Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXI

Re: New to the forum

Here is the DMV website and and maybe you can see about the whole Canadian transfer issue I suppose. Hope it helps.

Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
    1975 year model or older
    Diesel powered
    Electric
    Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
    Motorcycle
    Trailer
    When changing ownership:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffvr32.htm

General smog FAQ:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smog.htm
    Last edited by Bluntman; 05-04-2009 at 05:33 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So an update on the car. I finally got sometime to change out the brake master cylinder and now the car is up and running for good. But I still need to change out the rotors which I had trouble doing the first time and depending on what happens with smog and if I can transfer the car, I will prob have a shop change out the rotors.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Yeah the rotors are a bitch. Shop manual says you need a press... booo! Might be able to get them turned on the car...

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenGuy View Post
    Yeah the rotors are a bitch. Shop manual says you need a press... booo! Might be able to get them turned on the car...
    I have fresh rotors to replace them so I'm just going to have a shop take them off.

I'm crossing my fingers that the DMV will let me pass.....I'm so scared of all my hard work going down the drain cause it won't pass with the DMV.....

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Vigor

cooool interior!!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

So the car finally got a wash in 7+ years. Drove it over to my friend's house even though it doesn't have registration at the moment, I know I know....terrible idea.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Prelude

Nice! Need more pics!!

1986 Honda Prelude build thread
    1981 Honda Accord (sold)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by Hazwan View Post
    Nice! Need more pics!!
    Soon will if I can get the car to pass smog and if the dmv allows it

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Well it doesn't look like my car will be driven on the road now. I tried to get the honda manufacturer to give me a letter of certification or something like that. Well Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......

Can somebody get me a US vin number? like steal it off a junked US car? Or does anybody have any ideas that I can use? Cause I really want to drive this car especially since it was my dad's first car.
    Last edited by The Law; 07-30-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Vehicle
    86 hatchback, 1990 Lincoln Towncar

Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Well it doesn't look like my car will be driven on the road now. I tried to get the honda manufacturer to give me a letter of certification or something like that. Well Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......

Can somebody get me a US vin number? like steal it off a junked US car? Or does anybody have any ideas that I can use? Cause I really want to drive this car especially since it was my dad's first car.
    why can't you get an exemption for it being an out of US car? a 49 state car has to pass the 49 state rules, as long as it's original you should be able to get some kind of exemption go to the SEMA website and try to contact them,they might be able to help.

Vehicle
    79 Accord hatch, 89 CR-X SiR, '74 Z360 h/top, '81 prelude, '65 S600

Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either. Looks like im SOL......
    Pretty frightening outcome!

If the USA required different seatbelt bolt threads that might be difficult to change but it seems unlikely? Belts themselves can be changed easy enough. I wonder if they just couldn't be bothered looking into it properly.
    Other differences might be heavier side-intrusion bars in the doors, child-restraint anchor types & of course the bumpers, metric gauges & the emissionized engine.

If people can manage to register newer RHD JDM with some difficulty it seems absurd you couldn't get a car from Canada!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by 79cord View Post
    Pretty frightening outcome!

If the USA required different seatbelt bolt threads that might be difficult to change but it seems unlikely? Belts themselves can be changed easy enough. I wonder if they just couldn't be bothered looking into it properly.
    Other differences might be heavier side-intrusion bars in the doors, child-restraint anchor types & of course the bumpers, metric gauges & the emissionized engine.

If people can manage to register newer RHD JDM with some difficulty it seems absurd you couldn't get a car from Canada!
    Yeah, I hope I can do something about it. Cause the last thing I want to do is get rid of this car due to it having sentimental value to my father (his first car).

Vehicle

Yeah dude, keep looking into it. You've gotta be able to find a loophole. Maybe call an importer and see what they say. They are the people who get JDM cars imported here. Your other option is to buy a POS 81 Accord and swap the VINs onto yours. Though I think your VIN is etched into the firewall anyways... or did that only start on the 2nd gens... Either way, I think it's doable. Nobody will know, or question and old Accord, since it's not exactly a popular car to import.

Vehicle
    82 Honda Accord B20A, 76 Honda XL 175, 04 Honda Foreman ES, 83 Toyota shortbox 4x4

That is so stupid. The CMVSS requires american cars imported into Canada to have Canadian spec bumpers installed because CMVSS tests theirs at like 3km/h faster than US DOT does.

And that's about it. So fucking stupid.

And why would a Japanese built car have different seat belts for Canada than for the states? I'm sure the parts are identical.

Edit: You should post up the response from Honda USA so we can pick it apart.
    ICHIBAN!
    "Now, even more better!"

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by guyhatesmycar View Post
    That is so stupid. The CMVSS requires american cars imported into Canada to have Canadian spec bumpers installed because CMVSS tests theirs at like 3km/h faster than US DOT does.

And that's about it. So fucking stupid.

And why would a Japanese built car have different seat belts for Canada than for the states? I'm sure the parts are identical.

Edit: You should post up the response from Honda USA so we can pick it apart.
    The response was from a phone call. I should prob email them and ask.

Vehicle

Never hurts to call a second, third or fourth person in a big corporation. You're likely to get a different answer each time. And still have them all be wrong. Happens to me all the time when I deal with HP, Microsoft, Intel, Dell, etc. They're so big nobody knows what's really going on. Fuckers.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Never hurts to call a second, third or fourth person in a big corporation. You're likely to get a different answer each time. And still have them all be wrong. Happens to me all the time when I deal with HP, Microsoft, Intel, Dell, etc. They're so big nobody knows what's really going on. Fuckers.
    Actually, they have me on record.

Vehicle

OMG. This is the first pic I've sen of it all shiny and clean!! Wow looks mint! How did I not see that before!! You need to get that thing registered man!!! One way or another!

Vehicle

I just noticed too. Hazwan's 1gee has the same hood as my hatch. But your sedan has a bit squarer, more chromey hood. A little USDM bling. But neither of you have a fuckin hood ornament!!

Vehicle

I just noticed too. Hazwan's 1gee has the same hood as my hatch. But your sedan has a bit squarer, more chromey hood. A little USDM bling. But neither of you have a fuckin hood ornament!!
    Yep the JDM/N-American saloon hood with the raised center-tip. Never fitted to hatches..... - or even Saloons in most other markets. Diffrent grille to match & didn't have the "ornament" either but Hazwan & I had to remove ours.

Chassis number on the cowl panel...

Vehicle

Honda USA won't pass it cause of seat belt restraints. And it can't be modified to pass either.
    Maybe they are thinking of all the funny/daft "automatic" seatbelts of the late '80's early '90's. Not relevant to older cars.

Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord Hatchback

With regards to 2ndgenguy's "other option" suggestion - pick up the 1974 version of Gone in 60 Seconds, then watch what they do with the Dodge Challenger near the start. It's like a how-to guide!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1978 honda accord

aww man. talk about a cliff hanger. whatever happened with that beauty? oy vey, what a bureaucratic cluster f.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by mopuddin View Post
    aww man. talk about a cliff hanger. whatever happened with that beauty? oy vey, what a bureaucratic cluster f.
    Figured I'd answer your question. The car is now sitting in my backyard and still not registered. Very sad

DX User
    Vehicle
    1981 Honda Accord

Quote Originally Posted by mopuddin View Post
    Figured I'd answer your question. The car is now sitting in my backyard and still not registered. Very sad