common practice on mountain bikes, and me being a machinist...

I guess I'm lucky I bought the Koni's for my 2g when I did.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

very common on motorcycles also. all it really does is allow more force or slower rebound and dampening I believe.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

bump for the new guys looking to lower their cars....
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

Mark you ever find out about those struts? Or any other setups. Ive got some money to blow on a new suspension setup now lol.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    Mark you ever find out about those struts? Or any other setups. Ive got some money to blow on a new suspension setup now lol.
    Hey Luke, yeah I did look into it, and sorry for not upgrading this thread with the feedback from the fabricator, but we both came to the conclusion that it's not a very feasible solution for us. Can it be done? Yes, but after researching it further, I feared that it could start changing the geometry a little too much for a one-size-fits-all solution.

But, I do have another idea I'm working on. A number of months ago, I spoke with a very reputable suspension company, and got good feedback from them. I had to get them all of the specs on our oem setup with dimensions, weights, etc, which I admittedly dragged my feet on. However, just yesterday I called back and spoke with them again regarding this. ...and this morning I sent over the first half of my specs with pics and will provide them more detail later tonight (I forgot to take a few measurements). I'm really worried about our ultra short shock body up front and fear they may not have a shock body that'll work for us, but I'll never know until I ask right.

The price for those will be a bit more than the K's or D2's, but as soon as you hear the brand (which I'll obviously share as soon as I get a concrete answer of whether or not they can do this for us), I assure you you'll be willing to start saving a few more pennies to pay up for the much better brand.

Updates will be upon us soon...
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by mushroom_toy View Post
    Hey Luke, yeah I did look into it, and sorry for not upgrading this thread with the feedback from the fabricator, but we both came to the conclusion that it's not a very feasible solution for us. Can it be done? Yes, but after researching it further, I feared that it could start changing the geometry a little too much for a one-size-fits-all solution.

But, I do have another idea I'm working on. A number of months ago, I spoke with a very reputable suspension company, and got good feedback from them. I had to get them all of the specs on our oem setup with dimensions, weights, etc, which I admittedly dragged my feet on. However, just yesterday I called back and spoke with them again regarding this. ...and this morning I sent over the first half of my specs with pics and will provide them more detail later tonight (I forgot to take a few measurements). I'm really worried about our ultra short shock body up front and fear they may not have a shock body that'll work for us, but I'll never know until I ask right.

The price for those will be a bit more than the K's or D2's, but as soon as you hear the brand (which I'll obviously share as soon as I get a concrete answer of whether or not they can do this for us), I assure you you'll be willing to start saving a few more pennies to pay up for the much better brand.

Updates will be upon us soon...
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

In for brand name. I'm guessing its someone well known, and maybe someone you've dealt with before
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

I just put the Tokico's shocks with Tokico springs on the latest coupe I bought in Dec 09. I'm content with the set up. I don't drive it like a crazed demon like most of the kids on this forum.

There is no bounce (over speed bumps) or hard braking, cornering seems good (I don't take corners at high rates of speed).

Now if you are a agressive driver, this set up would probably not work well for you.

Just my experience thus far with the set up. Well see how long it last.

Now the Bilstein HDs I put on the sedan is a stiff ride. I wouldn't recommend a drop with the HDs.
    Last edited by nswst8; 02-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Phil

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

it's well known no doubt. ...but, aside from past conversations re this same project, I haven't dealt with them directly before. And although they do not dyno each and every shock before they ship them, they do have much tighter standards by which they manufacture them, so the valving differences from one to the other 'should' be much better. However, I have confirmed they do have a shock dyno in-house, and even if I have to pay extra for it, I intend to request they dyno all 4 shocks before they ship them.

...that's making the huge (and maybe over-ambitious) assumption that they may be able to piece something together for us. Fingers crossed.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

Does anyone know the spring rate on the Goldlines,I want to put them on the sei when i get her on the road.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    it's well known no doubt. ...but, aside from past conversations re this same project, I haven't dealt with them directly before. And although they do not dyno each and every shock before they ship them, they do have much tighter standards by which they manufacture them, so the valving differences from one to the other 'should' be much better. However, I have confirmed they do have a shock dyno in-house, and even if I have to pay extra for it, I intend to request they dyno all 4 shocks before they ship them.

...that's making the huge (and maybe over-ambitious) assumption that they may be able to piece something together for us. Fingers crossed.
    If I'm correct in my assumption (And i'm pretty sure i am) D2/Ksport pieced us together a kit from Legend_master's legwork. Whatever company you are dealing with should be able to do the same.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

There have been other companys that did not want to seperate (piece together) sets for us. And yes guys I would for sure wait to get this brand over Ksports/D2. It would definitely be worth the wait and the difference in money for the brand and quality, but I think we will need to have some support from other members in order to convince these guys Mark. I will be one of the first to order these if it needs to be done. I will eventually need to raise my car again in order to pass emissions so I hope these come faster than I expect them to.

-dan

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX-i-1991 Toyota Pickup

Eh Im really not willing to spend over $800. I may just keep the setup I have and buy a new camera with that $800....if Im not gonna get anything better I may just keep what I have. What ive been hearing is the ksports and d2s for us at least are pretty crappy so idk. I was gonna buy the Ksports....but dont wanna end up with something thats comparable to what I have. What I have is good and unless theres a huge jump in quality I mighy just keep what I have.
    1986 Honda Accord Lx-i

~~NGK~~Silvania~~MSD~~Pioneer~~MSW~~Bosch~~DC Sports~~
    115WHP 116WTQ

From my understanding Ksport used to be crappy overall but they have really become a much better company and the quality of their products has become much better as well. But yeah if this comes through with Mark we will have some quality parts.

Thanks for doing this mark!

-dan

Vehicle
    Laurel Blue '89 LXi Sedan

Has anyone looked into using the Koni strut cartridge with our strut housing?

http://www.classicgarage.com/86-2216.html

From the info I've seen online you cut the top off the original strut and pull out the guts, then jam in the Koni cartridge and put a nut on a bolt that sticks through the bottom of your original strut housing to hold it in.

LX User

Quote Originally Posted by Bones View Post
    Has anyone looked into using the Koni strut cartridge with our strut housing?

http://www.classicgarage.com/86-2216.html

From the info I've seen online you cut the top off the original strut and pull out the guts, then jam in the Koni cartridge and put a nut on a bolt that sticks through the bottom of your original strut housing to hold it in.
    Alot of subaru impreza guys use the koni cartridge/OEM body, never heard a complaint...
    1989 Accord LX-I - Brembo f.Rotors, Hawk HP+ pads, ATE fluid
    1996 Mustang Cobra #404 - somewhat stock

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Yeah I've got these on my 82, they work great.

Here's how I did it: https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68579
    Last edited by Ichiban; 03-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

And the cool part about doing it, you can pull out the cartridge and weld coilover sleeves onto the body and cut off your old spring perches. That's my plan anyways. Assuming I can find steel sleeves.

Those cartridges may or may not work in the 3g bodies. They are a slip fit, and you can't have them moving around inside the strut bodies. At least, it seems like a terrible idea. If the ID of your stock strut bodies are the same as the OD of those koni's though, you should be good to go, depending on length. I'm sure there are a variety of Koni cartridges out there, and I bet there is one that will fit.
    Last edited by 2ndGenGuy; 03-06-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    And the cool part about doing it, you can pull out the cartridge and weld coilover sleeves onto the body and cut off your old spring perches. That's my plan anyways. Assuming I can find steel sleeves.

Those cartridges may or may not work in the 3g bodies. They are a slip fit, and you can't have them moving around inside the strut bodies. At least, it seems like a terrible idea. If the ID of your stock strut bodies are the same as the OD of those koni's though, you should be good to go, depending on length. I'm sure there are a variety of Koni cartridges out there, and I bet there is one that will fit.
    Seems like it would be a worthy investment for someone to find an OEM strut and chop it up. Length shouldn't be a huge issue i don't think.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    89 LXi Sedan (sold) - Car free now, with hella bikes

someone make me some frankenstein koni rears dammit

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Seems like it would be a worthy investment for someone to find an OEM strut and chop it up. Length shouldn't be a huge issue i don't think.
    I have 2 sets here and a grinder...
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle

I was looking at those inserts, seems like avg price is 150 each. OUCH.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by dacantu View Post
    From my understanding Ksport used to be crappy overall but they have really become a much better company and the quality of their products has become much better as well. But yeah if this comes through with Mark we will have some quality parts.

Thanks for doing this mark!
    x214546565

the people who always bash either never used the brand of coilovers or had some of the older crappier ones.
    I say get them if u dont wanna spend 800+.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Tdurr View Post
    x214546565

the people who always bash either never used the brand of coilovers or had some of the older crappier ones.
    I say get them if u dont wanna spend 800+.
    Everybody says that. Nobody has any proof or reasoning to back up that they are any better than they used to be. It's like they one day decided "Hey let's quit making crap, even though lots of people are buying them and we're making tons of money already." I say get them if you wanna get something about as decent as eBay coilover sleeves on stock struts for $700. If they gave a shit about quality, they would have been quality from the beginning.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

What's with all the ksport hate man? I haven't had any issues with the quality and the ride is fine... Much better with 100 lbs of shit in the trunk though. I would seriously be looking for something else for my other car if I was displeased.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.