Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My little input for audio.

Bass Man

My little input for audio.

Over a couple years, I've aquired a little knowledge about common car audio.

First point: Dimming headlights.

To make it clear for ANYONE with this problem; a capasitor is NEVER the best option, or for that matter, a good option.

A second battery isn't the best option, either. But!!! There is a "throw in" alternative... Look into Kinetik power cells. They take the place of cap's and do a much better job at handling power.

There are so many other factors that play a part in excessive dimming. A good rule of thumb is; never use a thinner ground. ALWAYS match or better your power wire at the amp.
    Another thing to do is upgrade your cars' ground wires, otherwise known as the "Big 3". The stock wires are no more than 8awg (American Wire Gauge)... This should be upgraded at LEAST every 500watts.
    500watts is fine for stock.
    1000watts needs 4awg.
    1500watts needs 2awg.
    1500+watts, I advise running at least one "run" of 0/2 or 0/1awg ground straight to the battery.

Section 2: Amplifier power and ways to measure it.

1500watts MAX might power your Sony Xplods........... but a 1500wattMAX amplifier will only give 1500watts if struck by lightning.
    The TRUE measure in wattage is RMS; ROOT MEAN SQUARED, as in 1000watts RMS.
    My BX1000D puts out roughly 912 watts RMS under a 1ohm load.

Amplifer output is AC volts(and yes, I've been shocked with it). RMS = Vac^2 in short. Clean, my amplifier measured 32.*Vac. 32.*^2 = 912.

Common amplifier classes.
    The most common class is the A/B class. On a need-to-know basis, A/B is less efficient, (gets really hot under accesive use) but is usually a lot clean signal. They can be used on anything from tweeters to subwoofers.
    D class I would say is strictly a bass amplifier. Aside from a little less clean, a D class amp will always run cooler than an A/B class (properly tuned) and in most cases, allow you to run a lower ohm load.

I've ran my BX1000D at ~.80 ohms after box rise for close to an hour straight, and the hottest it got was around 100 degrees... I've felt Audiobahn amps being played at 2 ohms for a half hour and you can't put your hand on it.

Setting your gain correctly
    This is the most important thing in your system!!
    Gain, or "Level" is there simply to match your stereo's output voltage. The proper way to set your gain is to use a DMM. I set mine by ear, but if you are willing, here is some awesome info...
    Here is how I do it for customers who spend a lot on their equiptment and don't want to replace it soon.
    I turn the volume up to the loudest the person ever wants to hear it, then turn the Bass Boost up all the way, then slowly turn up the gain untill it starts distorting, then put the bass boost down to about 80% (I have a knob that has the bass boost control on it, and I do it the same way)...

Section 3: Subwoofer enclosures
    I design and build enclosure on the side. When I design a box, it's not just about your subs, infact, the vehicle it is going in is just as important. Granted, I am not the best, I do a good job for free... but if you want to spend $50, Pete is the ONLY one who does the absolute best enclosure.

There are 3 main enclosure types; Sealed, Ported, and Bandpass.
    If you want light, tight bass, go sealed.
    If you want deep, powerful bass, go ported.
    ONLY buy a bandpass if it is designed for a certain subwoofer. If it is off by a little bit, it's gonna play like crap and blow your stuff FAST... Just be carefull...

There are also things like 6th and 8th order Bandpass, ABC, Transmission line, and Phaseboxes, and Pete can help you choose which way to go.

Section 4: Securing your Equipment'
    I posted this in another forum:
    Ok. Here is some usefull info.
    I'm going from front to back.

Head Units:
    ALWAYS use a back strap (comes with EVERY aftermarket head unit)
    ALWAYS take your face plate off.

Front Speakers:
    Your best bet would be to keep speakers behind your doors. If you have them outside the door, put black tape over the logo on the grill and secure with Tamper-Proof Torx Head screws. Tamper-proof Torx is the best anti-theft screw (Torx head with a little pin in the middle).

Rear Speakers:
    Same as the front... If you don't want them stolen, don't show-case them.

Amplifier:
    Secure all 4 mounting holes TO THE CAR itself with specialty screws...

Subwoofer Box:
    Bolt the Subwoofer Box down through the floor, insert a bolt with a LOT of thread from the bottom, first through the floor, then through the box, and secure with Nyloc Lock-nuts.
    They can try to unbolt the box, but even with an air-gun, no one can unbolt that.

Subwoofers into the box:
    Again, those special Tamper-Proof Torx screws are the best for security.

If it is a professional thief, they will destroy everything in their way to get what they want. So take that into consideration.

OK... I am done for the night...
    If there are any questions, I will gladly take a stab at it.

Bass Man

Re: My little input for audio.

No one has anything to say?? My work here is done!

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

Kinetik power cells arent the only solution jus the ones you have ran into lol
    check out thte xtact battcap same basic idea its a battery that acts liek a cap lol
    up to 100 fareds

also ive alwas had great luck with caps they seem to work fine for me
    Setting your gain correctly
    This is the most important thing in your system!!
    Gain, or "Level" is there simply to match your stereo's output voltage. The proper way to set your gain is to use a DMM. I set mine by ear, but if you are willing, here is some awesome info...
    Here is how I do it for customers who spend a lot on their equiptment and don't want to replace it soon.
    I turn the volume up to the loudest the person ever wants to hear it, then turn the Bass Boost up all the way, then slowly turn up the gain untill it starts distorting, then put the bass boost down to about 80% (I have a knob that has the bass boost control on it, and I do it the same way)...
    that right there is the best bit of info in there
    every install or reinstall i do this is key
    all my friends think its cool to jack the gain all the way up and they wounder why there shit sounds bad lol and they think im a god cause i have a ear for this shit and know what im doing lol

Bass Man

Yeah, you know what I'm talking about! It's hard to put in words how you need to set it, but I just do it by ear for everyone.

I was gonna say BattCap, but I forgot who made them and I didn't want to search... Kinetik is just who we use.

Vehicle
    88 lx sedan (R.I.P.) / 89 LX sedan(sold) / 89 lxi parts car(towed away) / 87 lxi hatch

i think on the 1800wattfosgate i had i never turned the gain up past maybe 10% maybe evn 5% that thing was awsome

Bass Man

Must have had a nice HU with it.

Older Rockford rocked.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Man View Post
    Must have had a nice HU with it.

Older Rockford rocked.
    ya a panasonic cq-c7301u
    http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuse...2752&aff=72182

of course when my car was stolin they stole the faceplate so ive been looking for another ever sense
    if you ever come across one hook a brother up

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

in other words don't stick your sub box in plain view on the back deck with giant stickers saying what kind of system you got lol. i see it all the time here especially the mexicans ,usually driving beat to shit camaros with giant sub boxes in plain view in the hatch. not a good idea.

Bass Man

The #1 way to keep your system safe is keeping it to yourself... If no one knows about it, no one wants it.

In most small cities, you put a big "KICKER" sticker on your back window, and the window is gonna be shattered and your Kickers will be missing.

Vehicle
    1989 accord lxi

i had a huge system in a ford tempo once upon a time.Came out 1 morning to get in car and the doors were all open.I had left one window cracked lik a half of an inch.They got the subs both sets but left head unit alone which was kind of funny.Because the face was broke and wouldnt stay so i had duk taped it on but it was a real good pioneer.They didnt get the amp either which was also funny they tore the backseat loose to get it but i had it bolted to floor with lag bolts and from back seat and they couldnt get it loose.But all they had to do was hit trunk popper button.Anyways never saw my speakers again.Another good thing to do is write ur name inside box behind speakers i would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    dont get peoples hopes up.......we are broke...thats why we drive 80s cars
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960455

Bass Man

I used to write my name in my boxes... Then I started making boxes for a living, lol!

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

hmm would ya know why my deck lights dim and my dash lights when the bass hits lol i have OEM replacement speakers and a prelude deck rated at 25watts max a chanel so i cant figger out why its making my lights dim

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Bass Man

My brothers Samurai did that when his alternator went out, but all I can think about is a dead short (through your speaker wires(Like if you didn't use your rear outputs and didn't protect the ends, or one of your speaker terminals are grounding to the chassis)) or you grounded the HU to something you shouldn't have (like the stock ground or a loose ground.)

All I can say about that... My amp draws 60 amps at full tilt, and hardly dims my lights, so I doubt "25 watts" will draw enough to do that...
    For future purchases, don't look at "Max watts"... I think I made myself clear above^^

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

i got all the speaker wired up and the deck is wired to the stock radio plug so it could be a bad ground somewere else time for a ground kit i guise

Vehicle

My brothers Samurai did that when his alternator went out, but all I can think about is a dead short (through your speaker wires(Like if you didn't use your rear outputs and didn't protect the ends, or one of your speaker terminals are grounding to the chassis)) or you grounded the HU to something you shouldn't have (like the stock ground or a loose ground.)

All I can say about that... My amp draws 60 amps at full tilt, and hardly dims my lights, so I doubt "25 watts" will draw enough to do that...
    For future purchases, don't look at "Max watts"... I think I made myself clear above^^
    ive never had a prob using the stock radio ground but in cahs car you never know lol his alt is prolly going bad

Bass Man

Lol^^

Yeah, I have never had a problem there, but I've seen enough cars with bad grounds...

I grounded my front left speaker in my 87 DX, so that's somewhere to start...

Are you sure your rear wires aren't grounding somewhere?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

m lights dont dim....napa alternator for the win

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

Lol^^

Yeah, I have never had a problem there, but I've seen enough cars with bad grounds...

I grounded my front left speaker in my 87 DX, so that's somewhere to start...

Are you sure your rear wires aren't grounding somewhere?
    yep unless the wire is cut somewhere and touching the body
    and i know the front aren't since i replaced the front speaker wire
    im pretty sure the alt is good it was replaced in jan 2006 by the old owner
    maybe its the battery? i just have the cheapest walmart battery in there lol

Vehicle
    1982 VW Scirocco, 1995 Acura Integra LS. Previously Owned: 1989 Accord LXi, 1991 Civic DX

Yes, do NOT show off your system in cities.... I had a good setup with a 1000 watt volfenhag (hooked to a 1.5 farad volfenhag cap) divided among 2 alphasonics in a sealed box, and 2 pioneer 6x9's hooked up to a 500 watt rockford fosgate. Audio came from a decent VR3 deck, but all and all i loved that system, it made my cavi a very happy dd..

The Damage: They smashed the small window to get in and unlock the car, (2 door) and they couldn't get into my trunk so they drilled out the rear lock and that didn't work yet.... so they ripped my back seat off the rear trunk wall (it was SOLID it was never meant to fold down) and there were metal beams in the way to hold the seat, but my amps could fit through them. Then to get my subs they must have taken a crow bar or some shit and just popped the fucker open because my trunk refused to stay closed. They did this all unnoticed within a 3 hour window when my buddy and I were away. The lesson? ONLY person who should know about your system when you park your car in a big city is you and only you. My only thing i am happy for is that i didn't have this system in my 3gee!

My god did that thing pound and my cap did a very nice job of keeping my lights from dimming unless under a very heavy load, but I was stupid and played it loud in green bay everywhere I went, not a good choice and i wish i had known or understood that sooner...

ONLY show it off if you have a nice garage to park it in, and even then turn the bass off when your on your way home!

Its been 2 years since that happened and I haven't seen anything from that system, they took everything and the police didn't do shit!...I haven't given up tho, i currently have 1 12 with a little 200 watt amp that its bridged to in my 3gee just for a little fun but I'm still very cautious with it. So far i have a Volfenhag ZX8400 as my next sub amp, its literally been sitting in my closet for about 2 years now awaiting subs that can handle it. Bought it to make myself feel better after getting everything ripped off...

I was thinking of going all Volfenhag...they treat me very well it seems.
    Last edited by GraniteLXI; 05-05-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Bass Man

Ahhh... Good Ol' "Hack 'n Gag", eh??

Alphasonics and Volfenhag... That just sounds loud... lol.

I knew someone with a pair of "Water-cooled" 12's in a sealed box... He also had a 3g DX... That thing was pretty loud and sounded nice.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord lxi 2dr junker ready for upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    in other words don't stick your sub box in plain view on the back deck with giant stickers saying what kind of system you got lol. i see it all the time here especially the mexicans ,usually driving beat to shit camaros with giant sub boxes in plain view in the hatch. not a good idea.
    got to love the steal me stickers hahaha

1988 accord lxi SMASHED 225k havent seen it in sooooo long AND GOIN STRONG!!!!!!!

LX User
    Vehicle

i used to have a set of jl 15s with a lil 600 watt pheonix gold in my 3 gee that pounded pretty good but some one broke my rear window and stole the whole set right through my fold down back seat but the lesson i learned is yes bolt your box down and dont bolt your amp to the box either especially where everyone can see it as i did (it was mounted to the back right behind the folded down seat

1988 accord lxi SMASHED 225k havent seen it in sooooo long AND GOIN STRONG!!!!!!!

Bass Man

I like BIG boxes... And the one I have in my 3g right now is about 18" tall, and I DON'T have a fold down seat... So I took a sheetmetal shear to the rear and cut a lot of things out of the way...

You can't steal my subs with the box, cuz you gotta take the subs out to get the box to fit, lol... And my amp is now hidden under my seat... There is a LOT of room under them seats!

LX User
    Vehicle

I like BIG boxes... And the one I have in my 3g right now is about 18" tall, and I DON'T have a fold down seat... So I took a sheetmetal shear to the rear and cut a lot of things out of the way...

You can't steal my subs with the box, cuz you gotta take the subs out to get the box to fit, lol... And my amp is now hidden under my seat... There is a LOT of room under them seats!
    thats good to know ive never actually taken my seat out to look i just wanted a quick plug and play that was a mistake

LX User
    Vehicle

the one i plan on getting unless you can make me one bassman is 12 inches high by 32 inches wide but there will be 72 lbs worth of 10in subs in it so i dont think theyll be pulling that one thru the back seat let alone im going to bolt it down and i think im going to mount the amp under the box where the spare goes cuz if i get a flat im usually close enought to home to get the truck and trsiler so who needs a spare hahaha but i think that what my plans are for the near future u think???