Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carburetor

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 CRX DX, 1983 Accord SE

carburetor

everything is done on the car now. car starts but doesnt run long. i try to hit the footfeed (lol i said footfeed) and it just dies. i thought it was vaccume, but wasnt. well i had my buddy pour a lil gas into it when i start it up, and it stayed running, it even reved durring this process. well after pouring gas it dies a few secs afterwards. what is the prob.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: carburetor

out of gas?

or things that mimick being out of gas such as float needle stuck closed, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel screen in tank, or water

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Sounds like roodoo is on top of it, as usual.

DX User
    Vehicle

its not out of gas, but for some information, i did do a head gasket and while the carb was off, i carb cleaned the hell out of it.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

did you have it upside down, please say NO

DX User
    Vehicle

yeah, what did i do

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

uh oh.... time to rebuild it....

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

DX User
    Vehicle

why? tell me what happened as i turned it upside down. im not happy. i was at the junk yard today, and found a hatchback with a carb in it. i know the top is a circle, but can i make this happen with the other cars breather at the yard? well heres the pic
    Last edited by badbobb; 03-16-2009 at 04:49 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle

ok, here is the update. i just got back in from the garage and now me car only turns over?!? wtf? its only been like 1hr since it was trying to run. btw, what is the fuel pressure on it?

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5350
    read read read and then read some more is all i can recommend since the last time i worked on early 2g carb was 4 years ago

DX User
    Vehicle

do you think its cheaper to just buy a carb? or just rebuild? and what about that carb i found at the yard? where are you rooboo

Vehicle
    '82 Accord DX Sdn

that must be an 84-85 (ES1?)carb. It's not the same motor as whats in yours (EK1)so i'm pretty sure it won't work. A rebuilt carb is going to be over $400, A weber is only slightly less. I've never seen a rebuild kit for a stock carb, not to say they arent out there. If you turned it upside down, you may need new floats.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

try importcarbs.com you can get one cheaper then that. or he can rebuild yours.

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

a weber will make your engine bay look the sexy like CcordLevel2 sig

DX User
    Vehicle

yeah, i know. i nut everytime i see his weber. but the way i see it, why drop mad cash in a car that isnt mine. remember guys, this me wifes. but, i found this rebuild. it says its for me but what you think? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat10007

i found what im trading my rex for, check it: http://hondaswap.com/attachments/828...icture-002.jpg

also look at this pimp redo of my new project:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2082412

its the white one towards the bottom after the rexes.

why do the floats screw up when turned upside down? also i checked the fuel pump. its ok too. time to reply

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

is that shoe a STD or DX? your def going to want to do a MPFI swap on it if u plan on making any power for it. i have a 91 DX

Vehicle

Rebuild the carb? Because you turned it upside down? Maybe your float needle fell out or something. I would take the top off of it and look inside the float bowl and make sure the float moves freely and that the valve is operating properly before you go doing a whole full on rebuild of it.

DX User
    Vehicle

can you give me a pic of what a float looks like. im new to carbs so i dont know what im looking for. also on that note, you talkin about the model? of mine or in pic. if its the pics then its an si. what im getting is a dx. and yes. i found a zc in a yard. if the zc is a lil too much to do (i dont have much money) ill do the b16. def no more carbs for me.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

I call bullshit on a bunch of this.

1. Pull off your fuel line, and have your buddy crank over the engine, verify you get fuel to the carb. If not, investigate and repair.

2. If you have fuel, car should start. Since it doesn't, try manually filling the float bowl via the vent tube in the carb throat. It's the one to the left of the secondary barrel that's cut off on an angle. A small funnel or a can of carb cleaner works good for this. Fill it until it spills out of the secondary jet, or the top of the vent tube. The car should run for a minute or two until the fuel in the float bowl is consumed.

3. If you somehow have fuel and it's not getting into the carb, now take off the top hat. You need to dismantle the accelerator pump linkage and some other shit, but it's pretty easy. Get an impact screwdriver for undoing the top hat screws, as they're probably seized. Dismantle the float and needle, and blow out the passages with air or carb cleaner. I don't recommend you move the float seat, it's the big flat screw where the needle goes in the bottom, as it changes the float height and is nearly impossible to set back up again.

I'm sure that you have a problem with your fuel pump, not your carb. And, in my experience, turning the carb upsidedown does nothing but piss gasoline on your shoes.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User
    Vehicle

lol, nice advice guys. guy, i checked the pump and gas does come out when my buddy turns over the car for me. thanks again for taking time to help with this whole thing. ill be updating soon

Vehicle
    82 DX & 85 EX Accord Sedan Hondamatics

As you did the headgasket, did you install the timing belt correctly?

Your cars problems sound identical to mine & the only thing that was changed on my car before it went faulty was the timing belt.

I checked my carb & it made no difference.

BTW a 84-85 carb does fit & the car will run with it installed though there are differences & the barrell size is bigger. Better with the original or a Weber imo.

Doing more work on my poorly car today!

DX User
    Vehicle

timing belt is good. now this car is just turning over. i need ideas. car is still down. tired of getting rides off people. also my internet is shut off right now. im on my buddys pc right now. so dont expect fast replies. i dont think it needs to be rebuilt as well.

2.0Si User
    Vehicle
    1988 Accord DX

Phuck rebuilding the carb or even trying to get the thing to ever run right now & in the future. Once you have problems with them, it never stops. There is all sorts of vacuum devices that start to go with the added headaches of these OEM carbs. I know from experience, I rebuilt a few carbs for my car & never was happy with it. Finally decided enough was enough & installed a weber. So my advice is to quit messing with the carb., cause it's like pulling teeth. The quicker you pull it, the less pain you'll have. Weber is the only way with these cars.

DX User
    Vehicle

ok, i here ya with the weber thing, but what about this? i an get it to run then dies. now if i put my hand over it, and let off and so on and so on, it will run. when i stop, then it dies....

Vehicle

Sounds like maybe the car is cold at first and needs some more choke. Is the choke plate closed when you're trying to cold start the motor? If it still dies after it warms up, maybe it just needs the idle adjustment turned up?