Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get this *&^^%$ shifter out?

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

how to get this *&^^%$ shifter out?

ok how does this shifter come out? i already have the heat shield removed out of the way, there has to be a trick here somewhere. also how does the weight ring come off of the factory shift rod? the shift handle rod not the rod under the car, i'm working on a custom shifter right now and i need to get the old one out.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Re: how to get this *&^^%$ shifter out?

I dunno but the auto shifer has a cottor key hidden in the tranny

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    I dunno but the auto shifer has a cottor key hidden in the tranny
    you undo the auto cable at the gearbox end?? i never do (thats prolly how the break all the time haha)

whenever i do anything with the shifter i remove the whole thing, remvoe the 2 bolts under the gear stick and the 10mm holding the stabiliser rod onto the gearbox and the 12mm bolt going through the shifters "universal" joint and pull the whole lot out

i removed my exhaust head sheild as i didnt need it and it got in the way.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    ok how does this shifter come out? i already have the heat shield removed out of the way, there has to be a trick here somewhere. also how does the weight ring come off of the factory shift rod? the shift handle rod not the rod under the car, i'm working on a custom shifter right now and i need to get the old one out.
    Inner circlip under the shifter boot, 12 mm bolt and nut at the bottom. It should then pull out through the top. The weight is pressed on and is very difficult to remove. The whole linkage can be removed by undoing the two nuts that hold the extension bar to the body. Be sure to undo the two interior boots first, as they don't sell the inner one anymore... It's probably toast by now anyway.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle
    1988 EX-i 4dr, 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 1989 se-i 4dr (RIP), 2006 TSX

^^^ Yup that circlip was a bitch without proper tools, held me up for a while/

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by LX-incredible View Post
    Inner circlip under the shifter boot, 12 mm bolt and nut at the bottom. It should then pull out through the top. The weight is pressed on and is very difficult to remove. The whole linkage can be removed by undoing the two nuts that hold the extension bar to the body. Be sure to undo the two interior boots first, as they don't sell the inner one anymore... It's probably toast by now anyway.
    inner one was toast, pulled it out from the bottom as the rear bushing that holds the shifter assembly has the bolts frozen into it, now thats it's out i can free them. they have a rear bushing for an 84 civic on egay for like 12 dollars. if an 84 civic shifter fits the bushing should fit,it looks the same. what a son of a bitch of a job, i have the mugen short shifter here from a later model,the one with the balll bearing end,got it for a buck, but the dam ball is just a little too big. the bolt fits the bearings and everything. bearing end fits in the shift fork end. the rubber bushings off of the factory one even fit over the bearing. it's that dam close. going to go up to work tomorrow and get to cutting and welding on the factory shift arm. anyone got a spare in case i screw this one up?
    oh here is the new shift arm,just have to make the steel part that welds to the factory arm piece. it's machined from a solid piece of billet round bar stock. i have a regulation goofy cue ball thats going to be my shift knob. i wanted a taller shifter arm since i have gorilla arms and my arm always had to be stretched out and down to low in an uncomfortable position.

Vehicle
    88 LX-i Coupe Twins/89 SE-i Coupe/88 Suburban

Cool. The 88-00 civic shifter will work if you use the civic ball cage and a spacer.
    88 LX-i coupe auto (241K DD), 88 LX-i coupe 5-speed, 89 SE-i coupe auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by stat1K View Post
    who is tim and where can i get naughty pictures of him?
    CARDONE SUCKS.

Vehicle

ok the shifter is done, thanks to Bobby Brock at the plant for welding this up,managed to weld it without melting the weights.
    had to wrap a wet rag around the weights to absorb the heat from the welding. and just keeps pressing it into the weight until the steel was cool. I cut off about 4 inches off of the shift lever,then i split it with an end mill,and fit a piece of steel in there. I then hammered the halves together over the steel, and it got welded up. then the ends got rounded off with an angle grinder. the steel bolts to the aluminum arm with two AN bolts. I used AN because they are a precision diameter, and there are no threads through the material. this prevents wear on the aluminum or steel. still have to make an insert for the cue ball, and drill and press it in.

Vehicle

oh majestic has almost all the parts available ,including the lower boot. i have to cut off the bolt heads holding in my bushing to get it out, since the bolts are frozen in the bushing sleeves. i'll drop it all out from underneath, then i can make new sleeves if needed. it's just all corroded together. have an 84 bushing set to replace that bushing and the one in the torque rod,civic set.

Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord 2.0Si

uoi should have made a super short shifter out of it by adding a bit of material to the bottom of the shifter (after it goes threw the ball thing)

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    uoi should have made a super short shifter out of it by adding a bit of material to the bottom of the shifter (after it goes threw the ball thing)
    well i don't mind the shift speeds, i thought about doing that,but i'm happy with the way it shifts, i put aluminum bushings in where it connects to the transmission,so it shifts really well.

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

Quote Originally Posted by AccordB20A View Post
    you undo the auto cable at the gearbox end?? i never do (thats prolly how the break all the time haha)

well the importers cut the original cable and I had to use the one on the car already so I had to swap that.

Lost, great work, that looks tight

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by roodoo2 View Post
    well the importers cut the original cable and I had to use the one on the car already so I had to swap that.

Lost, great work, that looks tight
    i was going for an old style look, i really didn't like anything out there that could be bought,it angles the gear shift backwards and up higher, right where i want it to be. waiting on the oddball replacement parts so it can go back in.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '85 Honda Accord HB

any pics of it inside the car?

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
    well i don't mind the shift speeds, i thought about doing that,but i'm happy with the way it shifts, i put aluminum bushings in where it connects to the transmission,so it shifts really well.
    Where did you get the aluminum bushings? Or can you make me some? How much?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by loko84hb View Post
    any pics of it inside the car?
    i have to get some repair parts for the factory shifter before i put it back in,the lower boot is torn,and the lower dust seal is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    I made the bushings, i had the car at work a while back putting in the steering rack,and because i have oil leaking from the transmission, it kept deteriorating the rubber ones. so while I was there i made some. not sure on the older hondas what the specs would even be. if i had a transmission and the shift rod in front of me,i could make one in no time.

Vehicle

hey if anyone has an old shifter assembly collecting dust with those parts good let me know.

Vehicle

the rear bushings that holds the end of the torque rod,is stuck in the car,the bolts seized to the metal bushings that go through it. i had to bend the plate in the car back just to get the shifter out, and yank it out of the bushing. i'll have to cut the two bolts from inside the car,then i can drive the entire,bushings, bracket,metal bushings,everything down and out. once it's out i can fix it. the plate is easy to fix,just some hammer and dolly work to straighten it back out.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post

I can!

Cost: FREE!!!!!!!11!
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

It think your better of getting the civic short throw. cleaner and well reduce 30% of your throw. but looks good

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    I can!

Cost: FREE!!!!!!!11!
    if i had the specs for his cars would be no problem,i could turn them out of scrap aluminum in no time.

Vehicle

ok managed to get the bracket out in one piece with no damage to it. bolts came out also. so waiting on the poly bushings and when i can afford it i need those repair parts,unless someone has em used for a couple of bucks.

Vehicle

ok the metal plate is reinstalled, the rubber gasket between it and the floor is excellent. it's a son of a bitch getting all those nuts back in from the top. I found it interesting that the gasket between the body and that piece that the shifter comes through has original paint stuck to it. the shifter assembly must have been one of the first pieces to go in after the car came out of paint. the paint would have still been tacky which explains why it was stuck to the gasket. it would have made more sense for it to go in then, no exaust, and no heat shields in the way,easy to hang from the bottom.

Vehicle

i'm on here for a minute, there are more pictures of this project at my site,it's in my signature, also a couple of videos. look under my sidebar for new projects
    Last edited by lostforawhile; 09-02-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Vehicle

in mockup,