Thread: first honda with SU's?

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: first honda with SU's?

progress !!

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

i dont get why you are making a bracket for the intake manifold...studs are STRONG...the way i took out my engine was taking off the manifold and putting a chain on the intake stud and cherry picked it out....thoes carbs are not that heavy that it needs support...i can stand on my manifold and say it wont break.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    i dont get why you are making a bracket for the intake manifold...studs are STRONG...the way i took out my engine was taking off the manifold and putting a chain on the intake stud and cherry picked it out....thoes carbs are not that heavy that it needs support...i can stand on my manifold and say it wont break.
    because there is a short piece off of the head, that has the second part of the manifold attached to it, the plate that attaches the second half,is welded to the section of factory manifold. this is a LONG manifold, all that flexing is hard on the welds over time. this protects the welds.

Vehicle

this is the front piece of the manifold, it's these welds that I need to protect. they are full penetration through the plate, but this is a little extra security.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

i really think your worrying about the welds too much , if you correctly welded it in then it shouldn't be a problem.

1989 Accord Lx-i hatchback (current DD project)
    1986 Olds Cutlass 442 clone (never ending project)
    3Geez resident body man
    Owner of Wreck-less auto body

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by gp02a0083 View Post
    i really think your worrying about the welds too much , if you correctly welded it in then it shouldn't be a problem.
    I sent them up to my stepbrothers company in Atlanta, I don't have the gear here to do those, took an 800 amp tig torch to do those, the brackets are done, just some extra security.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

welds are fine....look at my paseshitters they are tack weled and they have lasted long...i love my headers...gained me 3whp and lots of top end with one simple mod...

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

ah you forgot to mention it was tig'd , or i wasn't paying attention. I havent had much time on a tig welder, i mainly use mig w/ argon and stick for the junk i don't care about. The only thing i would have suggested and it probably would be un-necessary is a bracket from the one end of the manifold to the other. I still think that as long as everything is torq'd up correctly and the welds are fine it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by gp02a0083; 06-26-2010 at 04:49 AM.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

ah you forgot to mention it was tig'd , or i wasn't paying attention. I havent had much time on a tig welder, i mainly use mig w/ argon and stick for the junk i don't care about. The only thing i would have suggested and it probably would be un-necessary is a bracket from the one end of the manifold to the other. I still think that as long as everything is torq'd up correctly and the welds are fine it shouldn't be a problem.
    I originally was going to run a bracket from left to right across the bottom of the manifold, but I can't due to clearance issues, so I ended up with a rod end linkage on one side, and a solid steel bracket on the other, it all fits though. the other thing that concerns me, is on the datsun manifold, there are stud holes on the top, but the bottom uses washers to hold the manifold to the head, in it's original form, the exhaust manifold would be siamesed to the intake,with a heat shield in between. think early civic. the plate welded to the factory piece of the manifold has studs on it now, and special heavy aluminum washers hold the bottom of the datsun manifold to it. I may change to steel later.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

yah id switch to the steel ones, they probably wont give you any issues , the aluminum will have a different expansion coeff.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

yah id switch to the steel ones, they probably wont give you any issues , the aluminum will have a different expansion coeff.
    well it's aluminum on aluminum, there's a plate tig welded to the piece of factory manifold with studs on it, it's the gasket surface for the Datsun manifold. so everything should have the same expansion rate.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

ah i was under the assumption that it was steel

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

ah i was under the assumption that it was steel
    it' s aluminum i'm supposed to be having a pair of 69 z carbs that are in good shape coming, they will bolt right up, same linkage and everything

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

69's huh, pretty rare , if i remember right the Z's 240z ran from 70-73, with the 69 432's

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

69's huh, pretty rare , if i remember right the Z's 240z ran from 70-73, with the 69 432's
    it may be a 70, they introduced the new models in 69 as 70's, it's hard to tell them apart anyway, one of the main things are the shape of the domes, and how many screws hold on the dome, they are definitely very early from what I can tell, and they don't have any of the emissions that caused so many problems later on.
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 06-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Lx-i Hatchback

even if its from a "true" 69 its still considered a 70 because of the production date. I think Nissan (datsun at the time) introduced the model well after the 1st quarter of the calender year.

3Geez resident body man

Vehicle

even if its from a "true" 69 its still considered a 70 because of the production date. I think Nissan (datsun at the time) introduced the model well after the 1st quarter of the calender year.
    I just hope they are in as good of a shape as they say, it's a lot easier to get usdm datsun carb parts, then the jdm parts

Vehicle

I had found a Datsun original air cleaner base and THOUGHT it would match my carbs, wrong!! I wanted the factory velocity stacks and mounting bases off of it, it turns out after all this work the holes didn't line up, I fixed that, but more on that in a few minutes, I have no idea what they made this air cleaner out of, but it's just sheet metal right? again wrong, I don't know if they hardened it, or it's still radioactive from WW2, but I'm having a horrible time cutting the stuff, it cuts strange, machines strange, and welds strange, It might be 409 stainless, it looks like regular steel. whatever it is, it's some tough stuff,

this is what I started with,

and then removed the parts I wanted

after a lot of cutting, and grinding, sanding, cussing, etc, I ended up with two of these, since the holes don't line up, I'll turn then 90 degrees on the base plates, before welding them on, then they will get the mounting holes, and piston air passage holes drilled.

and I end up with one of these, there are a lot more then a single weld, I just had to add one after it was blasted

these were the original velocity stacks I had made

this is how I formed the screen

I'll be going into this in much more detail, I still have one more of these bastards to make. I will take a lot more pictures of all the steps during the next one
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 03-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.