Thread: Acceleration problem

LX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord EX (1.6) carb Manual

Acceleration problem

Ive got an evil gremlin of a problem with my carby accord

in any gear when Im at about 2500 revs and give it full gas it hesitates and sounds like the engine is sucking air from one carb throat - and then at some later stage would struggle to reach 4500 revs on full gas.

Ive checked the secondary and its dashpot holds vacuum just fine.
    Im also suspecting it to be a dizzy prob - coz I adjust the idle timing at 9 degrees (A16A1) - the only vacuum line to the dizzy removed - reattach it and go for a ride it pings itself like marbles - readjust it to 3 degrees - it doesnt ping but is slower than a 0 compression VW bus with a 1.2 boxer I adjust it to 5 degrees and dont press the gas pedal full - thats how Im driving it

Any input please

Vehicle
    1989 honda accord LX

Re: Acceleration problem

check your plugs, i had the same problem so i decided to check my plugs and they were all burned out so i changed them and now it runs fine under heavy acceleration. if that is not the problem then i would clean your carb with some carb cleaner and if that does not work then i have no idea what the problem could be. (sry if that is not helpful, i'm new to carbs)

DX User

I think I am having the same problem.

It seems to hesitate on opening the secondary, once its really warm though, then it seems to haul.

not sure what the problem is.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LX

same problem here, my car accelerates like a vw bus. it goes from 0-60 kmh in approximately 9 seconds

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Just sounds like you have no vacuum advance to me. Make sure your vacuum hose from your distributor hooks up to Ported Vacuum (before the throttle plate) on your intake, and not manifold vacuum (after the throttle plate). Also I'm used to EFI models with two distributor vacuum ports, do carbed A20's only have one vacuum port on the distributor?

Vehicle
    86 Accord DX four-door sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Fixedit View Post
    Just sounds like you have no vacuum advance to me. Make sure your vacuum hose from your distributor hooks up to Ported Vacuum (before the throttle plate) on your intake, and not manifold vacuum (after the throttle plate). Also I'm used to EFI models with two distributor vacuum ports, do carbed A20's only have one vacuum port on the distributor?
    My carbed 86 has two vac ports on the dizzy

Vehicle
    86 LX JDM B20A

yes there are two vaccuum advance "positions" to a lot of these so if the hoses are swapped it can get too much or not enough. Also you may want to check the centrifugal advance is working.