Thread: SE-i steering wheel controls

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX

SE-i steering wheel controls

I just got an se-i and it has the steering wheel radio controls. The problem is that's about all it has from the bose system. The stock stereo is gone as well as the bose speakers.

My question is, are the steering wheel controls useless or can I somehow wire them to control one of todays stereo systems?

Banned
    I would say they are worthless. I dont know how you can adapt the functions of the controls into just the wiring of a cd player. If there arent any hookups on the back of the cd player made for that, then I think you are out of luck.

Nate.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX
    Thanks. I figured that was the case. I should've bid on the cd player and tape deck on ebay a few months ago. Oh well.

Vehicle
    see user name
    Actually, the answer is No, they are not worthless. What you will need is called a steering wheel radio control interface. I think Crutchfield carries them.. Just go to there site I guess and do a search for..Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface...
    It works by learning the codes to the remote control for the head unit. So in order for it to be useful, you would need to get a head unit that comes with a remote control so that you can program the interface..

I don't know if any one has done this yet, but it sounds like a good idea. I am thinking about buying an se-i steering wheel for my lx-i just so I can do this mod.

Let me know if you decide to do it. Hope this helps..

Peace out..
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    see user name
    89 Lx-i
    Performance: K&N filter,custom CAI, Accel coil, MSD 6aL ignition, magnecor wires, high flow injectors, FPR, sport exhaust,Tokico springs/struts
    Appearance: white gauges, side markers, headlight conversion, clear bumper signal/fog light conversion, SE-i center armrest and cupholder, SE-i leather seats
    17" ADRs with 205/40/17 khumos
    future plans: 16" or 17" rims(can scratch that one off the list 9-12-02), headers-high flow cat.-cat back piping. Rear disc brakes from SE-i, reground cam.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX
    This looks tempting. Thanks for the info. I may give it a shot, but I have to figure out what I'm going to do about the wires for the speakers and wire harness. The person had a stereo installed and I guess the installer decided to run all new cable and cut off the wire harness. What I have there now is all a mess since I got the car without speakers and a stereo.

Good luck finding an SE-I steering wheel.

Vehicle
    89 Accord SE-i Coupe
    Are the steering wheel controls removable?
    Performance Modz: Short Ram Air Intake, Custom Exhaust w/o Cat & Resonator, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, Accel Coil, Removed AC

Other Modz: Clear Blinkers, Purple Calipers, Accord Emblem On Dash, Winking Headlights

LX User
    Vehicle
    89 SEI Honda Accord
    Attending college in SC but actually from the U.S. Virgin Islands
    I just had to let mine go, suck it up and drive on.
    Canman. Reppin for the VI till the day I die.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX
    Yeah, they're removable.

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 honda lxi
    i got the ones in my girls benz 2001 500 to work with the alpine avc-1003 flip up screen bye soldering inners of remote and wheel controls to gether with ribbon wire and useing the factory wires thought colom and extending them to mount the transmiter in the center consol aiming at the deck its not that difficult just time consuming

Vehicle
    10/Honda/Ridgeline
    spending money on an interface is tempting, but is it worth it? To me, it is. so get it. if it works, that is. I would buy that shit man. I stole the control from the junk, but u know what, i dont have the wiring harness that goes from it to the deck, so bummer.

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX
    I've got the harness, but some guy hacked the shit out of it to put in another stereo. I've got to take a hard look out it to figure out what wire is what since the harness is gone. From what I read it basically just works by acting as the remote for the receiver. You need to put a transmitter somewhere. I've got to get through october and midterms before I can really dig into it. It's driving me nuts. I have some much I want to do and no time at all to do it.

DX User
    Vehicle
    '89 SEi Coupe

It works...

I put the PAC SWI-X into my Acura Legend, and it works great. I tried to put one into my gf's car, a '89 Accord SE-i Coupe, and the problem was that I could not identify the correct wire that carries the signal from the steering wheel controls. In my Acura, there was a separate connector to the original Bose HU.

I tried testing every wire in the original factory 16-pin connector, and could not find the signal.

So, the answer is, if you can find the signal from the steering wheel controls, and you buy a HU that is compatible with a remote control, then the SWI-X works great. Here are some pics from my Legend...

A pic of the console and HU...

A pic of the IR sender unit installed so that it is aimed at my HU...

Vehicle
    '89 Accord DX
    You couldn't find the signal wire? I haven't gotten the chance to play around with it. It'll probably by it soon. If I get it to work I'll let you know how I did it.

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 LXi hatch silver tan
    you could alaways buy a head unit with a remote that attaches to your steering wheel. My friend got an mp3 cd player unit and it came with a small wheel remote that latched on to the outer part of the wheel it works great.
    Mods:
    Kenwood Head Unit
    Kenwood 6.5's allaround
    Rockford 150s Amp
    Pioneer 12" sub

Planned mods:
    6x9's mounted next to my sub
    maybe a 2 inch drop.

Next Car: 1996 prelude vtec

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 honda accord lxi
    the pac unit is really cool........ive put a few in and never had any problems........get em at best buy!