Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: DIY catch can

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Re: HOW TO: DIY catch can

No no....run the green tube how it was but put a filter on the valve cover.....so just how you had it but just a filter on the valve...so its a sealed like stock...

SO just take out the blue line and just a filter the rest is good.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran Civic Accord Honda's Avatar
    Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

hmm but id rather run that to the catch can since i have a filter there now and its gets all oily if i drive it in the high rpms alot

1988 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe 123k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    hmm so i can just hook it up like this and it will be fine? it doesn't need the vacuum?
    yup. no "Y" or "t" splice though. keep the lines separate all the way to the can.
    no vacuum if you are using a filter on the can.
    now the other way would use a vacuum line to the can and no filter(sealed) . does that make sense lol.

you know what my civic leaked oil from the black box, all i had to do was replace the o ring.
    Last edited by 89T; 05-31-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    un-motivated!
    someone make me an offer i just could not say no to.

3GR

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

kk ill probably do that then

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx 5Speed

Exclamation Re: HOW TO: DIY catch can

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    WRONG.. Nothing against you...but just cause you have a BAGDE saying your ASE doesnt me your the shit bro im sorry. I learned form guys that have 400hp hondas. SO you telling me using the stock system works LOL. your crazy. i would say by by to your motor if you think so. I learned you have to COMPLETY REDO it for the fact that your ring/ring glads well OWN YOU....So just cause your ASE buddys think its right just keep doing what your doing lol. I have plenty of buddys running vented catch cars or by the kit for b series dont dont have the black box. Not to be a dick but you better go back to your ASE buddys and teach then how it is. Its. AND dont throw that to are faces. I know shit they dont know and i dont know shit that they know.

IM not beening rude but just stating bud.

RENDON

ps. Keeping the block box stock under boost wont work. na ya...but when it comes to boost no. N/A depending how much HP your laying.
    i was not saying that the stock shit works as good or even better than the catch can. And i never said anything about the B series having a "Black Box" other than the B20A. i was just making a point that the pcv valve was a type of filter, and that the black box was not an "OIL WATER SEPARATOR" even made the point that it has a low oil holding capacity making it a really small catch can. i never said it would work better. and knowing people with 400hp hondas does not make you an expert. (Unless you built it that is) but i have CLIENTS with 400/600 and 800hp hondas too. 2 of witch were built by "Skunk2," and the other "Comp. Clutch" it doesn't mean i know everything. but i know this. i have a buddy here with a 432hp "single cam" d16z6 bosted with 26psi running the stock pcv valve(NO CATCH CAN)(mainly because he's cheap). again!!! i'm not saying its better than the catch can, i will always recommend the catch can. But its working for him, ...for now atleast

Now I think that we can all agree that other than regulating the pressure the pcv valve also blocks (or) tries to block the oil from getting into the manifold, Correct?

And the "Black box" is not a "Oil Water Separator". it also keeps oil from getting to the manifold. Correct?

And a catch can "IS" better than the stock PCV Valve. Correct?

Cool. now lets all get back to being lovers and post some really cool catch can ideas.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx 5Speed

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    i know the manifold sucks into the box and i also know that any oil or vapor that is separated in the box dumps/drains back into the oil pan via the tube on the bottom of the separator. I also want to point out the reason the pcv valve gets clogged is because of the contaminants that is being drawn through it into the manifold. a spot where the turbulence is greatest will tend to collect the most amount of contaminants.

So if i go with what you said about the pcv valve and you're explanation that it's a filter.
    Would it be fair to say that the vacuum line from the box to the pcv valve is a filter also. I have seen them clogged before.

I read just about the same thing from a number of other sources, prior to cut and paste and quoting.
    I don't get into the habit of reading one thing and thinking it is the gold standard.
    so ya..
    And you are right separator, filter = same thing.

I have no beef with you either and I don't get mad, I like a healthy debate weather i am right or wrong. If you are right all the time you don't learn anything.
    very true 89t. i like to debate to. and i dont ever get mad but, i have a habit of making other people mad i agree with every thing that you are saying. it would seem that we are on the same page. just lost in translation.

Vehicle
    1986 Accord Lx 5Speed

this a air compressor inline water separator. it also works great as a catch can. and unlike the aluminum catch cans with this you can see the oil level so you know when to dump. pick it up from any hardware store for around 15 bucks.

Vehicle

LOL.. Thats true you where pushing my buttons haha. i have buddys but i helped then install it. not like i was there the whole time but you know.

Those air compressors work great. I was going to install one in my scion but never go to it.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

i've noticed ever since i put my moroso catch can on that my oil always looks clean on the dipstick. even right before i change it. it never gets really dirty. PCV systems are disgusting things.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    87 lx sedan[ R.I.P ] and 89 sei

So what is the easiest way to hook up a catch can to a n/a honda?

Vehicle
    1987 Accord DX 4 door

So in a N/A Accord, would you guys suggest venting the catch can with a filter, or running it to vacuum? Should the black box be removed to avoid letting it do its job or is it fine to just leave it there?

From what I understand, you have a line coming from the valve cover, a line coming from where the PCV valve would go, and either a filtered vent on top, or a line going to manifold vacuum. Am I correct there?
    Last edited by mephi; 06-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    And you will know me by the cloud of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by 'A20A3' View Post
    i've noticed ever since i put my moroso catch can on that my oil always looks clean on the dipstick. even right before i change it. it never gets really dirty. PCV systems are disgusting things.
    you hit the nail right on the head.
    I am curious, did you'r fuel milage get better?

Quote Originally Posted by mephi View Post
    So in a N/A Accord, would you guys suggest venting the catch can with a filter, or running it to vacuum? Should the black box be removed to avoid letting it do its job or is it fine to just leave it there?

From what I understand, you have a line coming from the valve cover, a line coming from where the PCV valve would go, and either a filtered vent on top, or a line going to manifold vacuum. Am I correct there?
    correct.
    If you go with a vacume type system you want to pull vacume pre-throttle body.
    un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    1995 Civic/ 1988 CRX

hows yours connected?

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool86 View Post
    very true 89t. i like to debate to. and i dont ever get mad but, i have a habit of making other people mad i agree with every thing that you are saying. it would seem that we are on the same page. just lost in translation.
    It's all good.

un-motivated!

3GR

to be honest i left the box on, and removed the hose from it. it doesnt leak on anything. i cleaned it out with gumcutter. love that stuff. i imagine a freeze plug would work fine as a blockoff plate though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic Accord Honda View Post
    hows yours connected?
    ask for pic's.lol
    un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    Misty Beige 1988 LXi Coupe

This is true. Homeboy's oil is pristine (of course it's really nice oil).

Vehicle
    1987 Accord DX 4 door

Quote Originally Posted by 89T View Post
    If you go with a vacume type system you want to pull vacume pre-throttle body.
    Carbed, so no pre-throttle vacuum. I'm just really interested in getting all of the nasties out of the oil. I'm kind of starting to suspect that the PCV system is contributing to my smoking issues.

Also, when I hook the hose up, I am hooking it up to where the PCV valve goes, and not the vacuum port that plugs onto the PCV valve, right? I would think that just running it to the PCV vacuum port would cause a major vacuum leak and a high idle, and in my case probably a no run issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mephi View Post
    Carbed, so no pre-throttle vacuum. I'm just really interested in getting all of the nasties out of the oil. I'm kind of starting to suspect that the PCV system is contributing to my smoking issues.

Also, when I hook the hose up, I am hooking it up to where the PCV valve goes, and not the vacuum port that plugs onto the PCV valve, right? I would think that just running it to the PCV vacuum port would cause a major vacuum leak and a high idle, and in my case probably a no run issue.
    you could run a vented can, or if you wanted to use the stock vacuum port you will need a pcv valve. If you don't use one you'll introduce a huge vacuum leak.

you're only other option would be a slash cut tube in the exhaust with a check valve. summitracing.com has a slash cut kit.
    un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle

Just wanted to show you i got er dONE BRO lol

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    1987 Accord DX 4 door

Quote Originally Posted by Rendon LX-i View Post
    Just wanted to show you i got er dONE BRO lol
    So you just disconnected the PCV valve and left the black oil drain back box thing on the back of the engine on or plugged it?
    Last edited by mephi; 06-03-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Vehicle

no i thats why i have the silver can still connected

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

looks good. now take it off and paint it to match the car.
    If you wanted to you could add another fitting for the crank case.
    un-motivated!

3GR

rendon, how would you rate it to make? 1-5.... 1 easy 5 hard?
    un-motivated!

3GR

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

89T - yes i did notice a increase in fuel mileage. but the oil staying cleaner longer made me more happy than the mpg haha

my can is vented, it's run from the metal hose line off the back of the oil pan(the one that used to have the little rubber hose on it that went to the black box) up to the catch can. i left the black box on the motor, but its been cleaned out with gumcutter as to prevent any of that nasty old sludge to come out all over the place. the only thing that really pisses me off, is that the fitting coming off the oil pan is at such a shitty angle for running a line. theres little clearance from the driver side axle. it took me 2 hose clamps(tightened to DEATH) and a bunch of "persuasion" to make it leak free.

i still need to drill a extra hole in it so i can run the line from my vlave cover to it as well. i don't want to recirculate any of this shit anymore. it's not beneficial to the motor. period.
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Joay View Post
    This is true. Homeboy's oil is pristine (of course it's really nice oil).

the witness! Amsoil +1
    -Harvey