Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flame F&F Not The Exhaust Flame - Who's Got The Biggest Flame... Pics Inside

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 honda prelude si 2.0 l

Exclamation Flame F&F Not The Exhaust Flame - Who's Got The Biggest Flame... Pics Inside

hey all you honda guyz out there that want flaming exhaust...well i want it too! but i heard they don't make kits for 4 bangers, does anyone out there know where i could get FLAMING EXHAUST???
    thank you
    Jeremy

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i, 00 Civic EX
    i think i saw an ad in a magazine for Autoloc. they had some sort of flamethower thing you could buy.

but besides, as cool as that sounds...it's still rice.
    89 Silverstone Metallic LXi, custom Air Intake, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, A'PEXi N1 exhaust with 2.25" pipe, ACT clutch, Xenon body kit

3geez member since July 11, 2001

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    its also Corn, cuz old muscle cars used to do that, they riged up a spark plug in the exaust pipe then some how got it to spark and shoot flames out

Vehicle
    1986 Prelude 2.0si turbo - 1990 Integra moutain carver - 1993 Nissan 300ZXTT w/ more power than god
    This is an old hot rodder trick. The skinny? Weld a boss onto your exhaust pipe right behind your muffler. Put a spark plug in it. Run a wire for power. Put a toggle or pushbuttom switch on the power wire, mount that near your drivers seat. Push button for flaming effect.

It lights the exhaust gasses coming out. Nothing more to it than that.
    I am the wrath of the server you curse and the demon of the directory you cry about - making life hell for users, one deleted file at a time.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    My car does it when i run nitrous through it but I have been trying to stop it cause something like that means you are in a state of detune. The only ways you could get an exhaust to do that is to run way rich (which is why mine flames when i shoot nitrous) and add a spark at the the tip to ignite the fuel again. On a car that is properly tuned it should burn all the fuel and there shouldn't be hardly anything else left to burn so if you ignite it again in theory nothing will flame. This is also bad for you headers, very bad for your cat, and mufflers. Its no telling how long they will last cause the flame always reverbs and heads back up the pipes before canceling out. You can thank the valves on the head for these dynamic waves. I always though of this as very scray cause what would happen if it kept igniting fuel all the way back into the head? Anyways if you want this too happen....get a fpr and adjust it to 44psi so you'll run way rich....you should be able to smell the extra fuel....and then add any kind of spark at the tip of your exhaust with a push button and boom......instant flames.....good luck burning your car down.
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    How many volts does it take to get the spark to jump the gap on a spark plug?
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Banned
    Vehicle
    2000 Civic LX

Re: Special: Flaming Exhaust!

Originally posted by 87 Honda Prelude
    i heard they don't make kits for 4 bangers
    I saw a bunch of 4 bangers do it on the fast and furious

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Lxi/ 5spd
    Ok....the fast and furious is a movie and is mostly fiction. But i sense you are playin around so I agree that is funny. But to be more serious I think this idea is dangerous. It takes alot of voltage to jump spark on a plug depending on the gap. Your talking around 5000 volts with a very very small gap. It seems to me you would have to tap off your coil and run an insulated wire back to the bung to the spark plug. But any spark would work so why use a 10k to 40k volt spark plug and risk shorter out your electrical system?.....why not use something else that sparks more easily....
    In the end...it doesn't even matter.
    88 Lxi, 5spd swap w/ Aasco 8lb flywheel/Cai,AccelCoil,NologyWires,SilverstoneSparks/DC421,ColtCam,Remachined Head&Tb...NitrousWorks 40shot

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Accord EXi, 1991 Mustang GT
    I'm an old hotroder...

heres how its done:

You need a coil and a spark plug (chevy and ford coils can be had very cheeply at a junk yard and are a simple 2 wire hook up). You use an old plug wire to go from the coil (which you mount in the trunk or under the car in a safe place) to the spark plug which is screwed into the exhaust via a O2 sesor bung that any muffler shop can install for you.

Now the wiring from the coil goes to a relay, you will need a 12V source with a fuze (20A or so) and a toggle switch for the dash.

To burn the nylons of the legs of the young ladies behind the car you rev it up and flip the switch! Unburned fuel ignites and fires back a couple feet.

Now you accord guys need to be aware of a couple of things. One: your flame isn't going to shoot that far beacuse these cars are pretty gutless and dont move a lot of air. A turbo car or a big american V8 is just going to be more impressive, but it will still be good for a show.

Now second and more importantly our mufflers are at the rear of the car if you plumb in the spark plug before the muffler you risk blowing it off the car or at least melting the glass packing inside it. If you plumb it in after the muffler it will probably work fine, but it its trial and error Again remember that most american V8s had the mufflers just after the headers well under the car, this is a better setup as far as flamethrowers go. I imagine a good straight thru import muffler will work well though.

Just throwing in my $.02

Stew
    Last edited by Stew; 09-29-2002 at 12:49 AM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    im gonna try it
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

Vehicle
    97 Dodge Neon
    dont blow yourself up

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    Originally posted by Mantis88LX
    dont blow yourself up
    careful man

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    STEW: What do you consider an "old" ford? I imagine ill find alot of those in the junkyard
    Also, should I use a car sparkplug, lawnmower, weedeater, etc... (sparkplug)
    And Also, heh, if i throw the switch and leave it thrown, will it keep sparking, or just spark once?

:super:

DX User
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 1989se-i
    STEW: What do you consider an "old" ford? I imagine ill find alot of those in the junkyard
    Also, should I use a car sparkplug, lawnmower, weedeater, etc... (sparkplug)
    And Also, heh, if i throw the switch and leave it thrown, will it keep sparking, or just spark once?

Actually even ford right up till 1993 had a 2 wire coil like on the mustangs and F-150s. Any coil will do really.

I would use a car spark plug, but just about anything will do, open the gap up to like .055

You wont be able to hold a sustained flame by keeping the switch thrown unless you car runs pig rich. Gas vapours need to build up before they can be ignited. Thats why you rev your engine then flip the switch (and keep revving). You will probably get a few seconds of good flame, then it will die down to a little ball. Nothing to stop you from doing it over and over tho.

Have fun
    Last edited by Stew; 09-29-2002 at 05:13 PM.

Vehicle
    96 Civic (Turbo lsvtec) /87 accord lx/95 civic dx
    let us know how it goes too
    Jay

u go stew :super:
    finally a mofo that knows how to do it!! lol!!

I've been itching to do it to my new exhaust since I got it like 3 months ago and my carb runs rich as hell
    Eric
    3geez member since October 12, 2000
    "All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." - Henry David Thoreau

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Sweeet. :super:

Ill pick up a coil tuesday, i gotta werk on monday goddamnit!!!!
    Heh, could i use my stock coil? its being replaced with an accel, so im just gonna trash it anyway..?

DX User
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by POS carb
    u go stew :super:
    finally a mofo that knows how to do it!! lol!!

I've been itching to do it to my new exhaust since I got it like 3 months ago and my carb runs rich as hell
    hehe... I think I have pics of my old 79 mustang with the flames going I'll have to dig that box of photos out of the garage.

To 89se-i: I havnt looked at the coil on our cars. It dcertainly makes enough spark but the real question is how its hooked up. a 2 wire setup is what you need (for simplicities sake, just a pos and neg terminal).

:flame:

next weeks discussion: minitubs

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    Originally posted by Stew

next weeks discussion: minitubs
    All right... hey someone find out who has that 3G limo.
    - llia

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Ill try it with my coil first, just to save cash, cause I threw away my old spark plug wires

I have 2 tips comming outta my muffler... should I do both, or just one? Should I even place the sparkplugs on the tips, or should I do it before the muffler, or will that make the muffler explode?
    Im trying to find out where to place the plugs, incase you havent figured that out :p

DX User
    Vehicle
    is the muffler baffeled or is it a straight thru?

If it is straight thru put the plug before the muffler, if it is baffled or chambered I would sugest putting it on the muffler tip for safty.

The problem with baffler mufflers is that they trap a lot of gas vapor, so you may not have very impressive reults.

A straight thru muffler would really be your best bet.

Stew

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    I have the stock '89 SEI muffler, dont know what kind it is.

So far I got the spark plug(s), and coil. Im going to get some Geo metro wires tomoro, since theyll prolly be cheapest

If i need to place it after the muffler, should i do both thips?

Do i need to put a ground to the muffler?

If i splace the neg wires together and the pos wires together on my stock coil, will that werk?

I dont wanna shock the shit outta myself (again) or blow myself or my car up. :p

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Splace==splice

DX User
    Vehicle
    I really couldn't say how good your results will be with a restrivtive stock muffler. I also dont see how you would branch from the coil to 2 spark plugs (one in each tip). Start with one and see if it works in any case.

You will not need a ground on the muffler.

I also don't see any reason to buy new plug wires. go to a wreckers and grab the longest one you can find off of a domestic V8. It should be free.

As for wiring the stock coil for use I really couldn't say. I know there are more than 2 wires but without knowing what thier function is I can't help you.

I recomend a 2 wire type coil as I mentioned before. And again a used one from a wrecking yard should be practically free.

Stew.
    Last edited by Stew; 09-30-2002 at 08:00 PM.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Thanks, ill be visiting the junker tomoro, then burning things