Thread: Hesitant acceleration?

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Hesitant acceleration?

Alright so It's most likely something simple and quick, but it seems sometimes when I try to pull out in traffic, my car hesitates realllllly bad, and then it just wants to chug along until I get it to like 3000+ rpm.. I can have my foot to the ground and it won't barely move.. Then, it'll idle really low during this all if I come to a stop, then somewhere along the lines, it stalls out and it runs smooth again for like err a day I guess (it's only happened a few times now).. Maybe a fuel filter? It's an automatic if that helps but meh..

Vehicle
    1987 Accord DX 4 door

Re: Hesitant acceleration?

I had similar problems with my stock carb, and with my new 38. My fuel pressure is fairly low though, something like 1 psi. I think that has something to do with it. Those carbs are a pain in the ass with all the vacuum controlled crap. Could be some random solenoid not working right on occasion. Your car is like 21 years old. Maybe you should just give it a beer?

If you haven't changed your fuel filters (2) in the past year you should do that first. If you can get a hold of a fuel pressure gage that reads at around 3 psi accurately you might want to check it. I think the spec is something like 2.6-3.3 psi at idle. I don't have my manual open right now, but I am sure about the 3.3 part. If that is low check for obstructions at the pump like a clogged sock. Then take a look at the pump.

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

try changing the filters it doesent hurt to try eh?
    and you might want to look in to upgrading to a Weber or getting your carb rebuilt

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    try changing the filters it doesent hurt to try eh?
    and you might want to look in to upgrading to a Weber or getting your carb rebuilt
    x2 on the carb rebuild.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Alright got a new fuel pump and it didn't help AT ALL, and found that I have a leaky intake manifold (like pretty good leak) and apparantly a leaky EGR.. But then someone else told me that the EGR leaks on it's own and is supposed to, and that the EGR doesn't even need to be on my car (apparantly he's ASCE or w/e certified mechanic..) I need to figure this problem out..

Ok here's a rundown..

-Doesn't want to "go"
    -Unless I'm doing 70+ it feels like it's sputtering.
    -It likes to stall out when I'm switching from R to D4..
    -It sounds like a belt is squeeking (no idea if that may help)..
    -At 2250 RPM it starts making a clicking noise and acts retarded as in sputtering and feels like it has like no power, but only at 2250 not above or below does it click, but it'll sputter whenever (odd ye?)
    -Err, I checked the fuel filters, cleaned the EGR (from the outside, not taking it off), and replaced the whole fuel pump/strainer..)
    -It runs at around 1000RPM in D4, doesn't really fluctuate or anything.
    -Sometimes it'll stall out, then run fine for a day or so, but then acts up again randomly..

Just throw me some ideas here, and carb rebuild is meh unless someone can find me a weber or something for under 200 bucks, and instructions on how to remove mine and put that in lol..

Oh ye, some ideas I've been told it could be are like..

-Accelerator pump since the carb'd Honda's have 2 a mechanic said..
    -I have a bad CV joint, no idea if that'll be any difference..
    -The gas I've been using has Techron in it, and the problem HAS been since I started using them, right after I switched to that gas station, and someone said the new additives are bad for my old ass car (ruins seals or something no idea).. Maybe switch gas stations again?!

But the other things I've been told like the pump, I've fixed..

Any ideas would help, thanks guys

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I would check things like the plugs, distributor, plug wires, pcv, vacuume leaks, use a little carb cleaner if it looks gunky, also make sure there is nothing lodged in your air intake hose.

Did it just start doing this out of nowhere?
    Last edited by conozo; 03-26-2009 at 01:40 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Already used carb cleaner, and checked all the plugs and everything you mentioned besides the PCV.. But I don't see how the PCV would make the car stall and mke it run like poo out of nowhere, correct me if I'm wrong.

Aldo, changed gas stations today when I was almost empty, no difference after driving 20 miles, so I guess it wasn't the gas.

Vehicle
    1990 Mazda Miata

damn... too bad this wasnt about 6 months ago, i was in pensacola for a few months and coulda helped. kinda sounds like a vac leak, but ur idling fine so thats prob not it. dunno what to tell ya.

Vehicle
    89 Accord LXI

Alright so I checked for vacum leaks and found a couple and fixed them (so I should have NO leaks, except the PCV, is that supposed to leak some?!), now the car idles perfectly steady, but again I'm having the problem with the car not even wanting to go, and when I put my foot down some on the gas it lowers the rpms to the point of almost stalling but not, then down the highway it feels sluggish and like it has no power at some times... I've sprayed the hell out of the carb with the car on/cold/off/warm, pretty much every way except driving down the road..)

I dunno guys any suggestions, just throw me every idea you can think of and put them in order on what may be the problem to fix...

Oh ya the top part of my carb and the top walls looks amazingly clean, is there any certain way to clean deeper inside the carb maybe, like under the flaps down in the carb?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX 5sp

Have you checked your booster venturies?
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568
    88 LX 5spd l 32/36 weber l KYB GR-2's l Refreshed A20A3 engine l

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX (still in the running) 1989 Accord Se-I (In the works to being reborn)

check the pcv valve!

my car was doing the exact same thing . I didn't think it was my pcv valve either because I had JUST replaced it but something caused it to fail. I dont know wether it just stop working or if it got clogged?

I replaced it and it seems fine......for now

Vehicle
    Accord LX-i '88

Did you fix it?