Thread: how low is too low to use rear camber kit

how low is too low to use rear camber kit

I went into schwabs today and ordered the last of my suspension parts and on that list was a set of rear arms that adjust camber through the arms not the mounts like the spc ones online. the guy who always does me right and keeps it pretty straight forward says fi I lower the car the way i want the tire will rub the fender upon suspension travel. My rims are 38mm offset I think I remember, fender lips are rolled, Im swapping the bushings for poly units, suspension techniques sway bars basically done up what I would feel is right.

Ive got koni struts and ground control springs. they will sit basically like phillie's car did after he put the k-sports in. I want the top of the rear treads to be even or just lower than the fender. i dont want to be able to put a finger in there but I do want to have travel and a level looking car when im done.

What do you guys think. Is he wrong and hes just being cautious keeping me from dropping 150 bucks on a part I cant use or should I order it and install it anyways.

Dont bug me on schwabs either, they change my tires and do my alignments. i do all the installs and I use them to order the parts because of the payment program and Im super broke right now.

Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord sedan B-series

Re: how low is too low to use rear camber kit

I had the problem to mike.. You would have to roll your finders. Mine barely clears. when i meant barely i mean a sheet of papar barely clears LOL

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord LXi, Coupe & Sedan

What camber adjust parts is he referring to?
    Phil

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Whats the exact size of your wheels? I was slammed to the point of no return on 15x6 +45 w/ 205/50/15's and still had a little bit of clearance between the fender and the outer wall of my tire. I was tucking half of my tire. Camber should allow you to clear, but I never tried any wider wheels when I had the car so I can't tell you for sure.

edit* forgot to mention I had no camber correction, so naturally I ate up tires lol.
    Last edited by codyJDM; 06-01-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Vehicle

I got the Moog rear camber kits. with ball joints they where 100 each with joint. The front i used ingalls. theres no adjustment thou. Just one setting. works good enought

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

Ive already rolled my fenders. the wheels are 215/35-18 with 38mm offset. I think. This is what I remember but Ill check in the am. The parts Im reffering to are the spc rear upper control arms which allow you adjust the cmaber by lengthening or shortening the distance of the ball jiont from the body mount.

When your car was dumped cody, did you get an alignment done and if so where you able to get a decent one done.

Vehicle

Umm thats what i got but i got mine from napa for 100 each with joint mike. i had a alignment done which i did myself. using the hunter is so easy. but was a pain getting to the adjustment. its decent enough for me.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

edit just checked they are 42mm offset and yes the size is 215/35-18. The sticky at the top says they fit but im wondering how well. The eibach springs on the coilovers are pretty tough, the rolled fenders should allow a few extra mm for tire clearances.

Worst case Ill order them and install them but not be able to get full advantages from them. Anything is better than nothing in my eyes Im just used to being too analitical and over emphasizing situations.

Ive got the prelude arms up front as well as the ingalls camber kit. Im good there but Im not sure about the rears. Ive been looking at pics and the tires are actually pretty perpindicular even at low drop rates. Does anyone know what there rear camber was when the tire was even with the fender?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

ull be fine bro. I had 215/45/17's that had a +45 offset, and the rear was close to rubbing but never did. Now the front rubbed on HARD braking. Still does. All it does is just eat up the platic fender lining
    let me get a pic real fast.
    Front:

Rear:

whole car:

and my alignment was within specs too. had a slight bit of camber wear but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

Vehicle
    '88 civic wagon

Quote Originally Posted by mykwikcoupe View Post
    Ive already rolled my fenders. the wheels are 215/35-18 with 38mm offset. I think. This is what I remember but Ill check in the am. The parts Im reffering to are the spc rear upper control arms which allow you adjust the cmaber by lengthening or shortening the distance of the ball jiont from the body mount.

When your car was dumped cody, did you get an alignment done and if so where you able to get a decent one done.
    I had my alignment done without any camber correction. Caster and toe were both in spec though. I went to a friends shop and used little pieces of wood to get it to clear the lift.

It didn't pull or anything and I was pretty satisfied especially considering the ridiculous drop.

Vehicle
    a pile of lawn ornaments

Mike, with 42mm offset there's only one more bit of info needed on this one. What is the width of the wheels?

Let me also run some numbers on that tire size to see what I come up with. Be back in a sec...

Edit, OK, I think I know what could be the problem with the rubbing with the 18's...

Stock 13" tire size: 185/70-13 (589.2mm total diameter)
    Stock 14" tire size: 195/60-14 (589.6mm total diameter)
    15" tire options: 205/50-15 = 586mm total diameter.
    ......................195/55-15 = 595.5mm total diameter

Your 18": 215/35-18 = 607.7mm total diameter.
    Last edited by markmdz89hatch; 06-02-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    -Mark D.

Vehicle

My camber was really bad and toe was bad at the rear.

200+ ALL MOTOR LS VTEC

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    88coupe

crap. i just realized u were talking about 18s.

dono man. dono. u prob would have to do 215/30

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    pullin up turbo spoolin fast lookin fly like a 3g like a 3g like a 3g

according to miata.net tire size calculator the size of my chioce is 1/2 in larger in diameter than stock. thus total would be 1/4in larger on top. I dont see this being a big change i cannot live with. the rolling speed at 60 from the speedometer is really 61.9 mph so thats liveable for me. The rims are a 7.5in width mark. Im planning on the suspension cleaning and finilazing next week as parts show up. Ill post pics and such.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

It reality you could run your camber just about anywhere negative in the rear with out much effect on tire wear unless you haul wood around in your car in the fall. I got some pictures on here with mine setup all all negative as far as the Ingalls arms would go / \ with no tire wear. Theres just no weight back there to do anything with.

Now .... if you need to run positive camber in rear to get the tires not to rub there may be something with the handling you wont like.

wp

EDIT: ill search for you
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48440
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 06-03-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!