Thread: hkb Struts .. Any info ?

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Cool hkb Struts .. Any info ?

I found a set of KYB struts at the junk yard on a 89 accord 2 door. The paint had a little rust on them. Anyone know about this strut whats the info ?
    Last edited by -$MOKIN-; 02-25-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Vehicle
    Honda Accord's EXi #1 [A20a4] R.I.P & #2 [B20a2]

Re: hkb Struts .. Any info ?

They are good gas struts, but will blow if lowered over 1.6"
    Some say a bit bouncy in front.

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

pretty much stock replacement just a little better if yours are stock i would recommend getting them

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i (4dr)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
    They are good gas struts, but will blow if lowered over 1.6"
    Some say a bit bouncy in front.
    they'll blow if lowered over 1.6"?? teh struts on meh car are all KYB 'cept one that i had to replace, and this car's probably dropped 2.75" and they're all fine. and believe me, where i live the roads are FAR from smooth.
    1987 Honda Accord LX-i (A20A3) (179k)
    79-whp, 103-wtq (Performance Solutions)

"...if you type, 'Google' into Google you'll break the internet..."

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

yep, if they're silver, they're GR-2's and like everyone else said, they're to be used only as a stock replacement. Their rebound valving is about 15-20% stiffer than the spring rate on stock springs. KYB says they do this and still market it as a 'stock replacement' spring because the minimal added stiffness is thought to help compensate for other worn suspension components (bushings, joints, etc.).

Yes, if you put them on a lowered car, you're guaranteed to blow them pretty quickly. This is not because it's lowered, but unless you cut your stock springs, ANY aftermarket spring for our cars are WAY too stiff for these, and will overpower the GR-2 causing failure in a hurry.

So if you're on stock springs, and you don't see any cracks or deep rust pitting in the body, and your existing shocks are shot, get them and you'll be happy with the better ride they'll give you.
    Last edited by markmdz89hatch; 02-26-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    -Mark D.

eh im runnin GR-2s and going to be dropped 2.25 and if im not mistaken, rendon lx-i has been doing the GR-2 set up with 2.5 drop in the front and 3.0 in the back since 2005 and he said he is still runnin good..
    one day I'll return.

Vehicle
    '88 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by 86ccord View Post
    eh im runnin GR-2s and going to be dropped 2.25 and if im not mistaken, rendon lx-i has been doing the GR-2 set up with 2.5 drop in the front and 3.0 in the back since 2005 and he said he is still runnin good..

if there is anything I have learned about suspensions it is that what one person says is smooth another person will say it is bouncey.

Everyone on H-T was like get H&R and AGXs for my Integra so I did. the rears bounce no matter what setting I use.
    '88 LX-i Coupe --- LS/Vtec
    '08 Accord EX-L 6-6 --- Daily Duty

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by 88LXi68 View Post
    if there is anything I have learned about suspensions it is that what one person says is smooth another person will say it is bouncey.

Everyone on H-T was like get H&R and AGXs for my Integra so I did. the rears bounce no matter what setting I use.
    Exactly. Thing is, with those 2.25's (sprints) it will feel 'stiffer' to you, but it's only one of the 2 (mainly 2) suspension characteristics that are stiffer. Under cornering, turning, or any sort of weight transfer, you'll get less lerching or 'roll' because of the reduced suspension travel and stiffer springs. ...but the bounce that you WILL see with that setup is not as evident by the amount of travel (as you would see more of with stock springs and blown struts), but more-so the uncontrollable rebound of the spring which (which is the cause of the 'bounce').

Trust me, it may feel stiffer to some, but a ride in a car that's setup correctly (Steve [aka.88lxi68] has G/C's on revalved Koni's ($$) and the car is TIGHT, very stiff and no bounce) you'll definitely feel the difference right away when it comes to steering response, handling, bump-steer, braking distance, wheel hop, etc, etc, etc.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

I blew the living fuck out of these struts dropped 2.25". They were like 1 pound each(seriously there wasn't anything in them anymore lol) when I took them out of the car they were so annihilated. I do NOT recommend them for lowering. Tokicos can hardly handle the 2.25" drop brand new.

Vehicle

^^indeed to that^^

We need to have group buy on KONIs RED or Yellow.
    For the last time!!!
    I'll lend the money just to get them if so!!

Its prttey fnuny how you can raed tihs eintre snetnece with all tehse ellters out of palce...

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
    ^^indeed to that^^

We need to have group buy on KONIs RED or Yellow.
    For the last time!!!
    I'll lend the money just to get them if so!!
    Sadly, I had hounded Koni for nearly a year (calling them at least once a month asking about this) and they just don't see enough demand to begin making them again, and are not interested in a g/b of the low volume that we might just barely be able to organize. They would need hundreds of commitments for full sets just to even think about doing it. I don't blame them for saying no, as the tooling/production costs a bunch and does not make business sense, but it still blows for us.

If you can get your hands on a set of blown Red's, you can send them to Koni and get them revalved, rebuilt, shortened (if you're lowered) and externally adjustable (basically rebuilt into a Yellow), but that's to the tune of about $1400-1600 for all four corners.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle

Yeah.. sadly as it is
    This is what I'm planing to do, is to find me a set and get them revolved to Yellows, but its a rare chance to get them in the first place, so maybe I will save just for that opportunity.. ehh well someday I say

My Build Thread

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Why doesn't someone experiment with different weight oil in stock or aftermarket dampers? I mean, a shock is a pretty simple device. If you want more damping, add thicker oil, or experiment with different size ports in the valve body. Exactly like jetting a carb. Just because it says "koni" and it's painted red doesn't make it magical. I've said this before.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

you're completely right, but I'll raise my hand and say that I'm in the dark about the internal workings of a shock. ...plus I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, than risk fooking up my Koni's just for the sake of science. ...I do like what you're saying though, and I might just take one of my old stockers and tear them apart to get a better idea of what's going on in there. I'll get back to everyone on that one once I get off my ass and tear one apart.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    you're completely right, but I'll raise my hand and say that I'm in the dark about the internal workings of a shock. ...plus I'd rather stick a fork in my eye, than risk fooking up my Koni's just for the sake of science. ...I do like what you're saying though, and I might just take one of my old stockers and tear them apart to get a better idea of what's going on in there. I'll get back to everyone on that one once I get off my ass and tear one apart.
    They're pretty simple. At the end of the piston rod, is, obviously, a piston. There are compression ports in the main part of the piston, and depending on the design, may be a rebound port through the shaft to the top side of the piston. The compression ports are covered by a spring-loaded valve that only allows flow on the down (compression) stroke, and closes the ports on the rebound, to allow more resistance, or rebound damping. Through shaft models may have an adjustable valve or specific size port to dictate rebound damping, and non thru shaft designs simply shim open the one way valve a slight amount to allow a certain amount of flow during rebound. Or they may use a bypass port drilled in the side of the piston, or controlled leakage past the piston packing. To adjust rebound damping, there are three options:

1. A thicker viscoscity fluid. This will increace compression and rebound damping force by a proportional amount

2. On non thru shaft models, a thinner shim will increase rebound damping by allowing the one way valve to close more fully. If the piston uses a bypass port instead, varying the size of the port (make it smaller for more resistance) will alter rebound damping.

3. On thru shaft models, simply alter the size of the port through the shaft, as it's the bypass port. Some shock models use a threaded rod through the shaft, and a knob on top allows you to open or close the port externally. These are obviously the higher end externally adjustable shocks.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Thanks you guys for all the input. They are the silver ones. I also seena set on a car that looked almost new but they looked like stock just all blakc with no writing .but i am goin to go back to regular stock ride hight for awhile so i guess i am goin to go get the KYB ones to put her back where she belong. im sick of the mishandling and the ruts in the road. PLus tire wear .and the way my tire looks when its lowered.without the camber adjustments its just way more suitable for me. Thanks you guys
    Btw i guess you can tbeat them for 15 bucks each one. so for 60 bucks i get a set of hkb's with springs not to bad. Thanks again ppls.

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

Quote Originally Posted by codyJDM View Post
    I blew the living fuck out of these struts dropped 2.25". They were like 1 pound each(seriously there wasn't anything in them anymore lol) when I took them out of the car they were so annihilated. I do NOT recommend them for lowering. Tokicos can hardly handle the 2.25" drop brand new.
    was that before or after you made your car into ground-hugger?

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyloopy View Post
    was that before or after you made your car into ground-hugger?
    Way before. When I first dropped my car on springs in Early '08.

Vehicle

I'm really curious, when people "blow out" their strut dampers after lowering, what exactly is happening? Are the piston rod seals failing, or is the shock being physically damaged by topping and bottoming out?
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

seals failing and gas/oil leaking out is my guess. When I say they're blown, they no longer have much/any resistance on both compression or rebound. I've been able to take a shock and grab the body and piston rod and just pull and push the rod with minimal effort.

I'm not sure that they're being damaged by bottoming out (most have the bump-stops or even without, when installed, even with the c/o's or springs as short as they come, they're still not so short that they can't at least perform in the control area of the piston travel.

Obviously you know quite a bit more about the inner workings of the struts then I do, but that's at least what my experience with them has taught me.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

WRONG.....Okay im not saying go out and buy GR-2s but As far as of today my kybs are holding and im surpised i was going to just change em but They are Stiff as can be. Running 3inch on front and 2.5 at rear Eibach sportlines. Maybe Cause the Sportlines are not as stiff as other springs IDK. but My struts holding up great. BUT I would recommend for people to go with a higher grade of strut TOKICO prehabs...But thats just me.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

not wrong. The sportlines are actually (based on the specs we were able to get from Eibach) softer in back than the stock ones, so although they are lower, they're softer, so the GR-2's should be able to survive quite well out back. ...in the front however, that's an entirely different story. I guarantee those will be taking a dump on you. How many miles have you run on that GR-2/Sportline setup in front? Did you cut a coil off the sportline? I thought those were only a 1.5-1.75" drop?

Toki's are not all that better than the GR-2's. Both manufacturers state a 10-15% (some KYB reps say the GR-2's are up to 20%) stiffer than stock. They're just a cooler color than the GR-2's, but no better.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Quote Originally Posted by markmdz89hatch View Post
    not wrong. The sportlines are actually (based on the specs we were able to get from Eibach) softer in back than the stock ones, so although they are lower, they're softer, so the GR-2's should be able to survive quite well out back. ...in the front however, that's an entirely different story. I guarantee those will be taking a dump on you. How many miles have you run on that GR-2/Sportline setup in front? Did you cut a coil off the sportline? I thought those were only a 1.5-1.75" drop?

Toki's are not all that better than the GR-2's. Both manufacturers state a 10-15% (some KYB reps say the GR-2's are up to 20%) stiffer than stock. They're just a cooler color than the GR-2's, but no better.
    I been running my kyb/sport line and yes a link cut off the fronts since 04 and I been thew hell with those mark..Went to texas,iowa,and back to home witch is washington state. about 2 times...SO idk there not even close to blow one bounce and thats it when i hit a big bump...the rest of the ride is stiff as hell....Miles idk ALOT....all i know those fuckers are holding up pretty good for been stock replacements....My setup is a proven point...BUT im not giong to tell people to get these for the fact been i know alot of newbie run coilovers which would completely blow em out...In my view these struts can handle a certin abuse...but im going to auto x here soon....i afaird to even go...BUT i got to see how she handles....but all in all good.....not bad.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1989 HONDA ACCORD LXI

Thanks everyone for there post . I ended up gettin the front hkb struts out of the junk yard and only paid 47 bucks . I had difficulties gettin the rear strut bolt out on the bottom. The damn rubber keeps flexing and the bolt is damn tight. I didnt have my breaker bar on me.Of course and it was cold as fkc. I tryed to shim it and stil couldnt break it. You guys know if there is a tool.
    Oh yeah.. Im glad that everyone had decent comment on how good they are. And sence they were cheap they should work perfect for me going back to stock ride hieght. Its goin to be weird driving with it stock height but i think overal its going to make the car alot better than how it rides now.
    Well hit me up with some ideas on gettin that back bottom bolt out. Lters

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    and I been thew hell with those mark..Went to texas,iowa,and back to home witch is washington state. about 2 times...SO idk there not even close to blow one bounce and thats it when i hit a big bump...the rest of the ride is stiff as hell....Miles idk ALOT....all i know those fuckers are holding up pretty good for been stock replacements...
    I used to go rock crawling in my Accord. The stock Showa's are fine, after 26 years of abuse.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"