View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to pay?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • up to $100

12 30.77%
  • $100-200

21 53.85%
  • $200-300

6 15.38%
  • $300+

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut Tower Bars.... (Poll)

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Strut Tower Bars.... (Poll)

OK guys, so I spent a few hours calling various manufacturers today, looking for someone to make a good quality (ie. DC) bar for us. I'll be honest, this is looking like I'm pissing in the wind, but I've already dug my heels down, and am ready for the fight.

There are a few companies out there (including DC) that I MIGHT be able to get this done through in a Group Buy form.

That said, I know the DC was pretty costly, and know any new bar would also be costly, but that's the price we pay for being different.

Please respond to the poll if you would seriously be willing to jump into a group buy, assuming 100% cost up front, with how much you would be willing to pay for a good quality bar.

For reference, DC and those of like quality are going for north of $200 each for most applications.

Companies I'm working with at the moment: DC Sports, Cusco, JIC.
    -Mark D.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Re: Strut Tower Bars.... (Poll)

Look at Megan Racing, they are 50-80 bucks brand new and get the job done. Hell if u really wanted me to i could send them my bar that i just got done welding to fit so they could use it as a template.
    Edit: check it out..
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...178#post926178
    Last edited by Tdurr; 01-28-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

hmm... trouble is, although that bar is better than some of the real crap out there, this is not quite as beefy as some of the more expensive, more rigid, bars out there. Take a peek at the DC bar, and notice the 1/8"-5/32" stock used for the bracket, and the long stand-off's to the mount point of the spanning aluminum bar. The other trick needed is the slight bend upward to clear the intake manny, which many of the lesser expensive bars do not have.

Not saying it's a bad option, just saying it's not quite as rigid.

...really this is why I setup the poll. I wanted to get an idea of how many people are interested, and at what price range.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    87 Hatch

I voted for 100-200, only because I would really have to see something to spend any more money. Perhaps a nice 3 point would set me 200+.
    Andrew.

My hatch build thread(started in winter of 07).

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord SE-i Coupe

Explicit Speed Performance, last i talked to them, is still interested in making us some 3pt front bars, and possibly more in the future. Every time i talk to them though, its "Im pretty busy right now, email me in a week". This went on for about two months before i gave up. The benefit with DC Sports is that more than likely they still have the specs for our cars. The downside, though, is that 2pt strut bars just aren't that great IMO. In all honesty, we are probably better off finding someone to make us UCA braces, rather than strut braces.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage
    Quote Originally Posted by AccordEpicenter View Post
    its better to be retarded than advanced

Vehicle
    1984 Accord LX

id easily spend 100-200 for a better brand name and better bar.... if i had a 3g

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

if it was for a front bar then i would do 100-200.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    Explicit Speed Performance, last i talked to them, is still interested in making us some 3pt front bars, and possibly more in the future. Every time i talk to them though, its "Im pretty busy right now, email me in a week". This went on for about two months before i gave up. The benefit with DC Sports is that more than likely they still have the specs for our cars. The downside, though, is that 2pt strut bars just aren't that great IMO. In all honesty, we are probably better off finding someone to make us UCA braces, rather than strut braces.
    ...yeah, about that program....

...apparently DC was an independent company prior to AEM purchasing the 'company' (more like the brand name rights), at which point the program for the bars was not transferred. I do believe however, that they kept the program for the header and continued to make that, but I can't be sure on that one as I'm unsure of the exact month/year they DQ'd the header.

...however, about a year ago DME bought the DC Sports name from AEM, and they currently own the name, however, they did confirm with me this afternoon that they definitely DO NOT have the program for either of the parts.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i say go megan all they need is one top hat to make the and a pic of the the location on the tower lol and you can make a bracket lol
    i just dont have the tools to make one lol

Vehicle

that sucks. I had an idea though... What about them making some control arms. Front, rear, upper and lower. I would KILL to have some nice looking aftermarket pieces. Lets face it, the stock pieces are heavy, flimsy (with the exception of the front LCA....bulky son of a bitch) and ugly.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

ok i just talked to magen and they say they dont do custom apparently they dont make there own bars lol

they would have to have a $50k bulk order from the manufacture and i doupt they will do that for a few bars lol but he did say just buy a bar and take it to a machine shop and they shoudl be able to do it lol

prolly dosent cost as much as we think lol ill look some more tomorrow

and if thats the same case with dc, dont they still make 4th gen bars

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ghettogeddy View Post
    ok i just talked to magen and they say they dont do custom apparently they dont make there own bars lol

they would have to have a $50k bulk order from the manufacture and i doupt they will do that for a few bars lol but he did say just buy a bar and take it to a machine shop and they shoudl be able to do it lol

prolly dosent cost as much as we think lol ill look some more tomorrow

and if thats the same case with dc, dont they still make 4th gen bars

true. I guess ill buy a ebay bar for 18 bucks(if any one wants the link pm me hehe) and then go to a machine shop with the one i welded and the old one and see what they can do. Maybe get a qoute to make like 10-40 sets? Think we have enough ppl willing to do that for rear strut bars? hell If i get the front ones done(ever) ill deff do that.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

$100-$200. IMO the DC and other billet aluminum bars aren't all that great. Compared to others made from steel tube, they have a tremendous amount of flex. I would recommend a company who actually engineers their bars like Neuspeed.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible View Post
    $100-$200. IMO the DC and other billet aluminum bars aren't all that great. Compared to others made from steel tube, they have a tremendous amount of flex. I would recommend a company who actually engineers their bars like Neuspeed.
    Point taken. Actually, the only bar DC is even entertaining the idea of making for us is their CS (Carbon Steel) bar.

...looks like this: http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...teel+Strut+Bar

I have spoken to Neuspeed a number of times in the past (haven't called them in about 3-4 years though) and they all but hung up on me. They're entirely too big to care about doing anything like this for us.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

I would like to have a billet one that cleared carbed motors, but cant commit right now.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    Point taken. Actually, the only bar DC is even entertaining the idea of making for us is their CS (Carbon Steel) bar.

I have spoken to Neuspeed a number of times in the past (haven't called them in about 3-4 years though) and they all but hung up on me. They're entirely too big to care about doing anything like this for us.

i would be down for something like that.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX & SEI

That one looks nice!!! is this one better than the aluminum bar they made for us??? It would be nice to have that bar for the front and rear!!!
    3geez is F**kin Awesome!!!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post

That's cool, did you get any idea on what they would go for?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 2drSE-i View Post
    xplicit Speed Performance, last i talked to them, is still interested in making us some 3pt front bars, and possibly more in the future. Every time i talk to them though, its "Im pretty busy right now, email me in a week". This went on for about two months before i gave up. The benefit with DC Sports is that more than likely they still have the specs for our cars. The downside, though, is that 2pt strut bars just aren't that great IMO. In all honesty, we are probably better off finding someone to make us UCA braces, rather than strut braces.
    I doubt that could happen too easily, being how far back they sit... On the civics and many others the uca straddles the strut. Ours are so close to the firewall, I doubt it would have any effect. Let's not forget the damn MC and all that other crap in the way!

I like the 3 point idea. What was your thinking for the 3rd point? Off of the dogbone mount somehow?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible View Post
    I doubt that could happen too easily, being how far back they sit... On the civics and many others the uca straddles the strut. Ours are so close to the firewall, I doubt it would have any effect. Let's not forget the damn MC and all that other crap in the way!

I like the 3 point idea. What was your thinking for the 3rd point? Off of the dogbone mount somehow?

Yea and the left UCA mount is under the Black box of doom, and the right one is under some shit too. The Dogbone would be a great place to mount it actually.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

Vehicle

i say fpr you carbed guys you do the top hat mod and you shoudl be able to get one on then just use really good hardware

Vehicle

i really dont think it would let the hood close geddy.
    '89 SE-i Coupe
    Awaiting Garage

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

someone with the dc strut bar needs to go to a machine shop and get the end plates copied. if we had someone making those u could just go on ebay and get one of the regular bars and slap it on the end plate....

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkRacer View Post
    someone with the dc strut bar needs to go to a machine shop and get the end plates copied. if we had someone making those u could just go on ebay and get one of the regular bars and slap it on the end plate....

Probably one of the better bets now, seeing as I have yet to hear back from DC. It would seem that my e-mails to them have been falling into a black hole. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

U didnt get my PM? ^^ About DC?

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread