Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: first honda with SU's?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

first honda with SU's?

Ok it's mocked up, my air cleaners won't fit, they hit the dammed heater core hose on one side,and the brake booster on the other ,so back to the drawing board on the air cleaners,lots of work in those too. pisses me off. the manifold supports won't fit down in the engine,those were a guess anyway so no big deal to change. few hoses will have to be moved around. the main issue i'm having is the drivers side fuel bowl is too close to the master cyl. i'm trying to figure out if the piece of metal on the side of the mc is just extra casting. going to look at some more tomorrow to see if there is a different casting available. if someone has a junk one,with the same casting, can you please send it to me? i really need to cut it in half to see if i can just grind that off. still a long way to go,i have to figure out where to put the fuel pressure regulator, and lots of hoses to hook up. i need a shield over the alternator,i really don't like having a bottom drain fuel bowl over the alternator, so going to make some sort of shield or catch for the fuel bowl.

Vehicle

Re: first honda with SU's?

if someone has pictures of the side of their master cyl it would help a lot the ones i see on line don't have that blob of metal off of the side

Vehicle
    89 accord lxi

I've got a 7/8 Nissin laying around and it doesn't have the metal sticking out. The 15/16 Nissin that's in my car doesn't have it either.

Maybe you could just grind it off?
    Originally Posted by Justanothermike
    my A20 is not SLOW. ur A20 is slow.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Strugglebucket View Post
    I've got a 7/8 Nissin laying around and it doesn't have the metal sticking out. The 15/16 Nissin that's in my car doesn't have it either.

Maybe you could just grind it off?
    thats what i'm thinking,but i wanted to find a scrap one like it and grind it first.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

it is good to see those on the car, WOW!

Vehicle

long way to go they are just mocked up now. my aircleaners don't fit, so looking at the volvo ones, i went and looked at another master cyl,and it doesn't have that blob of metal sticking out. i might just grind that off of mine.

Vehicle

i'm really considering moving that alternator to the front, all i need is a fuel leak into the alternator below. i wonder if i could just run a longer five rib belt. i know i can mount the alternator to the ac bracket pretty easy. i'm going to move a few an lines around too of course for clearance.

Vehicle

Ok searching for a dead alternator, going to gut it and make it an idler pulley. good alternator is going on the front. have to move the oil filter, that was the plan anyway, the plate with the throttle return springs is right behind the filter. transdapt has a kit, they make good stuff, will use it all except the rubber hoses, they get replaced with braided. makes it eaisier to install the oil cooler later anyway.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Man glad to see those on your car! Have you taken it for a spin yet?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Man glad to see those on your car! Have you taken it for a spin yet?
    got a long way to go before then,though now that the old crap is off it will go much faster as far as completion. is a little hard to drive with no interior right now. shooting for the first tift area car show in april.

Vehicle
    1988 ca3 si exclusive

for a bit more room, should try later model su's or 150cd strombergs .
    thet have the float bowl underneath them

Vehicle
    '87 Prelude DX, '00 Nissan Frontier, '87 Suzuki Samurai DIESEL!

Wow! You must get those AN fittings for cheap. I would use them more if they weren't so expensive.

On the MC, the one on my Prelude doesn't have anything like that. I would bet it's safe to hack that off.

How close is the heater line? Can you just bend it over a little? Should be ok to bend it just a little as long as you get it right the fist time. Try to bend it back and it could break.

I had the transdapt kit on my Prelude for awhile but eventually decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Also had the same kit on my Nissan and the hoses were dried out and cracking after only 2 years. Took that one off too. Now the filter bases are on my Suzuki filtering diesel. Still have the filter adapters though. Not sure what to do with them as they aren't much use without the filter bases.

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus x-1 View Post
    Wow! You must get those AN fittings for cheap. I would use them more if they weren't so expensive.

On the MC, the one on my Prelude doesn't have anything like that. I would bet it's safe to hack that off.

How close is the heater line? Can you just bend it over a little? Should be ok to bend it just a little as long as you get it right the fist time. Try to bend it back and it could break.

I had the transdapt kit on my Prelude for awhile but eventually decided it was more trouble than it was worth. Also had the same kit on my Nissan and the hoses were dried out and cracking after only 2 years. Took that one off too. Now the filter bases are on my Suzuki filtering diesel. Still have the filter adapters though. Not sure what to do with them as they aren't much use without the filter bases.

C|
    i got a lot of the AN stuff discarded over the years are various cleanups at the plant, i get a lot of lines because they expire for aircraft use, nothing wrong with them, but they have a limit in years they can be on the shelf in an airplane. plus i still have a lot of my old racing stuff left over. as far as the transdapt kit,the main problem are the hoses, i would never run a non aeroquip line in an oil system. the cheap rubber lines don't last. need to bring the oil lines up anyway for the oil thermostat for the cooler. i will get more done this weekend. i need the gaskets for the thermostat housing ,and the thermostst cover,and the water pipe. once i can bolt those in,i can do a lot of the plumbing under the manifold and the coolant bypass through it. roodoo is also going to look for that o ring for the water pipe since he's right near a dealer. it's all coming together. i looked at the master cyl at autozone and it doesn't have that piece of metal eithier. as far as switching carbs, these are the really good datsun Su's,pre emissions, these are the ones in demand. plus if i change carbs i have to change all the linkages and everything. linkages work perfectly and i really don't want to screw with them.

Vehicle

see if i could find the idler assemby and two of these pulleys off one of these, i would be all set on figuring out the alternator problem. http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I got that jdm alternator you can have but too heavy $to ship,, if you are still coming this way next month you can get it with that other heavy stuff I have for you.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I got that jdm alternator you can have but too heavy $to ship,, if you are still coming this way next month you can get it with that other heavy stuff I have for you.
    does it bolt in like original? i was going to gut it, and remove everything but the shaft running through it, and the drive bearings. instant idler pulley. I have two alternators, but one is brand new,and the other is still in really good shape. i hate to destroy a good one. as far as mounting, i have it all figured out, going to do some machine work to the ac bracket, and add an adjuster arm. the factory bracket for the ac adjuster doesn't line up. should be pretty straight forward. was going to run better wiring for it anyway. i can leave the factory alternator in for a pulley until i pick up the other one. this project is getting interesting already. when i get the pan from second gen guy,i can weld on the bungs for the pcv system and put that in. cooling system gaskets are all i lack to put in all the an lines for the cooling system. want to get that water pipe and all that junk in back there before i put the manifold in permanently. right now i'm checking clearances for everything and figuring out what i need to change.

Vehicle

C|
    are you talking about the part that bypasses the oil filter on the back of the block? is it the same as the accord? i could use that part,i have the remote filter part around here somewhere. i hate to buy a kit with parts i'll never use like the rubber hoses. i have about 30 feet of -8 AN line to run the oil lines with.

Vehicle

ok it looks like a 91 civic alternator pulley matches the ac part of the crank pulley, need to clean up that bracket and do some modifications.

Vehicle

looks like for any air cleaner to clear the firewall, going to have to solder an elbow right off of the heater core outlet pipe,cut the pipe actually and have threads just beyond the rubber grommet,so i can screw in an elbow. going to be tricky but i have some serious tight clearance

Vehicle

The Preludes have so much more room behind the motor than the Accords. I see rjudgey's huge long intake runners with his big carbs all bolted in and I get so jealous.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    are you talking about the part that bypasses the oil filter on the back of the block? is it the same as the accord? i could use that part,i have the remote filter part around here somewhere. i hate to buy a kit with parts i'll never use like the rubber hoses. i have about 30 feet of -8 AN line to run the oil lines with.

Yeah, the part that screws on where the filter would normally go. The same kit fits lots of Japanese engines since many of them use the same filter base style. It will certainly fit yours. In fact I have two of them if you want both. PM me and we'll work out a deal.

C|

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    The Preludes have so much more room behind the motor than the Accords. I see rjudgey's huge long intake runners with his big carbs all bolted in and I get so jealous.

Huh, I didn't know that. You guys have more head room though. I had to chop a hole in my hood just to fit a Weber. Then I had to cut an even bigger hole for the B18 manifold. So now I have this ghetto ass firebird style cowl scoop, chopped in half and riveted to the hood to cover up the huge hole.

Seriously, this is one of the reasons I want to get my ITB setup working. It will fit under there without the hole so I can put on a normal looking hood again.

C|

Vehicle

LOL oh yeah. I think they called it the "engineless design" because they kept the hoodline low so you're like "how the heck did they get an engine in there??" Or was that the 3g Prelude... Hmmm.

Vehicle

mine has long runners but i tilted the manifold back when i designed it. you can adjust the fuel bowls apart from the carbs so they are level.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Huh, I didn't know that. You guys have more head room though. I had to chop a hole in my hood just to fit a Weber. Then I had to cut an even bigger hole for the B18 manifold. So now I have this ghetto ass firebird style cowl scoop, chopped in half and riveted to the hood to cover up the huge hole.

Seriously, this is one of the reasons I want to get my ITB setup working. It will fit under there without the hole so I can put on a normal looking hood again.

C|
    I so want to see somebody use a mustang hood skin on a honda hood frame, they are REAL close in shape but with a riser. Several year and model mustang are in that catagory. 2006 GT is one of them I was looking at.